X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garrett's Principle

Console RPG Cliche #14 states:
    Let's not mince words: you're a thief. You can walk into just about anybody's house like the door wasn't even locked. You just barge right in and start looking for stuff. Anything you can find that's not nailed down is yours to keep. You will often walk into perfect strangers' houses, lift their precious artifacts, and then chat with them like you were old neighbors as you head back out with their family heirlooms under your arm. Unfortunately, this never works in stores.

This has been an ongoing trend at my hotel. We have cubbards in the breakfast area that stores things like silverware and napkins when they're not being used during breakfast. People from the suckiest of suck to mostly tolerable would rummage through the cabnets looking for silverware or plates.

I don't mind if people ASK for certain items, but it pisses me off to no end when they just rummage through.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

You mean that isn't where you keep your Elixers?
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I don't like when people rummage through our cupboards, either. Most of our stuff like plates, bowels, and plastic-wear are in plain sight...if we run out don't start looking like a theif up to no good by opening every bloody cupboard like you are casing the place.

Also, mind your young. It's not funny or cute that they are opening cupboards, throwing stuff out, and/or proceeding to leave all of them open...
      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Kids?

I've seen grown men and women do this before
        "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
        Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
          You mean that isn't where you keep your Elixers?
          No, the elixirs are in the grandfather clock
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
            No, the elixirs are in the grandfather clock
            You have to talk to the cat to get mine.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              [I]Let's not mince words: you're a thief...
              That's why I'm training my chickens to attack anyone wearing green on sight.
              EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
              ~-~
              Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

Hmm, well, if you have Garrett coming into your store, then all you need to do is turn off loot glint, and you should be fine

Comment

At least they're rummaging for stuff they might use to eat with. Check this out:

A few months ago my friend's dad was telling us about a guy who got arrested in his apartment building. The buildings all have these nice wooden and glass display case/hutches in the lobbies with a few random nice-looking china plates and vases for decoration. It seems some idiot who lived in my friend's dad's building moved their lobby's hutch away from the wall, pried off the back (anyone who has assembled those things knows that a lot of them have a 1/4" or so piece of fake wood covering the back, held in with a few nails) and tried to steal a couple of the decorative china.

In full sight of a security camera.

I believe it was a combination of destruction of private property, vandalism and attempted theft that they finally charged him with.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    You have to talk to the cat to get mine.
                    I get the grandfather clock, but I'm not sure I caught this reference. Chrono Trigger?
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      Let's not mince words: you're a thief. You can walk into just about anybody's house like the door wasn't even locked. You just barge right in and start looking for stuff. Anything you can find that's not nailed down is yours to keep. You will often walk into perfect strangers' houses, lift their precious artifacts, and then chat with them like you were old neighbors as you head back out with their family heirlooms under your arm. Unfortunately, this never works in stores.
                      It's not just console RPGs, it happens in PC RPGs also. In at lease one, either Ultima 6 or 7, maybe both, if your character takes something from a house, the NPCs in the party complain about it. If it continues, they eventually leave the party. Sadly, we all know this wouldn't happen in real life.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                        Kids?

I've seen grown men and women do this before
                        I have seen adult men & women do the darnest things.... You're right. It's not just kids!
                        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          I get the grandfather clock, but I'm not sure I caught this reference. Chrono Trigger?
                          Actually, so many of these are reused over and over, its hard telling.

I'm thinking the first Wild Arms, after you learn to speak to animals, one of the cats in a village says something like, "Even we animals are rooting for you!" and gives you on elixer, or somesuch.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I guess i know why people think it is Ok to steal, they can't figure out the difference between a real life and a game.
                            I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
                            X