This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Express" lane

Now we all know about Express lanes right? 12 Items or less? Now how hard is it to count to 12...lets try it right now
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Easy huh?

So i stop into the local late night supermarket to grab a post band practice drink. Total purchase? Two items. Now 2 < 12 therefore i went to the express lane.

In front of me? A guy with two full baskets. The cashier look and sighs (obviously can't say anything). I stand there and am glaring daggers at this guy. So i watch as his items are scanned...1..2...3...(etc)..13..14...15...19...20. .21 (this doesn't include the three bags of bread or two bottles of milk, they only scan as 1 item). As he goes to pay i say (under my breath) "Glad you can f**king count". Guy starts to go off at how rude I am (cashier is giving me a grin at this point too) so I cut him off.

"You want rude? You see this sign - TWELVE items or less. You have TWENTY (points to screen). So you can go F**K YOURSELF". Guy quickly grabs his stuff and leaves. I put my stuff on the counter and turn to the cashier and in my normal voice ask how her night is.

It gets better. I see the jackoff loading his car up. So i walk out, flip him off, then walk to my car - and drive past him with Lamb of God on the stereo. I think i may have scared him a little.

Question tho: Am I an ass for doing this? Anyone else lost it at someone in this situation?
    How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

XD; I'd say you might have gone a bit overboard, but I smiled for the first time all night, so it couldn't have been THAT bad.

Comment

Haha yeah i though it might have been a little over the top - but after 10 hour shift at work + 4 hours of band practice you don't stand between me and my caffiene
      How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Wait what, no one mentioned caffeine obstacle! I've been known to lunge. Like a wildcat, but scarier.

...Rawr.

Comment

You did go over the top, but when facing a moron of epic proportions that's often the only thing that'll work.
          Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Quoth TimmyHate View Post
            <Mr. Snippy Was Here>

Question tho: Am I an ass for doing this? Anyone else lost it at someone in this situation?
            Back in my grocery store days, if we were slow, I would let people go through but if things were not, I'd tell them to go to another line if I caught them.
            Last edited by crazylegs; 05-15-2009, 08:11 PM. Reason: Trimmed Quote

Comment

For 20 items you went a tad overboard.

I was once in a Wal-Mart when the couple in front of me had a full freaking cart (mostly of little hand sanitizers).

So I said to my wife "Odd looking 20 items or less eh?"

Guy shoots me a look, then looks at the sign above his head, then back to the cashier "Is it really 20 items or less? I'm so sorry"

At least he apologized.

Comment

I posted in another thread about how I was -sent by an employee- to the Express Lane with a cart of 50+ items, and caught a lot of flack for it.

Just playing Devil's advocate, but the guy may have had an excuse.

If not, then I might have responded similarly to him.
                "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

I usually just make slightly loud-ish comments to Nekojin about idjits who can't be bothered to wait in the full service lanes like the rest of the world. I don't generally get profane immediately.

However, once the guy ahead of you started spouting off about how rude you were and failed to offer any sort of excuse, that kind of made him fair game for ridicule, although the OP was a bit much for such a minor infraction.

In mostly unrelated news, we used a self checkout for the very first time yesterday at Costco. I think I'm in love. Now I just need to remember to take the Costco reuseable bags out to the car for when we do impromptu shopping trips.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

In mostly unrelated news, we used a self checkout for the very first time yesterday at Costco. I think I'm in love. Now I just need to remember to take the Costco reuseable bags out to the car for when we do impromptu shopping trips.

^-.-^

I think I'm the only person on Earth who can't stand self checkout. D:

My husband INSISTS on using them, too. Drive me nuts, especially the Wal-Mart ones that make you put the item in a bag so it can be weighed, and often times it rejects the item, or the item doesn't fit...

...I will go on all day. LOL.
                    "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot
                      I think I'm the only person on Earth who can't stand self checkout. D:
                      I find them quite annoying too, but I'm getting used to them. It really sucks if you accidently scan something twice. Once I was paying and I laid my wallet on the belt while I fooled with the CC machine. The screen yelled "Unknown item on belt" and it took it a few minutes after I picked up my wallet before I continued.
                      Last edited by joe hx; 05-15-2009, 09:39 PM. Reason: typo
                      To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
                      my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

I will go through 12 items or less with 13/14 items, I admit it...

All of our local supermarkets have the express lanes as baskets only, you don't have enough room for a cart and lets face it, theres only so much you can fit in a basket.
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Well, the self-checkout was at Costco, and everything we had (except for 3 items) was oversized or heavy, so we used the handheld gun to scan it all.

Plus, they do the exit receipt scan and the self-check receipts are this blue color. They have to do the weight thing at places like Walmart because there is nobody at the door checking to make sure you haven't absconded with extra product.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth TimmyHate View Post

1. No. I'd probably make a similar comment under my breath too. Once he decided to yell he got what he gave.
                            2. Not yet.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot View Post
                              I think I'm the only person on Earth who can't stand self checkout. D: My husband INSISTS on using them, too. Drive me nuts, especially the Wal-Mart ones that make you put the item in a bag so it can be weighed, and often times it rejects the item, or the item doesn't fit... ...I will go on all day. LOL.
                              You're not the only one! They won't let you use reuseable bags. I will walk all the way to the other end to get a live cashier. I will wait in line behind 3 people before using an SCO.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X