This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OW (warning: a bit gross)

As part of a project (Ghostbusters uniform that has been 'in progress' for the past...10 years...I either have money or time but never both at once), I was dyeing a Nomex flightsuit. I couldn't use a washing machine since they belong to the building and I didn't want anyone's clothes to be dyed by accident. So for the actual dye bath I was using a large plastic tote (the heavy-duty ones with a lip on the edge), swishing it around every 45 minutes or so.

I finish the dye bath, and instead of doing things the smart way and either empty the tote with a small bucket to the point where I can safely carry it, or take out just the clothing and bring it over to the washing machine, I elect to carry the entire thing closer to the machines. This is probably a 40-gallon capacity tote, filled about a third of the way with hot water, dye and wet fabric.

Yeah. It is probably half my weight.

While I'm wrestling it over to the utility tub and machines, the tote slips a bit and I feel a pinch. It is ignored since I assume the lip of the tote caught on my jeans button.

Fast forward to last night, I go into the bathroom and

I have a birthmark/raised mole at my waist, and it had been torn partially away Judging by the blood on my waistband, it had been bleeding for about three hours before I actually noticed....not too surprising really as I once shut my fingers in a car door and didn't notice until someone pointed it out (amazingly, there was no real damage).

I've done stuff like this (carrying heavy/awkward crap the same way I was wrestling with this thing) probably hundreds of times and nothing weird happened.

How can someone possibly be injured by a plastic tote? Now you know

Had a bandaid and antibiotic cream on it since I noticed it, and it's no longer really bleeding (it probably won't completely heal for awhile given the location; might have to get the thing removed).

Although the suit turned out great; may be slightly darker than intended and the velcro soaked up a lot of the dye and is now almost black, but reattaching it was going to be more of a hassle than I was interested in. So the injury was probably worth it.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

uhhh lol. ew.

just keep on eye on it.

Comment

So far it looks normal except for scabbing around part of the edge (and the typical vague deep itch when something starts to heal), I'm definitely watching it. Having it removed might be considered elective surgery and thus not covered by my insurance (the thing's as old as I am and has never developed any of the warning signs for a mole). If it starts to really hurt or look weird I'm definitely getting it looked at.

My prop forum has a thread for build injuries; I posted this and get a reply: "If this happened when dyeing the suit, it should get really interesting when you start building the actual pack." I may be the only member there who has hurt themselves with a plastic tote (at least I'm assuming that was how it happened)

Comment

surgery?? is this large? it seems like something a derm could snip, like a mole.

maybe im not too up and up on the removal of skin tags/ripped birth marks

albeit i'm sure its expensive without coverage

Comment

It's not large at all; my insurance co favors the term "surgery" for everything that involves removing something. IF it comes to that.

Comment

Working...
          X