Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't hate the player, lady, hate the game.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't hate the player, lady, hate the game.

So, I was innocently browsing the community, catching up on the hilarity and remember the few times I've worked in retail when I read a WIC-related post. I had an experience with WIC once (well, more than once, but none of it memorable) and it was more "Are you serious?" than infuriating. I joined just to post this, but its not epic in any form. I just love this site and wanted to contribute

Backstory, ahoy! This was my first retail job, but I was not naive. I knew what I was getting myself in for, and in fact, it wasnt as bad as I expected. Up until this point, I had worked in offices doing misc. clerical work so i've met a few assclowns in my day. Why everyone thinks they can treat a receptionist like shit is beyond me. Anyways, I was an almighty cashier and damn it, i had a little fun doing it. I was fast, efficient and I followed the rules. Anyone else scared of intercomming? I would do anything not to pick up that phone.

Anyways, its a sunny day in Kansas. Birds are chirping, my check is beeping happily, i'm having an all around alright day. A lady walks up with a wic check and (after totaling) 300$ in infamil. To this day, I don't even know if you can GET that much infamil on one check. I'd swear she only had ONE but I could be wrong, its been about a year and a half since this happened. Obviously all this is paraphrased.

Me: Because my entire shift goal is to get you home ASAP.
    because what the hell, lady? you suck.

(i start scanning her infamil and then i see her pull out The Purple Pamphlet, oh poopoo now I have to call a manager) Wic? Can I see your ID? (as required by LAW.)
    I don't have my ID.
    I need your ID to process WIC
    OMG I HAVE A BABY IN THE CAR (in kansas, at noon, in summer?) JUST RUN IT
    I'm sorry but I'm required to have ID
    ITS NOT EVEN MY CHECK (what?!) ITS MY DAUGHTERS IM BUYING IT FOR HER BABY
    Your daughter will have to come in with her ID and buy it. Im sorry.

I page the manager for this lady because shes FREAKING out. Theres a whole bunch of blah blah that I dont remember but because i'm a drat moron I try to explain in the simplest way why we wont accept it besides ITS AGAINST THE LAW. I realize now that I was inadvertantly calling her a potential thief.

Ma'am it'd be the same as if someone in here had your credit card after stealing your purse claiming to be your daughter/son/you. You wouldn't want us to let them run it.
    (without skipping a beat) NO ONE WOULD EVER STEAL MY PURSE.

Ok. What? Granted, we don't live in south compton but really lady? NO ONE EVER? I get it, we're in an affluent, white neighborhood in kansas but identity theft STILL HAPPENS. If this had been the end of it, I would have been cool. You know, sorry I couldn't help. Send your daughter in to pay for her free infamil. But no, my supervisor comes over. I explain the situation.

The situation, in case somehow I have been unclear:
    1) She has no ID. As I was told by the manager, we are to NEVER ACCEPT WIC WITHOUT ID.
    2) #1 is irrelevant because she ADMITTED it's not her WIC check. Call bullshit, because i'm not sure about this, but that sounds a lot like FRAUD.
    3) She admitted to leaving a baby in a car in Kansas, in the summer, at noon. She should be leaving the store IMMEDIATELY anyway, IMO.

My manager proceeds to tell me, in front of fraudosaurus here, that she would have just accepted the check.

WHAT?

I get paid EIGHT dollars an hour. EIGHT. Not eighty. Not eighty million. EIGHT. I'm not going to get in a ton of trouble with the store and the law for the four dollars i made while helping this lady.

You could cut the smug with a knife. The lady got her infamil and I stood there. My supervisor ran the order through, took the fraudulent wic check and put it in my till. I quit three days later after realizing I didn't want to work for a company that supported illegal activity and getting offered another job that paid more and didn't require me to deal with anyone other than my boss ever.

I'd kill for a job doing anything at the moment. I still wouldn't do anything illegal on the job for the sake of 8 dollars though.

Edit:

BUT WAIT! THERES MORE!

I'm damn short (5'2") and relatively big boned. I was around 140lbs at the time (high end of normal for my height). You know where this is going don't you?

Me: Cashier of happy and sunshine!
    OL: Old lady who apparently skipped years and years of manners lessons.

Me: *happily checking. check. check. check.*
    OL: How far along are you?
    Me: Im sorry??
    OL: When are you due?
    Me: (brain to mouth filter FAILED) I'm not pregnant ma'am, i'm just fat. *check check check*

Oddly, she didn't look at me or say another word.
    Last edited by Whiskey; 08-31-2009, 01:28 PM. Reason: BUT WAIT! THERES MORE! IF YOU CALL NOW....
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

I don't know who was worse - the stupid SC who should have known better (and by the way, how does she KNOW she's impervious to identity fraud? Does she have magic armour that deflects people stealing her credit cards, cheques and bills to use that information to rack up huge bills they don't have to pay for? All I can say is, what a BLOCKHEAD!) or the person above you who is supposed to uphold not only store policy but THE LAW when it comes to ID and payment.

The thing is, in the land of hypothetical, say if you had put that cheque through for smug SC? Who's to say that the story that the SC has given is correct? Who's to say that the daughter may not one day call and complain about someone fraudulently cashing a cheque at your store? And THEN, when legal issues are brought forward as a result, who do you thing would have gotten the blame? Certainly not the people above you - the fact that they were the ones who TOLD you in the first place that you should it would probably magically slip their minds ... and you would get the full brunt of the blame.

Sorry for the reply rant - sorry excuses for people like those in your post make me extremely angry. They don't think about anyone but themselves and they don't care about the trouble they can put people (who are trying to do their job PROPERLY and not fraudulently) through.

Good on you for getting a new job

Comment

Another thing i should have added to the OP.

Lets say, shes God's apprentice who would never, ever do anything wrong and gives CPR to kittens who couldn't stop to breathe while drinking the wonderful homemade, from organic cows, milk that she provides for them.

Who says her and her daughter GET ALONG? If I was on WIC and MY mother bought food/whatever with MY CHECK, i'd never see it. EVER. Just because you managed to be a mother doesn't mean your a good one and your children entrust you with anything.

Also, if a fraud claim was filed, i made sure to stand away so the camera could see the sup processing and taking payment for the product. But it was still under my numbers so they probably would have tried to blame me anyways.
      Last edited by Whiskey; 08-31-2009, 11:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Comment

I don't suppose you made an anonymous call to the appropriate authorities over the illegal actions of your asshole supe?

Fuckers like that are the reason identity theft happens.
        Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
          I don't suppose you made an anonymous call to the appropriate authorities over the illegal actions of your asshole supe?

Fuckers like that are the reason identity theft happens.
          I didn't even think about it at the time. I didn't even go to the manager about it because he was a (#*$&@()^$@# and i'd assume he'd side with her than the kid who just got hired a week prior.

Comment

With the way baby formula is locked up tighter and monitored closer than sudaphed, you'd think it was crack! I absolutely agree that the woman not only should have had her order cancelled, but the cops should have been called if there actually was a baby left in the car.

Which reminds me of another SC I'm going to have to go write about now.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I don't usually have these issues with WIC, because the heavy hand of corporate will crash down on anyone doing WIC incorrectly. They don't like it when the store loses money or when they're fined.

I have had managers override an alcohol purchase for someone I carded. That's usually when the person has EBT (which shows date of birth). Whatever, I'll make sure I follow the law and request proper ID. I don't make so much that I can afford a $10,000 fine willy nilly.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                With the way baby formula is locked up tighter and monitored closer than sudaphed, you'd think it was crack!
                To druggies, it almost is. They use it to cut cocaine.

It also gets stolen for resale on the black market.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth stargirl195 View Post
                  Does she have magic armour that deflects people stealing her credit cards, cheques and bills to use that information to rack up huge bills they don't have to pay for?
                  What, you don't have one? I keep mine right here in my purs- hey, where's my purse?! COME BACK HERE WITH MY PURSE!!!!!!!! HALP!!!11!!

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                  but the cops should have been called if there actually was a baby left in the car.
                  I would have followed her out to find out if she really did leave the baby alone in the car and get the license plate. I'm gonna go ahead and assume she meant the baby was in the car with another adult (perhaps the daughter?). Please don't shatter my illusions.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    To druggies, it almost is. They use it to cut cocaine.

It also gets stolen for resale on the black market.
                    And area flea markets sell it too, no matter whether it's in date or not.

We keep our on hand supply either in the case, or locked up in the back w/my HBA backstock (they share a room together and for the most part get along) If there's any extra up front, it'll be about 6 cases of Enfamil w/Lipil concentrate and about the same amount for the powder form and it's put away where the customers can't get to it.

But our state has to enforce the rules to the letter or the entire chain risks losing their WIC license. And one of those is that the signatures HAVE to match. The 2nd line cannot be signed beforehand - we have to SEE you sign that 2nd line and the signatures have to match (well close enough, as nobody can sign their name exactly the same each time, but well enough.)

And if we're still not sure, we can ask for ID and refuse the sale if the customer fails to show ID.

We don't play around with the WIC rules in NC . . .
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

When I worked at the grocery store, I noticed most WIC pamphlets came with multiple people's names on the accounts. Of course there was the mom, then usually the baby daddy, and the mother of the mother or the baby daddy.....I always saw at least 3 signatures.....we were required to see ID for proof every time for a WIC transacation and people always got into a conniption over it.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                      X