This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grr....getting rather cranky now!!

This last week, on Monday, I went to adjust my thermostat only to discover my A/C heating unit has given up the ghost. The thermostat still reads the temperature correctly and all that, but no matter what temp I set it to, dragging it up or down, the unit never kicks on. I tried switching the fan on, just to get some air circulating.

Nothing.

so, I do what I, as a resident of this apartment complex, am supposed to do in such cases. I submit a request to Central Maintenance dispatch, detailing the situation, and requesting repairs. I do this Monday evening, and send it via email. (Paper trail!!)

Tuesday afternoon, I get back from work, and upon coming home, attempt to turn the fan on again. Still nothing.

<Sigh> I trudge over to the main leasing office, and asked if my request had been received, and when were they going to look into it?

See, around here, there's a maintenance guarantee posted on the website:

We guarantee to provide next working day service on the following: Mechanical problems with your air-conditioning or heating system, refrigerator, exterior sewer line, hardware on your exterior doors, interior plumbing, stove, and oven. Your rent may be rebated if we do not!
    (emphasis mine)

So, one would assume this to mean that they'd have been in on Tuesday, right? Right? Also, the maintenance guys are supposed to leave notes, indicating they'd entered your apartment and for what reason. I saw no note.

I'm told by one of the office ladies that she'll call the head maintenance guy, and she does indeed radio him while I'm standing there. The info is that all maintenance workers are staying later, until 8 p.m., to try and fill all service requests. (It's about 4:30 when I'm in there) so yippee, I should be seen to, yes!

Right, 8:30 that night, I give up hope, switch on my ceiling fan in my bedroom and leave every door from my bedroom open, hoping to get some circulation going.

Wednesday morning, as I'm toddling out of the house to go to school, I swing by the leasing office again, and talk to the same lady, asking if my A/C unit is going to get fixed today.

She says "sure!"

I say, "great! See you later!"

Get home from school/hanging out with a friend around 5:30ish.

No note. No evidence of work being done. I try to switch the fan on. Still nothing.

By the time I get around to doing this it's after 6, and since the office closes at 6, I couldn't do anything, or see anyone, so once again with the ceiling fan turned on for air circulation. and the fan above my stove, too, for good measure.

Today, I had to get up at 5 a.m. to get to work on time. Just got home about 15 minutes ago. Still no note, no evidence of work being done, and a broken A/C-heating unit.

Motherfucker....Lupo is getting REALLY cranky!!!

I stopped to detail it all here, so I can vent before I go ONCE AGAIN to the office to try to figure this the fuck out.

I'm printing out the email confirmation of my service request being received, and the quoted portion above from their very own website. I will be icily polite and firm. They won't know what hit them. I will not turn SC, nor will I be moved to violence (in reality. In my head is a whole 'nother story)

Wish me luck, cuz here I go!!

You should request that your rent be reduced for the month by the daily amount x days past their guarantee that you were without heat and air conditioning. In most states, a habitable living space must by law be provided to tenants, including working heat and in some states air conditioning. Your apartment was not habitable while its heating/air conditioning unit was broken, and their maintenance guarantee was not fulfilled, so you are entitled not to pay for those days. It's not being a sucky customer/tenant if you simply show them your proof of the guarantee and the email confirmation, and tell them you feel a reduction in rent for those days is in order. If they refuse you haven't really lost anything, but they shouldn't, since you are legally entitled to a habitable apartment and technically could report them to the nearest housing authority for not maintaining climate control units.
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Went to the office around 5:20. The lady there radioed maintenance, and asked the guy who answered if he would go there right now. He said yes. I heard him. I came back to meet him. And nothing. For 30 minutes I sat here. Time wasn't wasted however, and I wrote a letter, documenting the failure to uphold the maintenance guarantee, and as I'm walking to the office to get it signed, I pass a maintenance guy. He asks me if my apartment is ### and I say yes, and he asked what the problem was.

I explained, and told him I was taking a letter to the office, and I would be right there. He said ok.

As I'm waiting in the office, said maintenance man comes in, talks to the lady I'm waiting to see, I hear my apartment number, and then he leaves.

I give the letter to the woman, get her signature that she received it, and come back, expecting and hoping beyond hope that maintenance man will be here, FIXING the problem.

Nope. Not here.

He hadn't left the office for more than 5 minutes before I came back to my apartment and NOTHING has been fixed!

I'm beyond cranky at this point, I'm pissed off and I cry when I'm pissed off, so I'm in tears, too, on top of it all.

I just want something to WORK, and be fixed promptly when it breaks like they GUARANTEE!!

Dammit!!

I hate crying, so now I need to go do something to calm down before I go BACK to the office, which is now CLOSED and do something drastic.

Comment

Uh...having to edit since you posted and then I posted since we posted at the same or near the same time.

I sorries Lupo, Go kick some rear end and take names.

Comment

They're lucky I'm not there.

My old apartment complex learned to do any needed repairs as quickly as possible.
          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Those lazy !

If i were there I would be...giving you moral support. (I am a confessed weakling.)

In all my best fantasies, though, there would be lots of yelling and and people fixing your stuff Right Now, Because I Said So (tm).

*offers hugs and herb tea*
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
              *offers hugs and herb tea*
              <Drowns in the cup.>

Mmmm....tea....

So, they did come and fix things. Around an hour and a half later AFTER I was told he'd be there "right now"

Yay.

Wanna know what REALLY irks me. 3 days....3 DAYS of runaround? And it's a 15 minute fix.

I shit you not, he came in, fiddled with some things, figured out that there was a wiring issue, replaced TWO FUCKING WIRES, and my ac/heating unit was back online.

I've decided I'm going to just be happy everything is fixed. And that in the letter I sent to the manager, I politely, but firmly reminded them of their guarantee AND their policy. (quoted directly off the website AND the paperwork I have), and even complied with their conditions and whatnot, explaining that even going by said conditions, I'm owed, at the very least, one day of rent prorated. We'll see how that goes.

I'll keep y'all updated. And now I'm off for bed.

<Runs away with the rest of RP's tea>

Comment

I wish I was told. I'd have growled at her the same way I growled at that other lady.

Or is it the same one??
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Nope, different woman (women, techinically, since I was talking to 2...)

I tried to growl, really I did. I just...haven't really been myself I guess.

either way, it's done and I can't WAIT for tomorrow. And a nice, temp regulated home to host in is alway a plus...

Comment

I made the meatloaf tonight since I'll be busy tomorrow (have to stop at the bank) but it's going to roxxor!
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'm luckier than I deserve.

The maintenance man here is my brother.

Never did come around in December to make sure the windows were closed to his employers' standards, though...
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I made the tea and the bruschetta. Eggs need to be peeled and filling made, but that can be done tomorrow.

The Honorable Fuzzy Wuzzy needs to answer me, though!! How can I coordinate if he doesn't ANSWER!?!

Grr.

Enough. bed time for realz.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                          The Honorable Fuzzy Wuzzy needs to answer me, though!! How can I coordinate if he doesn't ANSWER!?!
                          Here I am!! I answered you, via text message and you replied so we're good! Sorry for being uncommunicative this week. Been a crazy week at work (and at home) and didn't have time to get online very long.

On Topic: Man first the New Year's incident, now this? Seriously? What the hell?! Me thinks you need to move to a different apartment complex Lupo. Then again that's easier said then done.....

Comment

Working...
                          X