This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I...am an idiot.

So I went to do some errands - Target, Wegmans - and just got home a bit ago. Roomie is out for the day with her mommy and a friend (they went to see Harry Potter, and she texted me after saying "I'm disappointed"). I brought up the cold stuff first and put it away (it was 89 degrees out when I left earlier; I left the air on while I was gone and it brought my living down from 83 to 79 degrees in 3 hours). Went back down to get the last two bags in the trunk...took them out, set them on the ground, closed the trunk...went to hit the button on my keys (force of habit; car was already locked)...oh shit. No keys.

I checked my pockets, checked in the bags in case I dropped them in, checked the ground around the car...no keys. Luckily I hadn't locked the apartment door, but the downstairs door locks automatically, and of course it closes properly when I don't want it to. Had to ring the downstairs neighbors' doorbell (at least I knew they were home cuz their sliding glass door was open).

Just invited my mommy and/or daddy to come for dinner.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

I was going to post a similar story to this. I got home from work last night and was somewhat on autopilot. I tried twice to unlock my front door to my home by pressing the unlock button on my car remote

Comment

My dad locked the keys in his car once... with the car running.

Feel better now?
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
        My dad locked the keys in his car once... with the car running.

Feel better now?
        I do, thanks.

Actually, they're not coming for dinner because my mom is already cooking chicken and taking some of it to my aunt, who is not always up for cooking so much. She said she could bring the spares later. I'll take her across the street to Ralph's for an Italian ice or something.

Comment

I once went out on my last break to put my purse in the car so I could just jet out after work (not deal with pulling stuff out of my locker, emptying pockets, etc.) I put the purse in the trunk, slammed it shut, and only then realized I didn't have my keys on me. I also routinely lock my car w/ the keys in the ignition because it dings no matter what, so I'm used to hearing it. I carry a spare in my purse because I always have purse on arm before locking the car.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Don't feel too bad.
            I've done similar...

I had my car keys and my housekeys all together in one lock, but I locked myself out of my house. On the 3rd floor, and nobody else had a key. I had to go to the landlord and borrow a key, get in, return the borrowed key..and hand my head in shame.

My boyfriend...hehe...
            He was so eager to come visit me, he locked his keys in the car. IN THE IGNITION. OVER NIGHT. We didn't realize it until the next morning, and he was lucky - his windows were partially open. We picked his locks easily with a long stick, and retrieved the keys. I guess nobody wanted to steal his car!

Cutenoob
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
              I guess nobody wanted to steal his car!

Cutenoob
              Heh, I had a customer some years ago, he had forgotten the keys in the bicycle-lock. In the night someone had stolen the lock, but left the bike. I think he was more offended on behalf of his bike than angry about the theft .

Comment

My roommate told me she went somewhere once and they locked the keys in the ignition with the car running...for five hours (well, I don't know if it was still actually running after 5 hours...).

Tonight I left them hanging in the doorknob...which I learned when roomie came in holding them and threatened to glue them to my hand.

I once locked myself out as I was leaving to go to an appointment. The office wasn't open yet. I got supremely lucky and ran into one of the maintenance guys outside the office, though, and he came and let me in. If you have to get them to unlock your door too often, they start charging your for it.

Comment

Working...
                X