This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery SCs

I love reading this site and am finally getting around to posting something.

I had an especially "interesting" night yesterday.

I work as a cashier and one of the things that puzzles me is the customers (not SCs exactly) who see that your light is off, that there is no one in your line, that the other lines have 3+ people in them and still ask if you are open. I always want to say something along the lines of, "Yes, you're right-I just turned my light off in hopes that no one would realize I was actually open. So far, it's been working, but you were just too clever to be fooled."

The reason why I am actually posting is because I had two obnoxious customers, along with the usual SC's, come through last night.

The first one came up as I was getting ready to go to break and asked if I could check him out. I explained that my line was closed, but, of course, this particular customer was not to be turned away because of that. He started asking if it was "against store policy" for someone to be checked out after a line was closed. I can only imagine that he was heading to some form of "it isn't against store policy so you should check me out", however, I sidestepped that by gesturing to the other express line that had 5 or so customers lined up and stating that it wouldn't be fair to them to check him out. I don't think he understood but he eventually grasped that I wasn't going to check him out and left.

The second one came up later with a cart of, I would estimate, 50 or so items (the limit for express is 20) asking if I would check him out since there was nobody lined up for express at the moment. I usually will check people out if there is no line and they have 5 or 10 extra items, but not 25+. Again I tried to explain that it wasn't fair to all the customers who actually follow the rules (although, of course, I didn't say that exactly), and, again, he did not understand that he was not "special" and exempt from following said rules.

I do get customers like this while working express but they usually sneak in and start putting their items on the conveyor without asking. I tell them to use another register next time but I doubt that any of them do. Just more evidence of people who are unable or unwilling to consider others.

At least you have lights at your registers! We don't - we just have a small sign that says "Next lane please" that we put on our belt. We're supposed to get lights soon though.

One asshole walked up to my lane, I told him "Sorry sir I'm closing after I'm done with this customer", he then picked up the sign, put it on the floor, and started unloading on the belt. He just laughed when I asked him what he thought he was doing, and of course people started jumping into my lane as soon as he did that. I got the sign back on the belt real quick, yet another lady ignored it and started unloading on the belt, and I told her I was closed - and she said "What, you're not going to serve me?". Bitch, just for that I'm going to go as slow as humanly possible with the first asshole. I think I hit 4 or 5 items per minute on both transactions.

Right now our credit card readers are prompting for a phone number, and they refuse to read a card until you enter a number or hit the cancel button (yes, it's retarded). In big, bold letters it says "Enter phone number. WARNING: DO NOT ENTER PIN!!" and even has a picture of a phone on the screen. I always tell people "Before you slide your card, you'll need to press cancel" - half of them ignore me and slide it anyway then look at me with a deer in the headlights look when it doesn't ask them what kind of card it is. One of them slid it after I told him that, smirked, and tried to argue with me saying it was asking for his PIN and told me I didn't know what I was talking about - I pointed directly at the text that said "WARNING: DO NOT ENTER PIN!!" and just stared at him like he was an idiot.

Comment

Quoth mpjpgpnp View Post
      He started asking if it was "against store policy" for someone to be checked out after a line was closed. I can only imagine that he was heading to some form of "it isn't against store policy so you should check me out",
      No sir, but I am not available and it IS against store policy to allow customers to check themselves out. I'm afraid you'll have to go to another line.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
      X