This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my phone goes off at 5 am....

....waking me out of a dead sleep. And I answer the phone in my typical Woken From the Dead way.

"Hello?!?"

I know what you're thinking. You are sick of hearing me whine about my idiot friends calling me at stupid times for stupid reasons. Well, so am I. Luckily for both of us, this is NOT one of those threads.

For once, someone actually called me at a bad time for a GOOD reason.

Without going into details, a friend of mine who I wouldn't ever expect to call me at a screwball time in general, let along for a screwball reason, was having a minor breakdown emotionally, and just needed someone to talk to.

THIS, my friends, is a valid emergency in my book, despite said friend's approximately 843 apologies for waking me up. (I finally told them if they apologized one more time, they WOULD be sorry.)

And THIS is one reason I keep my ringer on. Because when my friends need help, whether it's a ride because they're too drunk or because ghosts from their pasts are causing them to go to That Dark Place, I will be there.

Not that I like being woken up at 5 am. I don't. I pointedly don't. But when I can help a friend, when they tell me that they feel much better just for having talked to me.....then it's all worth it.

Thank you. You may now return to your regularly scheduled complaints, grievances, and bitch sessions.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

You are a good man Jester, I do the same thing for the most part. I did have to cut ties to a few friends who abused this by when I caught them in a lie. They were calling saying one of their friends mom was having a heart attack (why they weren't calling 911 is another question I had for them), but the kicker was.... one of their friends called me warning me about them going to call me.

Comment

You've done a very good thing Jester. Sometimes many of us go to That Dark Place, and need someone to talk to. Unfortunately, we don't always find someone, and then it turns bad. So thank you for being there for your friend.

Comment

You're someone I'd actually like to make friends with.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
          I did have to cut ties to a few friends who abused this by when I caught them in a lie.
          This woman is not one of those types. As soon as I saw the caller ID, I knew there was most likely a very good reason why she was calling, and it wasn't just random drunk dialing.

It wasn't.

Still A Customer."

Comment

hmm yea after too much drunk dial abuse i dont live my ringer on at night any more

Comment

Quoth RedHeadPhoneGirl View Post
              You've done a very good thing Jester. Sometimes many of us go to That Dark Place, and need someone to talk to. Unfortunately, we don't always find someone, and then it turns bad. So thank you for being there for your friend.
              I second this. Minor breakdowns get major awfully quick. You're a good guy.
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                Minor breakdowns get major awfully quick.
                That they do. I had one a few months ago, and I was about to just get in my car and take off. Where to, I have no idea. I was on the computer, and I was about a minute away from taking off, when one of my close friends who doesn't chat online much just happened to sign in and start talking to me. I told her what was going on, and she told me to come over. I vaguely remember even driving over there, and don't even remember much about the events that led up to the state I was in, but I remember feeling like I'd never feel any kind of joy again. But somehow, by the time I left my friend's place, I was smiling again.

I also try to be that person for my friends when they get that way. It's a nice feeling when someone comes to you feeling like complete and total crap, and in the end you have them smiling or even laughing.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  I also try to be that person for my friends when they get that way. It's a nice feeling when someone comes to you feeling like complete and total crap, and in the end you have them smiling or even laughing.
                  It is. That's how some of my best friends got to be best friends. Things like that. It's why I keep my own phone on all the time myself. I never know when someone will need me, or I will need them.
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    I vaguely remember even driving over there, and don't even remember much about the events that led up to the state I was in, but I remember feeling like I'd never feel any kind of joy again.
                    That's how it is for a lot of people when they go to That Dark Place. You don't know how you got there, but you feel like you'll never get out. Thank god for people like you, Jester, RP, Smiley, and my Sir... If it weren't for people like this, I don't know if I'd still be here. So thank you again

Comment

Last time I went to that dark place, I was on the freeway going to work...

I felt my car start drifting toward the guardrail over a good sized drop that I probably wouldn't have made it out alive from.

I called the SO, he told me to come home RIGHT F***ING NOW, so I did.

I'm so happy he leaves his ringer on at 2 AM
                      Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

I've been to that dark place a lot, especially recently. But fortunately, I have some good friends that keep an eye out for me, and pull me back from the brink when I need it.
                        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Jester, you sound like someone I would hang out with if we lived waaay closer.

You remind me of one of my friends.
                          "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                            You remind me of one of my friends.
                            Your friend is either a really cool motherfucker or a major asshole. Or both. (The two are not mutually exclusive, in my experience.)

Either way, thank you.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                              Jester, you sound like someone I would hang out with if we lived waaay closer.
                              I second this.

Comment

Working...
                              X