This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One brave little kitten . . .

Well, we weren't planning this but . . . we have a new addition to our home.

Mom discovered the little one yesterday morning after coming home from taking me to work. She was outside in the yard and kept hearing a kitten crying. She went across the street and up a couple of houses to a large 2 story that sits near the corner and discovered a small black and white kitten hiding in the long wall of shrubbery that divides the house from the corner.

Of course, little kitten was scared and wouldn't come out. So Mom called my brother on her cell phone and he brought out some canned food to give it.

Then Mom found a small robin in the yard that apparently fell out of its nest so she had my brother bring a small carrier so she could pick it up before the neighbors' cat spottted it (Skittles would have seen that bird and thought 'lunch'.)

Mom called a wildlife rehabber and left a voicemail about the bird but got no call back so she took the bird back to the house and set it out into the front yard.

When I got home from work, we both went over there . . . I spotted the kitten in the shrubbery and tried to get it to come out. Kitty wouldn't budge - just kept meowing loudly. So, I left it another half can of canned food and a bowl of water.

Meanwhile, the bird was still in the front yard among the bushes by the porch. A larger robin was up in a tree, conversing back and forth with it. Apparently it was the mommy bird coming back to check on it, so the bird was okay.

I was going to go back and check on it again this morning but instead I had a surprise.

Sitting in the middle of the empty dry food bowl near the steps was that little kitten. Somehow she had made it across the street and our street is 2 lanes w/double solid line - it sees a good amount of traffic as it's a main connector road to two major roads.

She had made it across the road and was on the porch. After a couple of minutes of chasing her from one corner to the opposite end of the steps, I caught her and took her into the house.

Mom was just as flabbergasted as I was. So I set the kitten down in the kitchen and quickly got it a bowl of food and water, took it out to the office and set a fresh litter box out there.

Meanwhile, she'd gotten into the laundry room and was huddled in the corner behind the hot water heater. She couldn't stay out there, because my brother would be going in and out that back door to bring the dogs' bowls in to fill them and I didn't want the kitten zooming out the back door and get lost, so I finally managed to get her out and into the office.

Since I came home, I've checked on her every little bit. She's seems to be getting over being scared somewhat and not only lets me pet her, but she's already graduated to wanting to butt heads, climb my pant legs, try to chase me around the room, walk on my shoulders.

I think she's going to be okay. We'll just take her to the vet first of the month (when I get paid again) and have her checked out (we checked - it's a GIRL) and she'll get what shots she needs at this point. She's also sneezing a little bit, so we'll have that checked out too.

She's a cutie pie . . . she looks about 8 weeks old maybe but she's something else already.

Presenting Miss Gizmo
    Attached Files
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Oh, she's CUTE!!!

I want one
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
      Sitting in the middle of the empty dry food bowl near the steps was that little kitten.
      First, Gizmo is adorable. I am so jealous

Second, I can just imagine her sitting in the bowl. SO CUTE!
      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

AwwwwwwKITTY! She is adorable. I can totally see her sitting in the food bowl.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Aw... widdle kitty.

Maybe she was a housecat first. Might wanna see if somebody lost her. She could have a family already.
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Kitty! She's adorable. Honestly, if she had people already, they should've put a collar on her so she could come home again. Better Gizmo have a new loving home now than a maybe-loving home, sometime in the future, that might not happen.

Then again, maybe I'm just jealous. I want a kitty, but I'm allergic. And living in an apartment with a pretty steep 'pet rent.'

Comment

Aw, she's cute! Congratulations on your new friend.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Awwww!!!! Lookitdawiddlekitty!!!! She's cute! Congrats on your new furry friend!
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Showed the pic to Mom, "She has a dirty nose."
                  Me: But she's cute.
                  Mom: Yes, but she still has a dirty nose.

Mothers...always worried about noses, ears, and the back of necks.

Very cute.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    Showed the pic to Mom, "She has a dirty nose."
                    Me: But she's cute.
                    Mom: Yes, but she still has a dirty nose.

Mothers...always worried about noses, ears, and the back of necks.

Very cute.
                    I just had the "dirty nose" lecture from my mom earlier this evening . . . so I guess before I go to bed shortly I"ll go get a warm wet washcloth and try to wipe Gizmo's nose.

If she'll let me, that is.

I think she's some sort of Super Kitty . . . she can already leap a 3 foot high stereo speaker in a single bound (4 feet if you count the CD carousel and turntable sitting on top of the speaker). Next thing I know, I see two little ears peeking up over the window of the door from the bedroom . . .

Funny how something that small can run the house.
                    Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 06-23-2009, 11:30 PM.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

If she's ready to bump head, you might be able too.

Comment

Omg! A fuzzy! It is a CUTIE!
                        "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                          If she's ready to bump head, you might be able too.
                          I wiped her nose off yesterday evening and already she's gotten it dirty again. But then she's still sneezing some, but otherwise eating and using the litter box and has more energy than the Energizer Bunny.

She already thinks she can do everything I do.

No, you can't get on that table. No you can't use the iron . . . your paws are too little and besides, you don't have opposable digits. No you can't use my hand a a chew toy . . . No you can't jump into the toilet, you'll get wet and might drown . .No you can't get into the tub 'cause you'll slide trying to climb back up the wall . . .No you can't climb onto the sofa . . . that's the death penalty right there if Granny catches you . . .You're going back out to the office for a little bit until I can get this done . . .

And that sums up every evening this week so far.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                            No, you can't get on that table. No you can't use the iron . . . your paws are too little and besides, you don't have opposable digits. No you can't use my hand a a chew toy . . . No you can't jump into the toilet, you'll get wet and might drown . .No you can't get into the tub 'cause you'll slide trying to climb back up the wall . . .No you can't climb onto the sofa . . . that's the death penalty right there if Granny catches you . . .You're going back out to the office for a little bit until I can get this done . . .

And that sums up every evening this week so far.
                            Welcome to the world of Living With A Kitten. My Chessie's been putting me through much the same routine! (And I'm having to remind everyone to close bedroom doors and the toilet lid to avoid her getting into mischief...oy!)
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I have got to stop reading kitty threads.....its bad enough my bf is constantly telling me he wants more kittens.

(and yes...he meant kittens )
                              "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                              "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                              X