This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A personal first!

Celebrate with me folks, I got my first "economy" comment!

I think, since my job is making what amounts to really silly luxury items, that my customers avoid thinking about the economy, because either they're somehow not being affected by the current problems, or they're in denial about them, otherwise they wouldn't be buying really silly luxury items.

So up until now I haven't heard anything much about it. And although it has affected my business a little, it's not affected it in the ways one might think.

Ah but today I finally got one! Somebody asking me for a price quote on some paws, and when I quoted the price, which is what I have been charging for this particular style, (and successfully sold quite a lot of them!) since I started making them about a year ago, she said "That's an awful lot in todays economy.. I'm surprised."

And I got the exercise the benefits of being self-employed by responding "That's what the time it takes to make them is worth to me. There are plenty of cheaper costume makers, if a bargain is what you're after. I prefer to be able to pay my rent, though."

(Yes, I am very easily amused.)
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Congratulations!

One of the few joys of being self-employed is being able to tell someone to bugger off.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Why is it that when the economy goes bad, people think that sellers can afford to take a loss?

It's not like you have a stock of paws moldering in the back room you need to unload, these are custom-made items. That sort of thing tends to get MORE expensive as demand drops.
      Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Working...
      X