This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Shows You Can't Believe Are Still Around

Here's a topic I once posted on another messageboard, and have decided to start it up over here.

Recently, while flipping through the channels, I started thinking about the longevity of different TV shows, how many seasons they're made before production of new episodes ends.

Some shows never even get out of the gates, being canceled before they even find an audience. Others find a small but loyal audience, but are still canceled after only a season or 2. Some shows get a good run, lasting a few seasons, but get canceled while they still have some good stories left to tell. A rare few get to have a full, healthy run, ending at just the right time, giving the audience a true sense of closure.

Then there are those few shows that are like the Energizer Bunny... They just keep going and going and going. A rare few deserve the longevity they've enjoyed, such as Doctor Who (with 26 seasons in its original run, and now heading into Season 5 of its revival, it's the longest-running science fiction program of all time!) and America's Most Wanted. But most of these shows that run and run and run, do so in a way that defies logic, because no sane, rational person can explain their popularity and longevity. One good example of such a show, now finally OFF the air (not counting reruns) is Friends. Did we REALLY need a DECADE of that show?!?

This thread is about "outing" these improbably long-lived shows that defy all logic, the shows that make you cringe because you just cannot understand why they've stayed on the air so long. Even the few that are actually GOOD TV have been on so long, that you've grown tired of them. Here's my list:
    • The Jerry Springer Show... When will this show, a blight on moral values and good taste, ever end?!?
    • Power Rangers... As far as I know, new episodes STILL keep running, both in Japan and here in the States. What I can't figure out is WHY?!?
      I've heard a rumor that it was ending after this season, but it's still in the TV guide every time I look at it, soo...
    • Survivor... Granted, when it first came on, it was unique and different, but isn't anyone getting TIRED of it yet?!?
    • Cops... Again, isn't anyone getting tired of watching this? How many times can people watch the police busting stupid criminals before it gets old?!? At least America's Most Wanted does a public service. Cops (and the knock-offs that are just like it) is just voyeurism at its worst.
    • America's Funniest Home Videos... This show long ago stopped being about real events spontaneously or accidentally caught on tape. It's obvious most of the videos are "staged" for the show, and it's been that way for years. Even worse, it panders to the lowest common denominator: Rednecks that actually think the "Stupid Human Tricks" people stage for the show are funny. I lost interest ages ago, why doesn't anyone else?
    • The Simpsons (*ducks all the thrown rocks, tomatoes, etc.*)... Is this the greatest animated series ever? That's debatable. Is it the most successful? Very probably. Still doesn't explain why Fox and Matt Groening are still producing new episodes. In the very near future, it'll reach its 20th anniversary on the air, if it hasn't already. I'm surprised Fox and/or Matt Groening hasn't called it quits yet. I would've thought they would've run out of ideas long ago... But I would've thought wrong, I guess.
    I'll post more shows as I think of them.

And for the record, I DO enjoy watching The Simpsons. It doesn't change the fact that I can't understand its incredible longevity.

And let me clarify now to avoid confusion later; this topic is meant to be about shows that are STILL IN PRODUCTION. Shows that are still being made. Some people on the other forum brought up shows that have been in reruns forever, but new episodes haven't been made in many years. It is not my intent for this topic to be about those shows. I mainly want to discuss shows such as America's Funniest Home Videos that have been on the air FOREVER, but are STILL in production on new episodes.

Just a little clarification.
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

Law & Order is going on 20 years, isn't it? And apparently being moved to Friday nights...(uh-oh...)

(As for the Power Rangers, I have no idea why it got on the air in the first place...)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm amazed some sitcoms are still on, as quickly as new sitcoms get the boot.

I absolutely despised "Lie to Me" and it got approved for a second season. Blech.

I can't believe Two and a Half Men is still on. What is that kid, like 16, now?
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm surprised According to Jim lasted as long as it did. It just got cancelled.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Unsolved Mysteries. Seriously. And all the clips are from 15-20 years ago!
          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            I'm amazed some sitcoms are still on, as quickly as new sitcoms get the boot.

I can't believe Two and a Half Men is still on. What is that kid, like 16, now?

I think it's more like 14, but anyway....

that one, I can tell you why it's still on! It's because it's THE NUMBER 1 RATED COMEDY ON THE AIR TODAY!

Yes, higher ratings than The Simpsons, or Family Guy, or South Park, apparently.

And frankly, I'm GLAD it's the Number 1 Comedy on right now! You know why?

Because it's a HELL of a lot better than some of the other choices, and for that matter, it's better than a lot of the other comedies that previously held the title!

It may not be the best TV comedy ever made (Red Dwarf and The Tick were both better, IMHO) but I like it better than most. Some of the members of the supporting cast play very memorable characters that really crack me up!
            Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
            Unsolved Mysteries. Seriously. And all the clips are from 15-20 years ago!
            Ummm... I don't really know how to tell you this.... but unless they're making new episodes for cable that I don't know about.... I thought Unsolved Mysteries was canceled AGES ago?!?

*Looks up the show on IMDB.Com*

Hmmm.... looks like Unsolved Mysteries DID run for at least 16 seasons.... which is weird, because NBC canceled it in 1997, after only 10 years on the air... and the host, Robert Stack, died in 2003 at age 84. Looks like after NBC's cancellation, it must have been resurrected (possibly on cable) for another 5 seasons before being canceled again in 2002, only to be resurrected again for a new season just last year (obviously with a new host). Huh, didn't know that.
            "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
            --StanFlouride

Comment

Law and Order: SVU.

Look, I like Eliot's characterization as well as anybody, but there are only so many ways you can pitch a rape-murder in NYC before it gets old. I'm surprised it lived through one season without people getting bored of the repetition, let alone the many that have come out.

Lost

Yeah... the novelty of you being trapped on an island wore off years ago, and at this point it's just plain silly the things the writers are coming up with. I'm fairly certain they've given up and are just trying to figure out how long it'll take for people to notice.
              "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Quoth Shards View Post
                Law and Order: SVU.

Look, I like Eliot's characterization as well as anybody, but there are only so many ways you can pitch a rape-murder in NYC before it gets old. I'm surprised it lived through one season without people getting bored of the repetition, let alone the many that have come out.
                It was close to not getting renewed, due to the contract negotiations with the stars, and due to Jay Leno being given the 10 PM time slot every night Monday-Friday. But as far as I know, it IS being renewed.
                Lost

Yeah... the novelty of you being trapped on an island wore off years ago, and at this point it's just plain silly the things the writers are coming up with. I'm fairly certain they've given up and are just trying to figure out how long it'll take for people to notice.
                Let me ask you this: Do you watch the show? Do you pay attention to the news regarding the show?

The reason I ask is that ABC and the producers announced a couple YEARS ago that the 6th season will be the FINAL season. That's right, the upcoming season, which will air in the winter and spring of 2010, will be Lost's final bow. 17 more episodes to go, and then the story's FINISHED!

The last 2 seasons have been SUPERB, and I, for one, have definitely been getting a sense of the show building towards the big finale for some time now.

Now I just have to survive the next 8 months or whatever 'til the Season 6 premiere!
                --StanFlouride

Comment

Desperate Housewives - Season 1? RAWKED. Season 2? Bored me to TEARS

Prison Break - after they broke out of prison, it seemed kind of pointless...(yes, I know they got into another prison, but still)

Grey's Anatomy - great drama, but after season 3 I got SO. SICK of the all the bloody personal issues - it changed from a good dramatic medical show to a damn soap opera. And the whole "I love you! I don't love you! I need my space! I need you! We should see other people! I don't want you seeing other people!" shtick with Grey and McDreamy got on my nerves...
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                    The reason I ask is that ABC and the producers announced a couple YEARS ago that the 6th season will be the FINAL season. That's right, the upcoming season, which will air in the winter and spring of 2010, will be Lost's final bow. 17 more episodes to go, and then the story's FINISHED!
                    You know how people can be with Lost... you can have a polar bear attack, a building exploding, and a whole lot of exposition and some people will still say nothing happened in that ep.

Comment

Regarding the Power Rangers/Super Sentai thing, I think I know why...

Super Sentai: as it's pretty much the equivelent of something like Transformers for young boys in the Western World, that may be why it's still popular. Yes, there are a million combinations, I'm surprised it's still running after 30 years though.

Power Rangers: Well from what I know, it was originally created as the "male" version of Sailor Moon, so to speak. They tried to make other cheap rip-offs of series similar to this, but they didn't last. I'm willing to bet that because there's always a problem that needs to be solved, it could possibly be seen as decent viewing for kids, even though there's violence? Also the violence is less glorified, so that may be why.

Shows I'm surprised ran for so long over here...

Ocean Girl: the thing ran for FOUR seasons!! Season 1? Fine. Season 2? Fine. Season 3? A bit lacking in areas. Season 4? Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. There was virtually NO relation to the previous seasons, too much changed!!
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Just had to check, darn curiosity good thing I'm not a cat...

Unsolved Mysteries is still producing new shows.
                        "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

What the hell channel is Unsolved Mysteries on? Lifetime? Must be on when I'm sleeping or at work, apparently.....I remember a few years ago, you could watch episodes from 15 years ago on Lifetime at noon.

I don't understand how Prison Break is still on either.......I got bored after season one.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Spike, I believe.

As for me, 90% of network TV. Even if it's only on for half a season, that's longer than logic suggests most of it would last.
                            The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Not really a show, but a network -- MTV. What the hell does the "M" stand for anyway? It hasn't been "Music" for roughly two decades.

Any of those so-called "reality" shows.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X