This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just stupid

This isn't exactly SC behavior, but completely stupid.

For those of you who don't know, I live in Prague. No, I'm not Czech - just part of a rather large expatriate community here.

So. I like to go to tearooms; they're one of the few non-smoking public establishments here. Plus, they have a wide variety of tea and a relaxing atmosphere.

One day, when meeting with my conversation student, I overheard three American women talking at the next table. Now, this is a tearoom. The sign says "tearoom" in Czech AND English. When you sit down (self-seating), the server hands you a whole damn TEA menu. The only non-tea drinks they have are mineral water and soft drinks.

So these three women sat there chatting, and when the server approached, the spokeswoman came out with it:

"Do you have any decaf coffee?"

God, I hope they haven't bred.

they have; you can bet on it, and probably have at least three bratlings a piece.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

They were not of the age to have bratlings - maybe teenage hellions, though. I think if they had bratlings, they would have had them in the tearoom, rampaging everywhere and creating a huge disturbance.

While I was there, though, I talked to my student about the movie Titanic, how I hated it, what a rotten film it was, and a complete waste of my time and money.

The three women sat deadly silent at their table, giving me the evil eye.

Comment

You are not allowed to badmouth Titanic in America. I think it's a law.
        In fact, when I get home, I am sure the wife will yell at me just for reading that you hated it

Comment

Quoth mrtauntaun View Post
          You are not allowed to badmouth Titanic in America.
          I thought the special effects in that flick were amazing. However, waiting for the damn ship to sink just bored me. Sink the damn ship already
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I was working at the theatre when Titanic came out. I could not believe that I would see people 15-20 times to see that movie over the course of the run. I am proud to say that I have NOT seen the movie in it's entirety. I have seen the first 10 and last 10 minutes about 500000000000 times though. My b/f had a good dating life while that movie was out apparantly, because he saw it 4 times.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I know what happened to the Titanic - it sank. Why would I want to go see a movie about it?
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

The exception to that is Tora! Tora! Tora! You know Pearl gets hit, but you still go becasue lifesize explosions and 1:1 scale models of ships are impressive, and Jerry Goldsmith is an orchestral master.

All the same, I regret to inform you that those... people... will have had at least 2 kids each by the time they're 25.
                I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

They were in their forties, judging by the look of them - though I didn't take a good look, except when the spokeswoman asked the infamous DECAF question. I'm assuming that they couldn't read, or that they couldn't read well enough to find the word "coffee" in the menu.

But man, that Titanic remark really worked! They didn't stay long, though they tried to burn me alive with their eyes. And the silence was most welcome.

Comment

I must be one of about 5 women in the US who disliked that movie, for several reasons.
                    1. The hype and gushing! There are movies I *refuse* to see because they practically became a religion with very overzealous people telling me "You MUST see this!". Uh, no. If it interests me, I'll see it. If it doesn't, and your new object of worship frankly doesn't, I'll skip it. Back off me a bit and I might well watch it a few years down the road when the hype's died down enough that the bad taste has gone away.
                    2. Weren't the *real* people on that ship of any interest, or at all worthy of being remembered?
                    3. I hate the ending (yes, I've seen portions of the [beep] movie, "thanks" to DH). She has this brief adolescent shipboard fling, so after she's lived her adult life with another man, had kids by him, etc., it's the shipboard fling she insists on reuniting with, not her *husband*??? Ugh.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I have no intention of seeing it and I hate it for some absurd reasons. I was in 4th grade when it came out and for some strange reason I bore a resembalance to Di Caprio. I had strangers, neighbors, clerks, relatives, and anyone going up to me saying that I looked like Di Caprio. I don't look like him now thank gord but it drove me insane hearing "AWWW, he looks Leonardo Di Caprio!" GAAHHH!!!!!!!
                      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I must be one of the few here who actually liked the movie then. Maybe not as intimately as some people but it was still a good movie. But then again I am one of those people who is rather fascinated by the whole time period and how Titanic fit into the big picture of things.

But as for the Decaf Coffee thing. To play the devil here: Tea or coffee its all hot water and boiled leaves so its the same thing isn't it?

*duck and cover*

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          I thought the special effects in that flick were amazing. However, waiting for the damn ship to sink just bored me. Sink the damn ship already
                          I haven't seen it, you spoiled the ending!
                          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                            I know what happened to the Titanic - it sank. Why would I want to go see a movie about it?
                            For the same reason that we watch "Apollo 13". We know how it ends, it's the getting there that's exciting. Just like how at the beginning of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", you know Indy is going to get out of the situation, but you still sit there, riveted to your seat!

Quoth Seanette View Post
                            I must be one of about 5 women in the US who disliked that movie, for several reasons.
                            Seanette, meet one of the other 5 women! I actually had no real interest in the thing, but I also wasn't going to help it beat "Star Wars - A New Hope"!

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                            But as for the Decaf Coffee thing. To play the devil here: Tea or coffee its all hot water and boiled leaves so its the same thing isn't it?
                            Um, no. Tea is indeed made from leaves. Coffee, on the other hand, is made from beans.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                              Seanette, meet one of the other 5 women! I actually had no real interest in the thing, but I also wasn't going to help it beat "Star Wars - A New Hope"!
                              I wasn't that enthused about that one, either.

Gotta confess: I saw "Silence of the Lambs" at least six times when it was in theatrical release. Part of the weekly routine for a semester or so: get out of Wednesday evening class (with that and the next evening off from my job), head over to the movie theater (only one in the large town/small city I went to school in), and since that was in that time period the most interesting movie they were showing.....
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                              X