This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Impaired religious services

Something Mom just told me... pretty cool - and not controversial (or it'd be at Fratching)

At the church my family goes to, the head pastor retired after decades of work.

The new priest is a little unusual, but not in a bad way. Apparently he's somewhat fluent in Sign Language and specifically designates one of the services for the hearing impaired. He has a nun who assists in signing, but takes over himself for the sections where the priest specifically says the words himself.

Mom loves it. She's not hearing impaired and I don't think she knows sign language. She just likes the fact that ... apparently the hearing-impaired parishioners from the priest's old church have followed him to the new one, so the church is fuller.

It's a really pretty place, but... I always felt it was a bit sad looking because it was getting a little on the empty side. So if he draws in more people, hey I think that's kinda cool.

I told her to wait a month though, just to be sure it's really more people going and not the Easter crowd.

(and i'll delete the post if necessary, it just struck me as kinda cool)

That is kinda neat. Now...can he do it in Latin? That would just rock.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

i think it'd be the same still
      but most priests know a little latin anyway ... at least enough to recite "sanctus" and "agnus dei"

Comment

That's really nifty. The church I belong to has a hearing-impaired congregation nearby too. I've visited a couple times. They're always really cool about helping you understand what's going on, which is good, since I know very little ASL.
        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
        -----
        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          (and i'll delete the post if necessary, it just struck me as kinda cool)
          No need - this is pretty nifty.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
          X