X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it so cold in here?!

Oh, that's why...

I opened one of the windows in my bedroom the other night when it was rather warmish. Today was cold and rainy, but I didn't think about the window. When I got home tonight my roommate mentioned that her window was open (her bed is right under the window), and I said, yeah, mine's open a little bit, too. She said she didn't even think to check mine, to which I said, "No big deal, it's not like my bed's under the window." So I've been home about an hour and a half and I noticed it's rather cold in here, but I haven't left the living room. I just went into my room and discovered that the top of the window had fallen out of the frame, knocking over a lamp and some little tins of random stuff (watch, lighter, shoelace...). The windows are double-hung windows that flip in for easy cleaning. I must have loosened it at the top when I opened it and the wind must have done the rest. Doesn't look like anything broke, but damn my room is freezing!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Been there, done that.

One weekend, I couldn't help but feel cold in the house. Couldn't figure out why...until I went in the garage. Seems I'd fired up the car, and left the garage door up to vent the fumes. Somehow, I forgot about it. Said garage door was up all night! It was in the 30s (f) all night. No wonder it was cold in my bedroom and home office!
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I got a real hard dose of reality the other night.

Got a little too excited about the lower 70s we had on Friday. Gawsh it was beautiful. Anyway, I opened my windows as soon as I got home Friday midmorning and left them open all day.

I went out with my boyfriend Friday evening and had them still open. We came back from a long walk and got ready to watch movies at about 11 pm and it was probably down to the low to mid 30s. Gaaah......and my apartment was absolutely freezing.

So when we hit the upper 60s Thursday and the 70s again on Friday, I will remember to shut the windows before it gets dark out, because it's not going to go any higher than upper 30s at night for quite some time yet.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I made that mistake, too, Blas. Left the windows up when it got down to 40 one night. Woke up shivering under my covers (which is actually a big improvement, I get really hot tonight and usually wake up in a sweat).
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
        X