This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverfish control with pets?

No, not using pets...although when McGriff was younger he would happily eat any insect he could catch (watching him crunching away on a moth was amusing).

Mom's finding silverfish in the apartment. We're not sure where they come from; they've been mainly in the kitchen, but the other night she found one in her knitting stash

The only silverfish-control stuff I could find was boric acid powder, which is no good to use because McGriff will investigate anything that's loose on the floor and we really don't want anything happening.

What I'm looking for is something that a cat cannot get to or be hurt by. Any ideas? Mom would prefer a natural solution.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

so gross!! we get them in our bathroom and ive had em in my bedroom (next to the bathroom oh joy)

i bought some clear spray from a Home Depot type store and its supposedly pet safe (though i dont have any pets) that might help. however, i wound up using industrial strength stuff cuz those f*ckers are resilent.

ETA: they like to hide in piles of things and behind baseboards BTW (hence why you might have found it in her knitting). they love dust and piles of paper too.
    Last edited by artifical sweetner; 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

She has a dustbuster in the kitchen so I've just been squashing/vacuuming the things up as I see them. It's been pretty rainy here the past few days, mom's thinking that might be causing them to come up from the basement.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I would suggest that your mom try the boric acid. If I recall, it's sold in bottles that have a sort of nozzle top so the powder can be squirted into small areas. Follow the application directions on the label, don't simply broadcast it in open areas.

Basically, limit the application to areas inside cabinets and behind baseboards, where the cat can't get to it. Boric acid is not and never has been meant to be broadcast over large areas, such as carpets.

Vacuum up any of the powder that does get into an open area where the cat can get to it.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Diatomaceous earth works on most of the crawlers, and is safe for pets, children, and other small animals...

Comment

Working...
          X