This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So very sick.

I've been very sick for past few days. Its a cold. Its a flu. I don't know. My throat hurts and is dry. I cough. I sneeze. My whole body hurts. When I stand, I get dizzy and hard to walk. I was so sick, I missed school today.

Any tips on what to do? I've been drinking alot of juice and milk, and eating some fruits and veggies. I also drank alot of chicken broth with some spice in it.

And medicene too.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

My personal cold-cure is NyQuil (or appropriate generic substitute). I take a dose and go to sleep. Repeat as necessary until it's gone.

For me, at least, sleep is the best cure. I happen to be one of those who gets over stuff like that quickly though most of the time.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I'm thinking flu myself.

I can at least function with a cold, but it's annoying. The flu kicks the shit out of you and all you want to do is sleep. Even getting up to use the bathroom or eat is an ordeal.

I mean, if I wasn't buried under all my covers, I was shivering violently.

Well, get well soon. Chicken soup is good for the flu. That's about all I would eat when I had my bout with the flu last fall.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It's too late now but next time, as soon as you feel any symptoms, start taking zinc. Lots of zinc- so much that it makes everything tasteless and metallic. Apparently the lozenges work best.
        It doesn't do anything for the symptoms and has to be started right when you first feel one coming on.
        It weakens the viral membrane so that the little nasties can't reproduce and shortens the duration by about 50%.
        It works and is one of the few over the counter treatments back up by scientific studies:
        http://www.naturalproductsinsider.co...-in-overv.aspx
        "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
        -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

Don't drink milk. Dairy products thicken phlegm (the gross mucous that settles in the back of your throat and chest) and makes it a lot harder to get rid of. Drinking a lot of water, juice, and maybe tea will help thin phlegm out and make it easier to get rid of. Hope you feel better.

ETA: A drink that I make a lot to help ease sore throats is lemon juice and honey mixed together (in whatever amounts you want -- I like it strong so I use at least a couple tablespoons of each per mug) and topped off with boiling water. Apple cider vinegar is good too if you don't have lemon juice.

Comment

Quoth StanFlouride View Post
            It's too late now but next time, as soon as you feel any symptoms, start taking zinc. Lots of zinc- so much that it makes everything tasteless and metallic. Apparently the lozenges work best.
            It doesn't do anything for the symptoms and has to be started right when you first feel one coming on.
            It weakens the viral membrane so that the little nasties can't reproduce and shortens the duration by about 50%.
            It works and is one of the few over the counter treatments back up by scientific studies:
            http://www.naturalproductsinsider.co...-in-overv.aspx
            Can I advise against that? Its not safe to tell someone to ignore appropriate doseages and limits.

#

Zinc. The cold-fighting reputation of zinc has had its ups and downs. That's because many zinc studies — both those that find the mineral beneficial and those that do not — are flawed. The highest quality randomized trials generally show no benefit. In studies with positive results, zinc seemed most effective taken within 24 hours of the onset of symptoms. Taking zinc with food may reduce side effects, including a bad taste and nausea.

Intranasal zinc may result in permanent damage to the sense of smell. The FDA has issued a warning against using three zinc-containing nasal cold remedies because they had been associated with a long-lasting or permanent loss of smell (anosmia).

And

Is zinc a safe cold remedy?

The effectiveness of zinc as a cold remedy relies on frequent dosing during the illness. Short-term use of zinc -- less than five days -- has not lead to serious side effects but can cause mouth irritation, a metallic taste, and stomach upset. Experts recommend that zinc should not be taken for more than five days. Long-term use of zinc -- for more than six weeks -- can lead to copper deficiency.

Zinc nasal sprays are known to cause a loss of the sense of smell in animals, and there have been several reports of people having decreased sense of smell or completely losing their sense of smell from zinc nasal sprays. Due to this risk of a loss of smell, many experts recommend that you avoid zinc nasal sprays completely.

Zinc supplements are not recommended for children as they are even more sensitive to zinc and develop side effects at much lower zinc levels.

Yes, zinc is necessary for optimal health and is safe to take when ingested through food sources such as seafood and eggs. But supplementing with higher doses of zinc, particularly long term, can be toxic.

What’s the bottom line on zinc and colds?

While some research has shown some benefit from zinc lozenges and nasal sprays, studies have been inconsistent and additional research is needed to see if, in fact, zinc is an effective cold remedy. Zinc’s side effects, especially when nasal sprays or gels are used, may outweigh any potential benefit, and the benefit may be minimal at best.
            Please dont advise people to take anything as much as possible. Thats harmful to people. Thats like me saying next time anyone has a headache down as much Motrins apossible regardless of dose. While it can be helpful to some people , please use common sense.

Zinc is helpful for colds and sold symptoms. But not the flu as far as body aches, fevers nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.

Water, rest, soup, vitamins (B and C) and more rest. Youll fell better, but as always, the illness needs time to run its course. It wont just go away.
            Last edited by Amina516; 03-12-2010, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Oh, ick!

Hot tea. Lots of it. Herbal, green, whichever floats your boat. But I've found hot fluids (Chicken broth is great, keep it up, btw!!) and lots of sleep is the best when you're sick. May not be 100% feasible though, if you have to work to survive.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I hope you get well soon!

Comment

Whole body hurting suggests flu. Lots of liquids. Paracetal to help regulate temperature (I think it's called tylenol over there) and sleep. You don't really have any other options that I know of - sorry, dude.

Rapscallion

Comment

I had a bad flu last month and until it turned into pneumonia I stayed relatively functional taking DayQuil when I needed to be awake and NyQuil when I didn't. NyQuil knocks you out hard and the sleep can work wonders, not to mention that it contains acetaminophen which should help with the aches and fever. Feel better soon!

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

Thank you all. I been drinking alot of fluids. Nyquil doesn't knock me out. It doesn't even faze me. I just have to high immunity to that stuff. I do have other kinds of painkillers that help for the most part. It's the sleep that I'm in and out off. Thank you all though.
                    Military Spouse Support.

Comment

You can alternate Tylenol & Advil every 4 hours for the fever & aches if one every 8 hours isn't enough. Just stick to the dosage limits, and keep in mind that Dayquil/Nyquil/etc has tylenol in it.

Comment

I'm not really allowed to use tylenol right now is all. Doctors orders.
                        Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Then avoid the Nyquil/Dayquil/multi-symptom-cold-relief-meds-in-one-pill (anything with acetaminophen). I think Advil makes one that would contain ibuprofin instead of acetaminophen.

You could alternate Advil & Aleve (but Aleve is 12 hours) or even throw in some asprin if that's ok.

Comment

Asprin is fine for some. I think Aleve was fine. Soup is so far been best for me. I'm semi concensene right now. Not so much in pain. Stomach feels good. Nice and warm.
                            Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Im glad youre able to hold down some food. Your best bet is to wrap up with a comfy blanket and (try to) sleep.

Hope you recover soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X