Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I stand in a world of bubblegum and Engrish...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I stand in a world of bubblegum and Engrish...

...for I have started listening to J-Pop.

The two anime/manga magazines I read on a regular basis (Anime Insider and Neo) have articles about J-Pop and J-Rock artists with ones to check out. So out of curiosity, I had a look and was amazed by what I could find.

Bands I'm checking out at the moment are:

Oreskaband (all-girls rock band that includes sax, trumpet and trombone, very up-beat ska rock)

Morning Musume (all-girls Idol group...very upbeat pop)

AKB48 (ditto...but they literally have 48 members in the group and are split into 3 teams.)

Utada Hikaru (If anyone here's played Kingdom Hearts, they've heard her. She sings Simple and Clean (KH1) and Passion/Sanctuary (KH2)

SMAP (all-male group)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Another group you could check out, if you're into the Japanese pop/rock thing, is Shonen Knife, but they're older.
    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 04-23-2009, 02:23 AM.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Luna Sea, also an older band. I also rather like Tetsuya Komuro.
      "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
      - H. Beam Piper

Comment

If you don't mind streaming, there's http://www.japanaradio.com/

Comment

Oh, Japanese music...how I love thee...

MY partiicular favorite singers/bands are UVERworld, Koda Kumi, BoA, Abingdon Boys School, Do As Infinity (All time favorite!! But they disbanded!! ) And I've recently discovered Maximum the Hormone. Very nice indeed.

I have to check out some of these suggestions!!

Fireheart, I lurves Utada Hikaru.

Comment

I don't listen to a ton of J-pop, but I like L'arc en Ciel, a young lady named Ai Maeda and (my guilty pleasure!) Gackt.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I have a friend who's pretty heavily into Japanese Studies - I can ask her for her favorite bands - although I know she's not a giant fan of J-pop. When we went to the JapanFest in the fall, she kept muttering something about "grumblegrumbleotakusgrumblegrumblethesedarnki ds"
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                Oh, Japanese music...how I love thee...
                <snip>
                Do As Infinity (All time favorite!! But they disbanded!! )
                <snip>
                Actually, I heard that they're together again. It made me inside.

I like Ayumi Hamasaki, Ayaka, and Utada Hikaru (some stuff).

If only I had more money, I'd be into more.
                Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 04-24-2009, 01:24 AM. Reason: un-screwed up the quote.
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                  Actually, I heard that they're together again. It made me inside.
                  Gasp!! Really?!?! TRULY!?!?! <Dies of happiness!!>

Must. Find. Info. Must find new albums!! Must must must!!!!!!!

Oh, I like Hamasaki Ayumi, too!! Squee!!

Comment

Per my g/f, Morning Musume is bad. Very, very, very bad. Just FYI.

Personally, I don't much care.

More from the g/f: (She needs to get out more!)

Oh, and Kanjani 8 is really, really, really bad and at least you're not listening to that.

Also, you should listen to some Gackt and Hyde (did the good theme song to Full Metal Alchemist)

Comment

Here's a link to the full version of the ending credits song for the show K-on! I'm looking for a copy to buy so I can add it to the music rotation I listen to at work. The show's fun too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXE9VO8CG5I
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Oh, I could go on and on about how great I think Morning Musume, and the rest of Hello! Project is, but I'd probably bore all of you. My reccomendations, outside of that group are:

Anna Tsuchiaya: Female Rock/Pop singer, she did the opening theme for the Nana anime (rose), very good voice

Tomoko Kawase (TommyFebruary6, the brilliant green) Tommy February 6 is pretty much pure electronic pop, and is a joy to listen to. The theme from Paradise Kiss, Lonely in Gorgeous was performed by her. Her band, the brilliant green, is more light to moderate rock, with her singing lead vocals. The song that everyone seems to know, Ash Like Snow, is a poor representation of their body of work. Look up Rainy Days Never Stays for a better idea of what most of their stuff sounds like.

Mika Nakashima: I'm just starting to get into her. Her music is less pop, and more jazz/adult contemporary. She played Nana O. in the live-action Nana film, and released an album as Nana O. which was also good.
                        All Hail Blortash, King of the Time Traveling Space Bears, who comes to us from Future Year 3032, known to us Earth Mortals as Regular 3032.

Comment

Cheers guys
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                          X