This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working 12 hours on Black Friday

My friend who works as a cashier at Wal-Mart told me that they they told everybody there they might have to work 12 hour shifts on Black Friday. She said she's only going to work her regular 8 hour shift. There's no reason to stay working there that long on any given day. Because what will probably happen is that tbey work 12 hours on Black friday & have to adjust their hours later in the week by taking a longer lunch, coming in later or leaving early. I don't know about anybody else but I'll be damned if I work 12 hours & have to "cut hours" later on. I work 12 hours then I will get paid for those hours.

They're thinking it's going to be super busy on Black Friday but what I'm thinking is that it'll be no more busier than a typical weekend. & those "specials" they so famously advertise for their Black Friday sales. What is so important about buying something at 2 in the morning that can't be bought at a more sensible time of day?

& those super cheap electronics like $300 laptops they had on sale a few years ago. For that low a price on a laptop you have to ask yourself this question-what DOESN"T it have that a more conventionally priced laptop does have? What's it missing that's making it super cheap?

People really need to use their brains.

At the swamp, 8 hours is the longest anybody works on any particular day, including Black Friday.

I don't think I could make it 12 hours that day. First off, I always work overnight to help get stuff set up. Then I'm there as the big rush comes in early in the morning so I'm running my butt off bringing out more merchandise, building displays, taking things off risers for customers, and so on. I'm always pretty well knackered at the end of my shift that day.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

This is going to be the first Black Friday I'm out in ever. As a worker or a customer, although I still refuse to do any shopping that day. Don't have my schedule yet, but I'm hoping I can either get it done quick or just have one of my normal late shifts.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

A cashier at my local walmart told me the 12 hours thing. It makes me glad i don't work at wm.

walmart will be crazy for black friday, that's a given.
        you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post

walmart will be crazy for black friday, that's a given.
          Let's shoot for no fatalities this year.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've been told my shift will probably be 4am till 4pm. 12 hours is the norm for our warehouse on black friday.

Comment

Makes me glad about 95% of my shopping is done, and that I'll be doing the other 5% with this coming check. I worship at the church of do it sooner than later, don't mess with it later.
              Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

It has been rumored that my shift might be 3 AM to 5 PM. I'm only hoping for a 3 to 3 shift. Anymore and I might go crazy.

No one should have to work that kind of shift in any job, especially retail. 8 hours is hard enough...

Comment

My longest black friday shift was 3:30 AM - 10:00 PM, with only a half hour break. I was there the next morning at 9 to open

That company isn't around anymore, but boy that paycheck rocked.

Comment

I think I'll be getting that one too. Maybe. I can't work all day on Friday due to religious reasons, (Jewish - Sabbath starts really early in the winter, 'round 4:30 PM.) but I still want to help out.

I remember my longest days running the full gamut of store hours, from about 7:15 AM, (With 15 minutes of "get the store ready before we open" time.) to 9:30 PM (Half an hour into the "Get everyone out despite that we closed half an hour ago at 9:00 PM" period.) So that's what', 14.25 hours? Didn't get a chance to take much of a break that day. Hardware guy AND electric guy AND Seasonal guy were on vacation, and it was a BIG truck. $80,000 worth of stuff arrived. I'll not be forgetting that day any time soon.
                    SC: "Are you new or something?"
                    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

I'm like lobo, I have the vast majority of my Christmas shopping done already mainly because I hand-make almost all of my presents at least two months in advance. What I can't make I buy throughout the year; gift cards are the only things I get closer to Christmas.

Don't know what I'm working Black Friday but I've already flat-out refused to work Thanksgiving unless I'm off the next day -- there's no sense in closing on Thanksgiving at 9 PM then have to be back into the store five hours later. >.> If I didn't have to work Black Friday, I'd be in bed or watching TV -- no sense in trying to go shopping that day, even for "lowest prices of the year!!!" deals.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I just saw the schedule. I have Black Friday off! Woot!

And...um...sorry guys.
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

wal mart will tell you that you are working 12 hrs on Black Friday, then tell you to go home at 8 or less. I never worked more than 8 hrs on a Black Friday. Making you cut hrs is not possible because Friday is the last day of their week. Once the first rush is over the store was as busy as a normal Saturday.
                          "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Luckily for me, Black Friday is actually pretty slow at the Medicine Hat. Since I'm a pharmacy employee, and doctors are typically off that day (four day weekend for them), we actually only need fewer techs than normal. I had it off last year and am hoping for it off again this year.
                            Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

I never shop on Black Friday. There's other days of the year you can get some good deals and sales on something without having to deal with a big crowd of pushy morons.
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                              X