This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I ruin a blessed thing?

I thought I have brought a beef roast, I brought a Boston butt.

Its boneless, right on 2kgs and I don't have a bbq, a dutch oven and our slow cooker is broken.

I have no option but to cook it in the oven... am I going to ruin it?

I've tried my best to save it, Im going to shoot myself if I has as that was our main source of meat for this week (okay actually K will kill me...)

I seared it in a pan with some peanut oil to get some nice colour on the outside, then stuffed it with garlic (thats what I do to my lamb roasts).
    Rubbed on a spice rub (lemon zest, garlic powder, paprika, s&p and thyme).

I put it on a bed of onions sliced into thick rings in a roasting pan then tried to create a "tent" out of tinfoil. I dropped 2 cups of my own home made chicken stock into the bottom of the pan to make it more moist. I have it on real low 110 Celsius (230 F).

Has anyone cooked these before? Every single recipe I can find recommends a Dutch oven or crock pot for inside and a bbq for outside.....

I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

It CAN be cooked in the oven, and you're on the right track. Just cook it slow, on low heat. The internal temp should be around 170 (I think). The reason that dutch ovens, bbqs and slow cookers are recommended for that cut of meat is because it can get tough if it isn't cooked at a slow, steady temp with plenty of moisture. I think you'll be fine. I have a link somewhere that my mom sent me once, lemme see if I can find it in an old email. It was a recipe for a smoked boston butt, but had info on the meat itself. My biggest concern is timing. Mama had hers cooking overnight, because it's such a fatty piece of meat it needs a looooooooong cook time

Comment

the boston butt is generally a cut of meat used for smoking and barbeque. the method that you used should do fine with it.
      They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

It took over 5 hours to cook!!!!

It tasted very very very good. We will be doing one of those again and we got 9 meals worth of meat out of it. YAY thanks for the assurance guys and gals.
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Working...
        X