Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't send your non-sewing spouse to the fabric store!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't send your non-sewing spouse to the fabric store!

Had a funny one today. Definitely not a SC, but you can tell this fellow didn't know sewing. First he brings a bolt of the $6 Red Tag Vinyl (as in, plastic backed with flannel, the stuff you make table coverings out of) to the counter, asked me how much was there, asked if the price was for the whole thing. "No, sir, it's per yard." "That's too much!" he takes the bolt and goes back.

After a few customers, I have time to kill so I start putting away fabric. The gentleman is still looking around. He brings a bolt of nylon (like what umbrellas are made from) to me and says, "My wife wants me to pick up some cheap tan fabric to make toddler vests with. Will this work?" I told him that he really wanted something softer, that nylon would work for a windbreaker but not for a vest. That's what he wanted the vinyl for, too! He was just grabbing whatever bolt had tan-colored fabric without paying attention to whether it was something someone would want to wear!

I know a newbie when I see one, so I decided to have pity on him. I picked up a couple of tan calico bolts (calico is 100% cotton, used for quilting and sun dresses) and showed them to him. "This is the type of fabric you probably want. It's soft and comfortable, and it's $3.99 a yard." "That's still too much. How about burlap?" Mentally, I went but didn't say it out loud. Instead I showed him the burlap, the type of fabric you wrap tree roots with, rough as sandpaper. Definitely not something you want to wear!!! He really had no clue!

Finally, we found a nice dark natural muslin fabric for $1.49 a yard, and he was happy with that. But holy moly, BURLAP for toddler clothing?!
    Last edited by XCashier; 11-25-2009, 04:34 AM. Reason: explanation of the types of cloth for those who do not sew
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Ahem. Never send a newb to do a veteran's job. Especially if that newb is your spouse: Husband in this case. The end result is predictably disastrous and strains marital harmony. He's confused and ultimately frustrated, she gets upset because 'he should have known!', and SOMEONE ends up sleeping on the couch for an indeterminate length of time.

It's such an inefficient method of getting things done. I have to wonder if they really talk to each other, or just expect each other to 'know' a whole lot of things the other doesn't actually have a clue about. Sad, really.
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Exactly. If you can't do the job yourself, tell the other person exactly what you want.

"Tan fabric" can mean anything from burlap to velvet! She should've specified "muslin" or "broadcloth" or even just "cotton cloth", then I could've pointed the man in the exact direction and he wouldn't have had to muddle about in frustration for an hour.
      My LiveJournal

Comment

I was talking about this with my husband the other day. We were talking about people who send their spouses to auto/hardware stores when their spouses don't have a clue what they're doing.
        ALWAYS either write down EXACTLY what you want them to pick up and/or send them with a sample of what you need. That way, the employees know what they need and can help get their items!
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

At least it wasn't to buy tampons.

There was a commercial going around a while back for some tampons. This woman sends her boyfriend/husband to the supermarket to buy some tampons. In the aisle, he picks up the mini tampons, puts them back down, picks up some super tampons instead.

at the checkout he asks the girl serving him "Do these come in a larger size?"
          Girl: Nope, that's it.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

funny story...i was buying some tampons once and i saw a guy staring at the wall like it was in klingon. and moving. so i asked if he needed any help, even tho i didn't work at the store...turns out he's a single father and his daughter just "started her monthly womanlies" as he put it. so i gave him some advice based on my experience and we went our separate ways. poor guy...
            If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
            ^_^

Comment

I agree that the wife should have been a little more specific, but yeah...burlap? Even I, the least craftiest person ever, know not to make baby clothes out of burlap

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
              funny story...i was buying some tampons once and i saw a guy staring at the wall like it was in klingon. and moving. so i asked if he needed any help, even tho i didn't work at the store...
              Aw, that is so nice of you! That poor guy...
              !
              "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                I agree that the wife should have been a little more specific, but yeah...burlap? Even I, the least craftiest person ever, know not to make baby clothes out of burlap
                Honestly, I think he knew less than zero about cloth and was just picking up anything tan and tossing out some random fabric names that he'd heard. I can't imagine anyone is vicious enough to deliberately make toddler clothes out of burlap.
                My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                  turns out he's a single father and his daughter just "started her monthly womanlies" as he put it. so i gave him some advice based on my experience and we went our separate ways. poor guy...
                  Sounds like he needs to get a female nurse practitioner to talk to his daughter!
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Problem's not not sewing, problem's not caring what he wears. I woulda known better and I never touched a bolt of fabric. X3
                    Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Working...
                    X