Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, my new bedroom set is NOT from the 50's...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, my new bedroom set is NOT from the 50's...

Evidently, it's from the 30's.

I mentioned in Blas's cleaning vintage furniture thread I'd inherited what I thought was a 1950's era bedroom set. I just found a date from 1929 on it.

I'ts cleaning up pretty nice. I'll never get the smell of dust and Murphy's Oil Soap out of my nose.

I gotta find some awesome vintage linens now. Any suggestions? Originally, we were gonna go with a crazy "Hawaiian-World War II South Pacific" theme. Probably still will, but I'm open to suggestions.

Currently, I'm trolling for old maps of the South Pacific, hula girls, nose art, and whatnot.

OK I'm totally jealous. I love vintage stuff.... wanna share? And I'll see what I can find as far as your theme... I'm good at finding nifty stuff

Comment

Does it have that beautiful Art Deco veneer? Gorgeous stuff.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

What size bed . . .. King, Queen, Twin etc. (I missed that one)

Make sure you check E-bay - I have found some cool sheets there

I have seen some fabric that would go along with a Hawaiian Twist at Joann's lately.

Can't wait to see photos

Comment

It's a double size bed. Which is fine, I would rather have the floor space than the bed space. And all my sheets, duvets, and my down comforter are all double bed size, so I won't have to replace all that stuff.

No, the veneer is sort of a honey color, with plain top-to-bottom striations. It almost looks like modern bamboo flooring. At the time it was made, I imagine it was considered very modern. Very boxy and sleek, with enormous rounded-corner, frameless mirrors and big, showy hardware (which I may have to replace if I can't restore it satisfactorily). I'll get some pics of it up when I get the room tidied, there's drawers and boxes and tools and cleaning supplies all over the place.

It's got some finish damage here and there, so I'll have to get some scratch repair stuff and then hit it with a new coat of wax. (and I damaged the damn vanity putting the mirror back on...scratched the top. But it wasn't like it wasn't already scratched a bit. I'll just have to fill it in. )

I love the tall mirrors, they really light up the room.

Thanks for the tips!

EDIT: This is not it, but it is very similar in veneer and style to this pic I found. I dont' have a fluffy little blue chair, either, I have a backless bench seat that will have to be re-upholstered (which I can do myself, thank goodness. I picked it up and what was left of the rotted stuffing fell all over the floor. Yuck. ). Also, the hardware is either badly tarnished brass, or worn-off metalic finish over pig metal. Either way, I need to see to it.
          Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 04-10-2009, 04:29 AM. Reason: Went looking around on the net for a pic

Comment

Okay, I have to show you guys this. I mentioned the hardware was in poor shape? I was gonna paint it, but decided to clean one of them up to see what was underneath.

Solid, mirror finish brass.

Got some pics. I'm putting them in my album if youi want to see the rest of them. Check out the before and after on the hardware. There is polished hardware on the left side of the vanity in the shot. Don't have it all finished, but I work on it a little most nights. I'll get it all eventually. I took one of the polished nightstand (the one with the lamp) and the uunpolished one (the one with the plants).

It's not decorated the way I want yet, I'm still working on restoring it. It takes me forever to do anything like this.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nose art? filler
              What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

WWII pinups from the nose cones of fighter planes. The cheesecake girls you see on old airplanes.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  WWII pinups from the nose cones of fighter planes
                  AND bombers.

"We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Memphis Belle! What a great shot! (heck, I'd love to hang that shot on the wall!)

Comment

Working...
                    X