X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store Of Fear

A story of woe...

There's a 7/11 a few blocks up from my place, which is great for me because generally speaking even on my days off I don't become overly active till after nightfall. So this 7/11 serves me well for late night snack runs. However, I noticed a few weeks ago that there was a little grocery store across the street from 7/11.

Now I figured hey, if it can stay in business near a 7/11 it must have something decent, right? 7/11's great if I need milk or lucious strawberry sherbert at 2am, but purchasing anything similar to groceries there is out of the question. So I figured I'd pop into this little grocery store and see if it was worth shopping at...

This proved to be a grevious error.

I knew I was in trouble the second I walked in and was hit with a wall of....aroma. A sort of musky, herbal smell like your grandmother's bathroom. A tiny, leathery crocodile woman said hi to me from behind the counter. I said hi back and went to see if I could salvage something from this venture...

Dimly lit store? Check. Uneven floor thats STICKY? Check. Tall, imposing aisles with no rhyme or reason? Check.

Still, I was trying to be optomistic. ( You'd think I'd have learned by now ).

So I wander the aisles...one is a WALL of canned goods that looked as if even the slightest touch would bring about my screaming death in a hail of pain and tin. Skip that one...next aisle was full of unidentified dried goods in plastic bags....not taking a risk there....

Ah ha! Cookie aisle! ....cookies which are already open? One lone remaining Oreo stared woefully back at me from the shelf. The only surviving casualty from his sweet, cream filled clan.

Rice Crispies! ...no, those are open too. Apparently someone has looted all the prizes inside. This was particularly disheartening as Harry Potter stickers would have been my salvation.

Yardsale? ....stationary....one pack of it. Also, 2 pots, 1 pair of scissors and 2 glue sticks. In a pile on an empty shelf.....many questions spring to mind, all of which I'm sure will end up with me being killed and throw off a pier in a sack.

Coke! Ah ha, I could grab a beverage. By this point I'm afraid of what will happen if I attempt to leave after canvasing the whole store. No telling what croco-dame would do to me. So I head to the cooler....s. The store has *5* coolers of various sizes, shapes and AGES.

I peer in one....it does indeed have liquids in it. What type of liquids I know not. Strangely shaped containers with unsettling terms like "Fermented Dairy Beverage" on them. I left that cooler alone for fear that touching it would be akin to touching the Ark of the Covenent.

Cooler #2....is half full of unmarked brown boxes of Lord knows what. Sitting on top of them is exactly one box of Eggo Waffles and a frozen Mac & Cheese entree.....

Cooler #3....more unmarked contraband and 2 jugs of milk. I'm tempted to check the expiration date, but I'm in full view of Croco-dame and she's closer to the door then I am. If she lunges I won't make it in time.

Cooler #4....frozen....things. They're green and in plastic bags. Perhaps the remains of the last person that checked the expiration dates on the milk.

Cooler #5 HUZZAH! Its full of unmarked no-name ice cream and popsicles clearly labelled "Not for individual sale." But sitting next to all of it is a lone can of Minute Maid orange juice concentrate. Something safe! Something sealed! Something that won't expire till 2014! I seize the prize and nervously bring it to the counter.

As I do, I notice the counter has a deli cooler attached. You know, that cooler thats glass on the customers side so you have to ask for what you want. Problem is its frosted over and the light is burnt out....so you can't see anything in it except for one spot near the end where I can see a stick of butter and some cream cheese...so to clarify, if you want butter you have to request it from the crocolisk.

I pay for my transaction and notice something move to my left. The entire time there's been a hunkered over little old man stuffed in the corner, unmoving, staring into a black & white TV with no sound. I take my juice and flee. I could almost hear the Twilight Zone theme. ><

Then I immediately crossed the street and went to 7/11. -.-

As for the orange juice? Its still in my freezer...I'm somewhat afraid to open it. I might release some sort of ancient evil thats rich in vitamin C but will eventually consume all of humanity.

Dude...have you ever read 'Grey Matter' by Steven King? For the love of god, don't open that can!!

God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

Even if it is evil, it's still rich in Vitamin C.
      Your soul will be exceptionally healthy when it's consumed by Cthulhu.
      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Sounds like some of the Asian markets here in town.

God as my witness, some of those places keep things, food items no less, in large plastic buckets with wooden boards over them, held down by cinder blocks. I kid you not.

I don't want to know. You don't either.

Comment

Sounds like a shop near where I used to go to college. All us students swore blind it was a front for a drug supplier, cuz all the food in there was rank. There were these 2 lemons which never got sold and were there in the window at least for the 2 years I was at the college, if not longer. I'm thinking that they're still there to this day. O_o
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Yup, sounds like a funky little Asian grocery that used to exist up near the end of the C line. I think I went in there once as anyone who knows me knows that I'm unable to resist such stores. One would have thought the newspaper covering the windows would have clued me in to something weird...

Tiny place with a mysterious odd smell that I could never identify. Dirty, peeling, cracked linoleum. Old fluorescent lights that buzzed and stuttered at the exact frequency that drives me absolutely insane. The produce looked like it had been there since the founding of the town (I didn't notice a deli counter, but didn't want to investigate too closely). Things in plastic bags that I could identify, but didn't want to risk. I managed to escape with one bag of muscat gummies that were probably the only "safe" thing in there.

It's defunct now and the bakery next door is expanding.
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-13-2006, 09:05 PM.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Reminds me of this produce place across the street from my old high school. It was this tiny hole in the wall place that was always swarming with flies. Yet students and gang bangers (same thing really) always hung out there. It was pretty obvious that the place was a front.
              "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Working...
              X