This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Do About My Roommie and His Girlfriend

Ok, it's the end of the school year. In two weeks, I'll never see the guy again. But I have a moral issue that I still have trouble with: how he treats his girlfriend/fiance/whatever they currently are.

He basically just verbally abuses her all the time. Every time he is talking to her on the phone, he's calls her stupid, tells her to "Shut the fuck up", dumbass, etc. etc. Apparently, he told her to call him around a certain time today, and she called mad late, because she was at work or something. So he berated her on the phone, calling her stupid, lazy. Told her he's no longer going to visit her tonight. And this is typical of what always happens. He just yells and yells at her. Loudly. My neighbor, a RA on my dorm's floor, can hear it, but she never says anything. One of the last times his girlfriend was actually over, I was out. I later found out he got so loud while yelling at her that multiple people called Public Safety (campus police) and my RA told him to shut up and wrote him up (a.k.a. slap on the wrist that is laughable).

So yea, I feel bad for her for putting up with it. It sounds like they've been together for a few years, and she likes him enough to get engaged to him, but still, I don't think anyone should put up with that kind of abuse. What should I do?
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

If she's dumb enough to stay with an ass like that, she probably deserves him.

Yes, I know, that was mean to say but by now HER friends have probably tried their damnest to make her see the light. How long have they been dating? Or do you know?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      How long have they been dating? Or do you know?
      Years is all I know.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Greenday. I believe she may be a hopeless cause.

God, I can't believe I said that.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Unfortunately there's probably not a lot you can do. You can tell him what you think of the way he treats her, and you can tell her she deserves better, but in the end it's their lives. For whatever reasons, they've learned that this is acceptable behavior, and that's a hard thing to change.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It's very hard to get involved in something like that. Really you'd be doing her a favour if you got her to see the light and leave, but she won't see it that way. It's just interfering. EQ is probably right that HER friends have already tried to make her see. She won't want to hear from her boyfriend's roomie.

If you're never seeing these people again in two weeks time, I guess just don't worry about it. Maybe, at most, if guilt drives you to say anything, mention to her quietly if you ever get a moment alone with her that you'd never treat a partner the way he does, or stay with someone treating you the way he treats her. Not as "advice", just as "conversation". At least then your conscience knows you did *something*. Said *something*. If he beats her to death in two years time, you know you didn't just walk away and leave it.

Comment

I wasn't thinking of saying anything to her. I was thinking more of saying something to him.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                I wasn't thinking of saying anything to her. I was thinking more of saying something to him.
                Go for it if you want. I wouldn't have too much hope of it making any difference, but most people probably just look the other way. He deserves to hear what an asshole he is.

There's also the whole disturbing the rest of the hall aspect...

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  There's also the whole disturbing the rest of the hall aspect...
                  Eh, it's not like a 24-hour quite dorm...wait a second, it is!?

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                    Eh, it's not like a 24-hour quite dorm...wait a second, it is!?
                    Even if it's not, there's a little something called common courtesy. The dorms at my college had quiet hours from 11pm (midnight on Friday and Saturday) until 8am, and starting at midnight on the Friday before finals week it was 24-hour quiet hours until finals were over. Even so, we mostly tried not to be unreasonably loud the rest of the time (well, most of us ).

Comment

Well, I picked this dorm because it is a 24-hour quiet dorm. I enjoy the piece and quiet. All the other dorms, have quiet hours from 10pm-10am Sunday through Thursday and 12am-10am Friday and Saturday. But when it's not quiet hours, we have something called courtesy hours, which is all the time. Courtesy hours basically means if you can ever be heard two doors down, you are too loud.

Comment

Honestly, from living with several roommates that I didn't really like, all you can do is wait it out.

IF you want to say something, maybe try striking up a conversation about it after he calls her one time. Maybe asking about how he talks to her.

Warning, it may make the rest of your living together a real hell, and it's awkward when the person you're sharing a tiny bedroom with 24/7 and you don't get along. Trust me, I know.

It might be easier for you to not say anything, but if you feel the need, approach with caution.

Comment

I'd say nothing. I don't think anything good could come from saying anything.

Chances might be good you'll end up coming to blows, and your roomie's attitude toward his girlfriend wouldn't change.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There's not much that can be done for her unfortunately, because you can't help those who can't help themselves.
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

There are ads here on TV about domestic violence and getting over and getting help. The guy on a particular one says he abused his wife until his mates had the balls one day to say "Hey, bro, that's not okay". They talked about what he did, and he came to realise what he was doing and why it was so wrong. He's very proud that his mates actually stood up and said something to him rather than letting it go.

Now, that said, he's probably a minority. In 99.9% of cases, telling the abuser how you see their actions will only lead to an extreme defensive mode - and what's the best defence? You know it.

So what to do? Say something? Not? I agree that if you have to share a very small college bedroom with this guy, not pissing him off is a strategic game plan. Maybe hold it in for the last day. While you're packing up to leave, mention to him what you think of how he treats his girl, and wish him the courage to be a real man, even if it means getting help. If he reacts badly, you've got about 3 minutes left with him anyway. Just leave.

Comment

Working...
                              X