Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shore thing episode 1: free meal and a show (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore thing episode 1: free meal and a show (long)

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster. so I guess I should give some background on this little story.

I used to work at a restaurant on the Jersey shore during the summer for college. I was just a busser, but I got paid very well, got alot of hours, and because of my bum shoulder I could never be put as bar back ($300 on a slow night!.. damn shoulder). anyway, we get alot of tourist from New York (aka BENNY's) who feel they are king of the shore and deserve everything and don't care about the people who actually live here.

My particular restaurant was VERY popular because it was right on the beach and the main enterance was by the boardwalk. luckily my manager was the best manager ever. she was very stern, but VERY protective of everyone below her. All the servers and bar tenders had to keep a smile on their face in order to get a nice tip, but I had this magic little power... I get tips from the food being bought, meaning my tip did not depend on the tip left for the server. so if a server had a problem with someone, they would send me in to take care of business.

ok, so that's the background, on to the first story I love telling:

One night we were pretty busy, it was nearing closing time which is when our place turns into a night club. my first mission as a busser was to clear tables for more people to get seated, but since we were closing soon I could go at a slower pace. I notice this empty table with 3 full drinks on it. the ice was new, and since they were full that told me it was still occupied. it was odd that not one person was there, but I shrugged it off.

After about 15 minutes I glance over and all the ice was melted and leaking all over the table. I figured they left their drinks and just weren't coming back. so I clean up the table. about ten minutes later the server comes over to me.

FS= frantic server
    Me=... me
    SC- Angry asshole. mind you there were two, but one one talked.
    AM= awesome manager

FS: did you throw the drinks out at that table?
    Me: yea, they were all melted and leaking on the table... did they come back?
    FS: yea, but that's ok, I'll get them another.

time passes and I see a commotion with FS being yelled at by SC1.

FS: I'm sorry, but he didn't know you were still there, we can get you another drink with no charge though
    SC1: No! I want the drinks we ordered! (obviously already drunk... did he go off drinking somewhere else in the mean time?)
    FS: ... I can't they were all melted and...
    SC1: GET ME MY GOD DAMNED DRINKS!

so FS walks off shaking to get the manager, we don't take this kind of shit so she got the best person to handle it.

AM: Hey guys, I was told there was a problem.
    SC1: yea! our drinks aren't here and we want them back!
    AM: they were thrown out, but we can get you free replacements, just tell me what you ordered and I'll get them for you.

the SC then stands up and starts yelling at her, it was too loud for me to hear (club was getting started up) but we always have 2 cops near the front door, so they walk over and keep their distance to make sure everything is ok. after 30 seconds of yelling my manager has it.

AM: sir, I'm going to have to ask you all to leave, and please never come back.
    SC1: FUCK YOU! *he then proceeds to spit in her face.*

my manager pushes him away in disgust and the 2 cops grab him and drag him out. my manager quickly follows him to ask (not in a nice tone) if he wanted the food he ordered, since it was done. he said no, but before he could leave she told him he had to pay for it, since it was prepared. he paid, she asked if he wanted it again, he said no, and was dragged out.

you're probably wondering (if you noticed) why there were 3 drinks instead of 2. well I didn't mention that the guys 5 or 8 year old son was with him, at his side, the whole time. he wins father of the year! but there was a happy ending. the server got one of the guys meals for free and I got the huge chicken parm meal the other guy didn't take for free. an $18 meal for nothin'. I apologized to the server but she told me it wasn't my fault. I then apologized to the manager and she said I did what I was trained to do and not to worry.

I have more horror stories of the shore I'll share in the future... I hope this wasn't too long.

They had to be gone for a fair amount of time for all of the ice to melt... I wouldn't be surprised if they /had/ gone bar hopping and expected them to be there when they got back. Idiots.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Great story and well told.

Welcome to the group!
      Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

What a moron. If you were replacing the drink (not necessary in my book if it had been sitting there for 15 minutes), the issue was resolved. Why didn't the manager have him booked for assault and battery? (Spitting is nasty.)
        If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
        --Woodrow Willson

Comment

I think I'd prefer someone urinating on me than spitting; at least urine is sterile! Spit's just....Eeeeww.

It's good you gave the people a chance to come back, and I can completely see your logic; 15minutes is too long for them to be letting their drinks hog a table at a busy place

Love to hear more stories!

PS. Don't you love free food? I used to love when there were leftovers from the big weddings that got catered at my hotel. Once the wedding party must have seriously miscalculated their RSVPs and the kitchen ended-up with 30 leftover fillet minions, all cooked and paid for...Mmmmm. We ate well that night!
          Last edited by LillFilly; 05-28-2009, 07:36 PM.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Mmmm... Chicken parmesan... *drool*

Always love a happy ending that includes food.

to CS!

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Nice story and welcome Mottom24.

I'm gonna guess they were trying to "reserve" a table to come back to. But not wanting replacement drinks is stupid dumb even for SCs.

Comment

Welcome to the boards! I hope your manager pressed charges for the SC that spat in her face. Other than that, I love a happy ending.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

no charges were put on, she has had much worse. and she was a tough lady (she quit shortly after me to start her own business so she is doing well) she just rubbed it off. thanks for all the feedback!

Comment

Good story, and being a Jersey native I know EXACTLY what type of customers you had to deal with. Ugh...no way I could have done that for an entire summer!

Comment

Working...
                    X