This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greedy bastard at a chinese buffet

At a local chinese buffet, weekends(Friday and saturday) have all you can eat crab legs.

Well, This restaruant also has a carry-out service that charges by the pound (a higher rate on seafood than regular food).

Friday night, I went with my dad to this restaurant and... there was no crab legs. The steamer was completely empty.

Oh well, I got myself a bowl of soup and some egg rolls and in five minutes the waitress(whom knew me and my dad) told me they just put some crab legs out. So I got up and walked out there... EMPTY AGAIN!

This time, however, I saw a guy at the take out counter with 5 take out boxes(and these are the big styrafoam take out boxes, not those little ones, and the last one on the scale open, showing crab). This guy was HUGE.... at least 300 lbs.

Now as I grumbled and went back to my table I did the math in my head... for the price of snow crab legs, he's paying so much more for going to the restaurant and doing this than say going to a grocery store, buying by the pound, and steaming at home.... or taking the $10.99 all you can eat cost and eat at the restaurant.

But really, what a fat bastard.

Well, great, now I feel like a blimp! I'm just shy of 300 pounds, but I've been told I wear it well, as I'm also 6'5", so you really can't tell I'm that fat...
    And, yes, I know you weren't directing anything at me.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I won't make those kind of quick judgment, because even through he was fat. You still don't know if all that food was for him or he was picking up food for a group of folks. You said it was Friday and Saturday, alot of people have people at their house to "eat". I've seen very large folks (300+) that eat less than some 120lb folks. (Not saying some are large because they're eating a house daily) I'm large as well, and my brother, who weights about as much as my leg, eats more than I do.

That being said, I think your anger is misdirected. The restaurant allows for it so he didn't do anything wrong (in the classic sense). He might have told the cashier before he did it. When I go to a buffet, I expect that some food might be gone by the time I get there. That's why it's a buffet
      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I think what's worse is when they're staying in the restaurant (and paying the buffet price) and they take all the crab legs. (When I say "they" I'm talking about any rude person who thinks that the world revolves around them, not basing anything on size, just level of rudeness.) I've seen people literally wait at the buffet line, hassle the employees, and then when the crab legs finally come out, take nearly the entire bunch of them, leaving only the puny or broken ones behind.

I know that food at the buffet is hit or miss, especially on an item like crab legs, but my God in Heaven people! SHARE!!!

Comment

Quoth Liannah
          I think what's worse is when they're staying in the restaurant (and paying the buffet price) and they take all the crab legs. ...
          ...I know that food at the buffet is hit or miss, especially on an item like crab legs, but my God in Heaven people! SHARE!!!
          Some Chinese buffets in my area have had to discontinue the crab legs for this very reason. Stupid selfish people have ruined it for all of us.

*EDit-No need to quote the entire post
          Last edited by Ree; 07-15-2006, 02:20 PM.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This has happened to all the Chinese buffets I've been to. There was this old couple (late 60's, I would wager) who has a table very close to the crab legs. Once the servers brought more out, they would rush out like a fire drill and take all of them.

Yes, they took ALL OF THE CRAB LEGS. And they did it multiple times. What the heck? I understand it's a buffet, but shouldn't there be a courtesy of leaving some for the others?

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind
              ...You still don't know if all that food was for him or he was picking up food for a group of folks. ...
              ...your anger is misdirected. The restaurant allows for it so he didn't do anything wrong (in the classic sense).
              There may be no rule against it, but it's still rude. The guy wasn't the only person in the restaurant. How is it fair to the other patrons that they can't have a certain item because somebody else hogs all of it? They paid $10.99 apiece to eat there, and that's most likely because of the crab legs on the buffet.

And I highly doubt he was picking up food for other people. Nobody does that at the Chinese places in my town. It's much easier to buy the crab legs at the grocery store and prepare them at home.

*EDIT-No need to quote the entire post
              Last edited by Ree; 07-15-2006, 02:22 PM.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You know, my friend who is nearly 6' and only weighs 120 pounds can out-eat nearly anyone. It's freaking crazy. He eats and eats and eats and doesn't gain weight. He always takes TONS of stuff at buffets and leaves little left.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

On sizes, hubby and I found it interesting to compare the world strongman champs with the world hot dog eating contest on ESPN recently (morbid curiosity).

The competitors in the world strongman competitions are almost exclusively big fat guys. I mean generally fat, not just well built. They have beer bellies. They have fat faces. These are exceptionally strong blokes, but they don't look it.

The competitors in the hot dog eating contest (who the hell can eat 54 hot dogs??@!!) were almost exclusively skinny little people. They were listed as various champs in other food eating contests. How these people put it away, I have NO idea.

So, size gives no indication.

I was going to make myself a tee shirt with a photo of each saying "Word Strongman. World Hot Dog Eating Champ. Me? I'm okay."

Comment

The point isn't that the guy took all the crablegs(twice!), it's that he took them To Go(in To Go Boxes), effectively eliminating seafood for everyone else in the restaurantfor a good 20 minutes.

Yes, he paid for it(literally) in the much higher poundage rate seafood has To Go at the restaurant, which again I point out how he could have gotten the same amount for a fraction of the cost.

A buffet should be there for everyone to enjoy. Taking food from the buffet for Takeout, at the qualities where there is none left for everyone else who came in to enjoy a nice Friday evening meal with their family, while not against any sort of rule, is surely a very dickish thing to do.

Comment

I agree with Knifeman. Yes, the guy technically had a right to take all the crab legs he wanted, as he'd paid for them. However, it is rude and greedy to take ALL of one particular item, especially at a buffet, irrespective of whether you've "paid for it" or not. I think we have all run across sucky customers who feel that because they have handed over a small amount of money, they are entitled to behave like a rude pig to everyone else, because of course, they are the almighty customer and the customer is always right....
                      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                      - Dave Barry

Comment

Chuck-a-Rama got sued

About a year ago here in Utah some family sued Chuck-a-Rama, because the manager told them they couldn't have any more of the roast because they were eating it all and weren't leaving any for the other customers.

Comment

Quoth Knifeman
                          The point isn't that the guy took all the crab legs(twice!), it's that he took them To Go(in To Go Boxes), effectively eliminating seafood for everyone else in the restaurantfor a good 20 minutes.
                          You saying that your complaint is he took the food to go. Does that mean, that if he piled it all on a plate and ate it all in front of you. It makes it not a problem for you anymore? Whether he took it to go or did it in the restaurant, there still wouldn't been any crab legs for you.

That's means the restaurant wasn't very good at keeping up demand for the buffet. 10 mins to add more crab legs, I place the blame on the restaurant. I suspect that if the dude was 80lbs, you would have reacted much differently. I got a favorite all you-can-eat Chinese buffet that I go to once in a while. It's a small place with only 2 or 3 employees and they replace food faster than 10 mins.

Yes, the dude was "rude" by taking all the crab legs twice. However, your post was more directed on the fact that he was "fat". It's even on the title.
                          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

He WAITED TEN MINUTES after doing it once(clearing the steam plate) to FRIGGING DO IT AGAIN!

If he was dining in and did it once, the rest of us would've had a chance to take fresh crab legs when they were brought out again... BUT he lingered at the front counter(just 5 steps from the buffet) for them to bring out more.

I'm sorry, but htat's a dickish thing to do.

Comment

This reminds me of a trip my family took years ago too . . .

Baltimore which is known for their crab industry and we were there for my dad's Navy ship reunion. Anyway one of the things the reunion did was to take a dinner cruise and it lasted about 3 hours. It was a buffet and I couldn't remember what they had but they did have crab cakes. Anyway each person was only allowed to have one crab cake and they made sure by having a server where the the crab cakes were on the buffet. Anyway I'm thinking maybe that's what the Chinese buffet should do with the crab legs and well, I know that might not happen becuase of labor issues.

On the subject about skinny people eatting so much food you wonder where they put it. Well, SM likes to bring in baked goods from time to time and well, I probably eat one of them but one the AMs seems to eat about 4 or 5 at a time. Now this AM is much thinner then me (I'm bit over weight) and yet she eats more junk then I would. Anyway last week or so SM brought some homemade goodies in and well, after a day or two most were gone. SM asked if I had any and I said just one. Well, the night before the skinny AM was there and she must have eaten quite a few. We joked where she put it because I can't see it and well, the SM told me she was trying to fatten up the AM.

Anyway when I was the shipping clerk, the webmaster was obese man well, when I started and he was on all kinds of diets. Well, I would joked about this with the boss and other co-workers the webmaster wasn't there (I think we joked more about his size then the diets). Well, whenever someone brings in treats he had to refuse because he was on a diet and I think he had finally luck with the South Beach Diet but I don't know really. I think one reasons he failed with his diets his wife because she didn't want to make two different meals and well, pretty much let just say she wore pants in that relationship. We also made fun of his wife because we throught she was witch and even the devil a couple times (yep, I still know the noises I made everytime they left) but that's another post.
                              Last edited by rdp78; 07-17-2006, 01:55 AM.
                              Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                              My space
                              Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X