This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I've been doing Yoga lately...

...and Pilates as well. I have been thoroughly enjoying these workouts.

Today, I find myself EXTREMELY busy at work (but still have time to check in here occasionally )

So, among the craziness at work...I can hear in my head the calm, soothing music that is played during Yoga and I envision myself in the final relaxation poses. It's very nice, let me tell you. So, I guess in addition to getting fit, I have an added bonus of recalling the relaxing sounds and movements!

Anyone else do Yoga?
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

I just started a yoga/pilates DVD that has exercise bands too.

I've noticed how much better I feel already, physically at least.

I haven't reached the point where I'm mentally calm and balanced here at work.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I have, for some time now, been meaning to get into yoga, going so far as to buy a book on a recent vacation and even talking to a girl I know about classes she takes.....but that is as far as it's gotten. Which is rather embarrassing, actually.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I have a yoga "game" for DS and we have the Wii Fit. I don't do it regularly but I do feel more relaxed after.
        "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
          I have a yoga "game" for DS and we have the Wii Fit. I don't do it regularly but I do feel more relaxed after.
          Let's Yoga~ ( Kind of a neat game, actually )

Yeah, I meant to get into it myself but the inclination came whilst I was grovelling from having torn a ligament in my back. So while the will was there, the ability as not. -.-

Comment

I've been doing pilates myself. I like them. Effective workout, but extremely low impact.

I want to get into Yoga, but I haven't found a class that works for me. I'm a little iffy on getting a DVD, just because I'm concerned I might do a move wrong without someone there to correct me, and may end up hurting myself.

I do enjoy pilates, though. I feel more energized afterwards.

Comment

Lupo, you should definitely go to a class first. The instructor(s) can make sure you do all your movements safely, don't push yourself too hard, etc. You go to college, right? Sometimes the rec centers/gyms have classes. (Oh, wait...did you graduate? You graduated, hm.) The other useful thing is that the instructor will talk you through the meditation portions and can teach you lots of helpful techniques. I find that if I don't give myself some mental exercise, I'll just start making a grocery list instead of relaxing. (Something simple, like, imagining colorful rain or picturing yourself in a hot air balloon).

I have two DVD's I really like - Yoga for Beginners and AM/PM Yoga for Beginners. Both are put out by element and feature Elena Brower - she's really great.
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

AdminAssistant: Yes, I graduated, but I'm working on a 2nd degree.

I already meditate (or technically, I know how to meditate, it's just a matter of actually taking the time to do it.)

But yes, definitely want to take a class, but there's also the whole self-conscious bits. I'm a big girl, and not very flexible. Contorting myself in public doesn't seem all that appealing. And then there's trying to fit the classes into my schedule...

Comment

Try a yoga studio instead of a gym. A little pricier, but the atmosphere is completely different. The relaxation part pretty much starts at the door, classes are small, the studios are usually smallish and have low light levels (or natural light) instead of the glare-y gym lights, and there aren't as many mirrors. Nobody cares if you aren't doing the pose perfectly - you cannot "win" yoga, after all! - and the teachers are usually excellent at suggesting modified poses for those with injuries or who are starting with a low flexibility level.

I'm the poster child for self-conscious, klutzy, non-flexible, turning the wrong way and otherwise messing up... and I love the studio classes because they're just zen about the whole thing.That lets me laugh at myself a little and keep going, instead of getting more flustered and klutzy and awkward.

Comment

Absolutely, BugLady.

And if you do sign up, Lupo, you can ask to speak to an instructor ahead of time about all of your concerns. I don't have problems doing yoga in public (although I do have major issues with other kinds of exercise in public). It's all about you and relaxation and your chakras.

Namaste!
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I do a cross between yoga and pilates. A lot of the exercises can be either.
                      I've even fallen asleep in child's pose.
                      I took yoga in college for one of my electives. The teacher didn't believe I was a complete clutz till we did Tree pose and I caused a 5 person domino effect. After that our matts got staggered.

Comment

Tree dominos! Ahaha! I can totally see doing that

I love child's pose - I've always found it incredibly relaxing to be curled up small. No idea why. I think the Warrior poses are my real favourites though. I love that feeling of being so strong through my legs and feet, grounded into the world's heart and standing tall

Also, HOT YOGA is fabulous. I just tried that a couple of weeks ago. I get so cold and so tense during winter that I think the hot yoga class was the first time some of my muscles had unknotted since the first snowfall... in September. (I'm also the onew who booked a trip to Atlanta, in July, and just kind of basked for a week. I may not be a very good Canadian).

Comment

I do my Yoga at the local 24 Hour Fitness. I'm sure its not the best Yoga class I could be taking...because the instructor does not walk around and make sure you are doing poses correctly. I have thought about going elsewhere...but I get a discounted membership at 24 Hours and have been going there for over 3 years. However, this fall I start working on my bachelor's at the local university and I've heard they have a GREAT gym that, as a student, I'll be able to use. I may drop my membership to 24 and then that will free up money to find other Yoga.

My favorite poses are the Warriors as well. I'm not too big on the chair pose because for some reason, I'm probably doing it wrong, my ankles start to hurt rather quickly. I also like the pigeon pose. Tree pose is neat...I like the balancing challenge. The thought of tree dominoes is hilarious!

Pilates is great and low impact. Except the class I take is also at 24 and it's called "Pilates Fusion". Whatever that means. They have regular Pilates, I just haven't made it to one yet. The first time I did Pilates, I stood back up from doing some leg work and my legs buckled. My hamstrings hurt really bad. But, that didn't stop me from trying it again!
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I admit, I do LOVE doing pilates. Mostly because, as FOJK said, it's so low impact. You don't really feel it while you're doing it. I can go for over 30 minutes without realizing I'm doing cardio, it's great!

I think I want to find out if a tai chi class is offered an in my scheduled time, as well as yoga. I've heard good things about tai chi, and I know yoga is good. But again, it's finding a class. And the right type. I ran a random google search on yoga last night and discovered there are various types! ditto with tai chi.

I feel so dumb for not knowing or realizing that. Go me!

Comment

Pilates is (are? I'm confuzzled) too hard for me - I feel I'm more likely to hurt myself trying to do the repetitive moves than I am holding a Yoga pose. But that may have a lot to do with the instructors I have had. Both kinds of exercise are fantastic for runners and cyclists, because they stretch and strengthen the muscles that we keep abusing

The reason I liked the Hot Yoga best is that it let me stretch so much better than I usually am capable of. Deep stretching is incredibly important, because cyclists and runners often end up with badly shortened and even scarred tendons through the hip and hamstring. That can tilt or twist the pelvis and you can get back problems and even headaches.

I'm *amazed* at the difference yoga has made for my posture, my arms, and my core strength. I can hold Plank position for two full minutes! (I fall on my face if I try to do push-ups though. That's next...)

Since the bulk of my exercise comes from casual biking rather than a formal training program, it's easy to get disproportionately strong in the legs and then have a wimpy upper body. The trouble is that a LOT of the sustained power one needs on the bike comes from the core, and one also needs strength through the back and arms to keep a good posture on the bike and avoid repetitive stress injuries, neck cricks, wrist problems, etc. (Also, nobody wants to end up looking like a chicken with gigantic drumsticks and teeny little wimpy wings )

Comment

Working...
                              X