This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two greats have passed away, one more to go

The posts in the Check it Out forum about two greats who have passed away only brought me down further today.

The third will be My Father. He has between five and seven days, depending on his strength.

Last Saturday night, he fell and broke his hip while being transferred from his wheelchair and bed by the CNA who was aiding him. We've reviewed the incident, and she even showed us how it happened, and we cannot fault her in this. Perhaps a change in policy at the home, but I digress.

He was admitted for a broken femur, high enough to be considered a hip break, but they soon found that he had pneumonia, and put him on antibiotics. He's been on them off and on ever since, along with morphine to manage his pain, and occasionally something for his stomach, which has been upset. He cannot eat anything because he's lost what little gag reflex he had left after the strokes, but hasn't had any new ones.

All in all, it's only a matter of time. We've decided against a feeding tube, because it will only lengthen his pain, and we know he doesn't want to be kept alive like that.

My younger sister is out here from Nebraska along with my niece, and most if not all of his siblings (2 sisters and 4 brothers) are coming out this weekend to see him. It's going to be hectic for the next week or so.

My Father was a great man. I know most people feel that way, but I can't help but compare to others. He may not have done anything notable to the rest of the world, but he taught me right from wrong as well as the values that I hold dear.

D and I are going to pick up the paperwork on Monday and, if my Uncle is willing, have him perform a simple ceremony at his bedside so he can be present. Hopefully he'll be lucid enough to realize what's happening. I know it'll make him smile.

Thank you all for letting me vent a bit.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Eric, Im really sorry to hear that. I hope your father has a peaceful passing surrounded by the family he loves.

Comment

*snugs hard and holds* You know we're here for you when you need us.

Be safe during these times.

Comment

Thanks guys, it means a lot.

Eric the Grye

Comment

Im so sorry to hear that Eric, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

My thoughts & prayers are with you as well. It's an incredibly hard thing to go through - I just went through a similar situation with my Dad in February. You're doing everything you can for him. Take comfort in having your family with you at this time. I'm sure it's bringing him comfort.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

*hugs and condolances*
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

My thoughts are with your family, and my prayers go out that your father will have a peaceful passing with his loving family around him.

I'm so very sad to hear this. You'll be in my prayers, Eric.
                Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

*many many hugs*
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I'm so sorry. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I'm so sorry. I wish I had words that could make saying goodbye less hard, but I know nothing can. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

It's never easy, that's true.

Thank you all. It is much appreciated. Gonna swing by the hospital for a few before I go home to sleep...

Eric the Grey

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that, but at least your father will have a peaceful passing with his loved ones surrounding him.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

It isnt easy, my da died last summer .... pm me if you want to vent privately ... but it does get better eventually
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Just an update:

This morning, Dad had trouble breathing, but they put an oxygen mask on him (instead of just the nose whatchamthingies they'd been using) and he settled down.

They also moved him to Hospice this afternoon. This involved a lot of pain on his part due to them having to move his hip. Since I had to work, I didn't get to go by to see him before hand, but I've been told he's settled in and resting now.

After tonight, I'm off until Thursday, so I'll be able to spend more time with him. D and I are going to pick up our license Monday and see if the Chaplin at his residence will perform a quick ceremony where Dad can see it. We both so much wanted him to see it, so we're pushing things up so he can. I was going to have my Uncle do it, but apparently he can no longer perform marriages.

Eric the Grey

Comment

Working...
                              X