This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed: New home and pets!

So, a few months back I told y'all that my boyfriend was getting a house. Well, we got a house. a nice 2-story house. only I have a small problem now. We have 2 cats that we'll be moving in this weekend. I know how to gradually introduce the cats to a new area, but that's not the only part of the problem.

Other then moving, we also have a roomate moving in with us who has a cat. And we'll be having two dogs coming as well. So, in addition to the stress of moving, they're all gonna have the stress of strange animals in the house.

Now like I said, the house is two stories. My boyfriend and I are taking the second story (master bedroom, 1/2 bath, and a 10x10 bedroom that will be our office) to ourselves. So naturally, my cats will be locked up there via a baby gate in the hallway. (They're both old and too lazy to jump over it) At least until they get comfy there.

My roomate's room is on the main floor, so of course the cat will be there. And the dogs will be on the main floor as well.

I've already decided on getting that feliway stuff for cats. And both dogs that are coming have lived with cats and love them, so no problem there. And I'll be purchasing more cat furniture so they can get up out of the reach of dogs.

The dogs will be kept in the kitchen when we're not home.

My question is, other then the things I've listed above, does anyone know anything else I can do to make this transition period any less stressful for the poor kitties?
    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Make sure that all the animals get LOTS of love and attention from their people when they're home. Other than that... well, the dogs and cats will pretty much need to work it out between themselves. And they will, though things may get a bit tense at times.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Be sure that the other animals are healthy - you don't want anything running though the house that could sicken them or give them permanant injuries.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I have the next week and a half off of work. My life is gonna be revolving around unpacking and animals until I go back to work And yes, all animals are up to date on shots, and none are sick except my old guy Spaldo, who has a healing abcess. He won't be introduced to anyone until that's completely gone.
        Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Working...
        X