This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This struck me as suicidal.

On my way home from having to pick up a few last minute christmas gifts. Roads are slightly slicker than normal due to it snowing so when I wind up behind a bus I'm hardly throwing a fit. That is till I realize I'm going way under the speed limit. It's a 35-40 zone and we're barely moving in this lane for some reason.

My first thought is of course that someone's car broke while driving. We're smack by the city park so there isn't an immediate parking lot for someone to pull into and get out of people's way. Sucks but it happens.

So naturally I figure go around (specially since the bus hasn't thought of this yet) and thank my lucky stars that it's all clear and nothing to cause issues.

I pull around the bus to a sight that just made me go

What is causing a minor traffic jam on the busiest street of town is not a poor motorist with a busted car. It's a cyclist on a ten speed who seems to be going slow for fear of the slick conditions. This guy is riding along in the middle of one of the car tracks, mind you (far as I know) the city does not have a law against bikes on the sidewalk and the park sidewalks are just as clear (clearer if your counting traffic) as the road.

So I am confused by this person's behavior. It seems to be that the sidewalks that have been cleared for runners and cyclists would be far safer to be in then the middle of the road where you have crazy teenagers and college students that like to fly up and down it and not remember that tires don't grip so well when wet.

Seems to me that the suicidal tendencies were strong in that one.
    "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

I don't understand people riding bikes in the snow. When the first snow of the year hit, my bike went in the garage or the shed until spring.

But then again I'm not big into bicycling.

Oh, and your post title reminded me of another story that isn't really related, so I'm making a different thread for it.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

First thought: Alcohol is involved.

Second: The bicyclist has entitlement issues. In cities where bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks, it just sucks to be a motorist because they have to share the road. In this case, though, even if it were against the law to be on the sidewalk, I would choose the walk over the road and argue a ticket in court over preserving life and limb in hazardous operating conditions.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

it could be any number of things, and bike laws are different in every city. in philly, sidewalks in the business districts are a big no no for bikes. outside the business district bikes can ride on the sidewalk but must obey the laws as if they were a pedestrian and must go fairly slow. this isn't a problem after one day of snow because the business district roads are completly cleared by the next day. I refused to ride my bike because of where I live outside the city. our steps and sidewalks are the responsibility of the home owner infront of them, and many people either don't shuvle, or don't do it well enough for me to safely navigate it. my neighborhood has a bike lane, which turned into the snow plow pile lane due to 2 ft. of snow.... so... I'm gunna wait until it melts to venture out again.

on the subject of that guy, though he lawfully can ride in the road, he probably could have also lawfully road on the sidewalk just fine. and even if it was against the law, the police probably wouldn't care because of the road conditions.

Comment

Where I live, bikes are not allowed on the sidewalks unless they have wheels under 24". The Ontario driver's handbook (the thing you read and get tested on for your driver's license) says that bikes on the road are allowed to be in the same lane as any car, or can keep to the right hand side of the right lane.

Most drivers around here don't understand that a bike is indeed allowed to take the lane, i.e. ride in the center of the lane instead of shuffling over into the gutter. They also don't understand that bikes are supposed to use turn lanes just like cars -- move to the left lane, make your turn staying in the left lane and crossing as few lanes as possible, and move back over to the right as soon as it's safe.

I get more drivers honking at me when I'm trying to turn left from a left lane than any other time when I'm riding. Quite often I'll get off and walk through the two intersections rather than making a left.

Drivers' entitlement issues and ignorance of law trump anything that the handbook says, apparently. Please check your local (municipal, state, province, etc.) laws so that you know what cyclists are and are not allowed to do, before you go off snarking at them for something that might be entirely legal.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
            First thought: Alcohol is involved.

Second: The bicyclist has entitlement issues.
            Then there's... Third: The bicyclist is simply an idiot.

I once worked with someone, who would bike to work no matter what the weather. Didn't matter how cold it was, she refused to spend the money for a bus. Of course, we then were subjected to her complaining about how "cold," "wet," or "hot" it was outside

But, at least most of those people stay off the highways--I don't even want to think about possible carnage in the 55mph zones Still, it hasn't stopped some idiot on red scooter from using Route 28 every damn morning. Never mind that his POS won't even do 40! And yes, he does hold up traffic, and then can't understand why most motorists flip him off
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
              Where I live, bikes are not allowed on the sidewalks unless they have wheels under 24". The Ontario driver's handbook (the thing you read and get tested on for your driver's license) says that bikes on the road are allowed to be in the same lane as any car, or can keep to the right hand side of the right lane.

Most drivers around here don't understand that a bike is indeed allowed to take the lane, i.e. ride in the center of the lane instead of shuffling over into the gutter. They also don't understand that bikes are supposed to use turn lanes just like cars -- move to the left lane, make your turn staying in the left lane and crossing as few lanes as possible, and move back over to the right as soon as it's safe.

I get more drivers honking at me when I'm trying to turn left from a left lane than any other time when I'm riding. Quite often I'll get off and walk through the two intersections rather than making a left.

Drivers' entitlement issues and ignorance of law trump anything that the handbook says, apparently. Please check your local (municipal, state, province, etc.) laws so that you know what cyclists are and are not allowed to do, before you go off snarking at them for something that might be entirely legal.
              Honestly I wasn't pondering if what he was doing was legal. I was more concerned that he was riding his bike on a busy road when the roads were nasty for a car. What if someone was going to fast and then couldn't stop and hit the guy? He was stupid enough not to be wearing a helmet after all (I'm guessing he thought his x many layers of winter wear would save him?
              "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post

But, at least most of those people stay off the highways--I don't even want to think about possible carnage in the 55mph zones

Hmmm, where I am it's illegal to ride a bike on interstates and most other 55 areas. Doesn't stop kids from doing it.....on the shoulder of the fast lane.
                Last edited by Bramble; 12-25-2009, 03:59 PM. Reason: of not or -.-
                My Wajas cave

Comment

The State of Colorado has a law on the books that states "A bicycle is a motor vehicle." Even when it has no motor. As such, it's permissible to ride a bike on the Interstate in that state. Colorado interstates apparently have no minimum speed requirements at all.

(I remember seeing a sign on I-76 at the NE/CO border saying Trucks Keep Left. This puzzled me until I saw the next sign saying that bicycles were permitted on the interstate; they probably don't want truckers blowing the bicyclists all the way to Wyoming when they pass them. This was in '96, so I don't know if those signs are still there. Googling for this brings up a recent Denver Post article on an accident where a trucker doing 70mph (in a 75mph zone) clipped a guy in a "farm truck" who was traveling about 20-25mph in the right lane. The guy was known to always drive that slow, although nobody knows if his truck (a '66 GMC pickup with a bed full of corn) just wouldn't go any faster or if he simply liked driving slowly. http://neighbors.denverpost.com/view...f=8&t=13865274 and scroll down to TruckerJeff's comment.)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    I don't understand people riding bikes in the snow.
                    When it's your only option to get to work-it's not actually that bad or unsafe, as long as EVERYONE follows the rules of the road.

Sports have seasons, cycling is not a sport, it is a mode of transportation and as such has no "season"

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                    Second: The bicyclist has entitlement issues. In cities where bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks, it just sucks to be a motorist because they have to share the road.
                    So exercising one's equal rights that are protected by the law is "entitlement issues", but "having to share the road with a lesser vehicle" is not. gotcha.

Going to fratching to finish this...
                    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM.
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I cycled to the supermarket today. The thermometer said -16°C.

Bear in mind that this is Finland, and therefore there are cycle paths which are not part of the road, and which are kept clear and gritted. Also, I have proper winter tyres, wth snow tread and ice studs. There was absolutely no problem getting there and back, though I was rather pleased to get into the warmth at either end.

Well, no problem with traffic or traction, anyway. I do seem to have a problem with my freewheel - I suspect the ratchet in it is sticking in the cold, possibly a lubrication problem. I had to stop and whack the rear axle several times to make it re-engage.

I didn't find the screwdriver I needed (WHY do all the sets stop at Torx T10, when I need a T8?), but I did find a new pair of gloves since my old ones were getting rather tattered. I tried them on for the ride home, and they were at least as warm as the old pair - not bad for €5.

Comment

Quoth Bramble View Post
                        Doesn't stop kids from doing it.....on the shoulder of the fast lane.
                        PA won't let you do that either. People have tried to ride along the interstates, but usually get picked up by the troopers. Didn't stop my stupid cousin from attempting to use his go-kart along I-79 one night. Good thing the cops were called, since that POS had no lights, and people go well over the 65mph limit! Of course, his trouble soon got worse when the cops found that he'd driven out there (no license), was drunk (and underage), and attempted to elude the cops. Didn't get very far, since his attempt was thwarted when the kart's motor threw a rod
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Sadly, there are a lot of cyclists who seem to think that they have every right to impede traffic. I don't understand this, seeing as obstinately staying in the centre of the lane on a main road is a very good way to end up as a red stain on the tarmac.

I have a motorbike. I know that sometimes I am entitled to the right of way. However, since I don't want to die, I will sometimes have to relinquish that right. No, it's not fair that the dickhead in the SUV automatically gets his way all the time; however, I want to live and I'd rather be alive and letting the dickhead go first, rather than demanding my rights and ending up dead.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            I have a motorbike. I know that sometimes I am entitled to the right of way. However, since I don't want to die, I will sometimes have to relinquish that right.(...) I'd rather be alive and letting the dickhead go first, rather than demanding my rights and ending up dead.
                            Dale Carnegie quoted the following epitaph, allegedly from the Boston Transcript, about someone who apparently disagreed with you.

Here lies the body of William Jay,
                            Who died maintaining his right of way;
                            He was right, dead right, as he sped along,
                            But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
                            It's supposedly fictitious, but makes its point all the same.

Comment

Speaking of bicyclists with suicidal wishes, I saw one recently who tried to cross the street on a red light, just as the left turn arrow had changed to green. Naturally, that person almost got hit by someone turning left.

Comment

Working...
                              X