This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Boozymobile!

...or, How I Made the Economic Downturn Work For Me.

I just bought a brand new 2009 Hyundai Accent! It's going to be the first new (not used) car I've ever owned. I'm very excited. I don't get it for another 6 weeks (it's being shipped)....I can't wait.

I was actually looking at used vehicles when someone told me that Hyundai had started aggressively pricing their new vehicles, due to a major slump in sales. I was able to get a new Accent for the same price as the 3 year old Civics I was looking at. I could have gotten more options on a used car for that price, but there's the trade-off in higher mileage. Plus my new car has a 5 year warranty thrown in that would have cost me a mint for a used vehicle. I can't tell you how relieved I am at not having to worry about major repair costs for the next 5 years. I've had a very bad run of luck with cars of late.

Does anyone here drive an Accent, or know someone who does? I don't know of any major problems they've had, but I'd like to know if there's something to look out for. I haven't signed the final paperwork yet...

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

The ex had an '00 Accent that was her mom's and then passed to her. It was a pretty good car until the total lack of maintenance and cleaning put in in the wreckers with pretty much the entire motor cradle rusted out.

If it's kept up and kept clean (like all cars), it's a pretty nice ride.

Congrats!

B
    (just got a new (to me) car too - my dad's '95 Toyota with only 130k km on it)
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Ooooh I would so want one of those but I'm so upside down right now on my loan it's never going to happen.

Comment

I have an Elantra, and my parents have a Sonata. I had a friend who had an Accent; I've ridden in it but never drove one. It's a little smaller than I'm used to (before my current car I had a Prizm, and before that a Cavalier; they're all about the same size). As far as Hyundais in general go, though, I've never had a major problem (I've had my Elantra for going on 7 years). My parents have had the Sonata for about 2 or 3 years; the biggest problem they had was the airbag sensor in the passenger seat kept turning the airbag off even when someone was sitting in the seat. They finally had to replace the whole seat but that was covered under the warranty. I figure I'll be looking for a new car in the next year or two; I would definitely consider another Elantra.

Good luck!
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have an accent, '01 I think, treat it right, service it regularly (not like mine which is 8500km overdue for a service) and they run like a dream, I also get around 15-16 km a litre out of it.

And even being so far overdue for a service it only started acting up two nights ago.
          If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Mine's a 95, runs like new. Maintain it and you're golden.
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

My brother is on his second Hyundai - he had a Santa Fe for a couple of years, but about a year ago, after filling it up for $70 for the second time in a week, he traded it in on an Accent. He loves it.
              "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

This is all great feedback, guys. Thanks.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

My mistake. It was a Camry, not an Accent.

Luckily, if you ever need parts, the Camry is the same car. Just different name.
                  Last edited by Evil Queen; 04-15-2009, 05:15 PM. Reason: Wrong Car; edited Post
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I love getting a new car. Done it four times now. Every time I've loved it. Of course, not one of my new cars has ever been NEW new, just new to me. One advantage of getting a used car: you don't freak out about someone dinging it, as it already has its little dings, dints, and scrapes. New Car Paranoia doesn't affect you when you buy your new car used!

With that in mind, I am off to the grocery store in my latest new used car, my Blazer that I picked up over three years ago that I still love immensely. Cathy rocks!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      I love getting a new car. Done it four times now. Every time I've loved it. Of course, not one of my new cars has ever been NEW new, just new to me. One advantage of getting a used car: you don't freak out about someone dinging it, as it already has its little dings, dints, and scrapes. New Car Paranoia doesn't affect you when you buy your new car used!
                      This is why I like dark colors. My car is dark gray (kinda sparkles purple in the sun ). The prizm was dark green that looked black in low light (my parents bought it at a year old and I bought it from them a year or two after that). Next time I want blue.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                      X