X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID dilemma... what to do?

Ok so here's the problem:

I have an Enhanced Drivers Licence and my Health Card as photo ID. I've used both the EDL and Health Card to gain entry to gaming establishments, to events in licensed venues and for purchases at the LCBO and convenience stores.

BUT.... the pub at my school does not accept health cards as ID, depending on who you get, there is no official policy. Legally they can accept anything other than a licence, passport, BYID or citizenship certificate at their discretion.

My EDL has a few printing errors, namely the ink was fading when it was printed. My health card looks nothing like me (photo from 4 years ago, it was issued a year ago and the photo is from the old design where they didn't care if it was on an angle and was at a different zoom level, so it gets questioned a lot)

The government won't issue me a new EDL unless I pay $10 and I have to go to an Enhanced Licence Office, the closest one is over an hour away. The health card won't be replaced for another 2 years, when it comes up for renewal, if I "lose" it the replacement uses the old photo.

Do I - a) get a BYID (age of majority card) that most people don't know what it is or b) get a passport, $90 and keep it on me, risk losing a passport if i lose it or c) pay the $10 for an EDL replacement and take 2-3 hours to do so (plus wait a month for it to arrive because they're treated differently)
    Otaku

C. Duh.

Don't lose it, and it be worth it.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Get a passport.

Never know when you might want to go to another country.

It makes crossing borders easier, and since it's a federal ID, nobody can deny it inside the country.

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I'd do b and c, myself. You're gonna want a passport someday, and if the process is anything like it is in the US, it's gonna take a while. And you're eventually going to be forced to replace the EDL, given the problems it has. It can't hurt to ask if the processing fee can be waived, since it's faded and people are reluctant to accept it.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Passports take 2 weeks, if everything goes smoothly, you need the whole 2 photos, application form, etc. but the annoying part is application and photo signed by a guarantor, and you need 2 references, etc.
          Otaku

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
            Passports take 2 weeks, if everything goes smoothly, you need the whole 2 photos, application form, etc. but the annoying part is application and photo signed by a guarantor, and you need 2 references, etc.
            Either way..it sounds like you're going to be annoyed no matter which way you choose..

I also vote for passport.

Comment

Both B and C. You never know when you might have to skip town so a passport is damn useful. But I'd never use a passport as photo ID at a bar so get the new license.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
                Do I - a) get a BYID (age of majority card) that most people don't know what it is or b) get a passport, $90 and keep it on me, risk losing a passport if i lose it or c) pay the $10 for an EDL replacement and take 2-3 hours to do so (plus wait a month for it to arrive because they're treated differently)
                The problem you have is simple. You want to drink, and your current ID's are not being accepted where you want to drink. So, unless you decide you don't want to drink at the place you want to drink at anymore, you are going to HAVE to get a new ID of some sort.

Option A sounds pretty much worthless. If most people don't know what it is, most people checking ID's won't know what it is. Which puts you right back where you started. As I said, this option is worthless.

Option B is probably your best bet. Sure, a passport is the most expensive way to go. But it is something that, if you ever, ever want to travel out of the country, you are going to absolutely need. Even if you don't have any current future plans of traveling abroad, a passport is better to have when you don't need it than to need when you don't have it. Also, as far as losing it, they have a new version of passports that are basically driver's license sized, so they fit right in your wallet, rather than the more commonly recognized small booklet style. I just saw my first one of these the other day, and while it will raise eyebrows (it sure raised mine!), it IS a valid passport, and will accomplish your goals for you.

Option C is annoying, but if you DO want to drink where you want to drink, you are going to have to suck it up, make the trip, and get a new, better, clearer EDL. And deal with the month wait.

Option D (which you didn't mention) is just get a normal driver's license, keeping your EDL for whatever purposes you have it for, but using the regular DL for drinking purposes. Also, I don't know about in Canada, but in the U.S., you can get a state-issued ID card that is not a driver's license, but is acceptable by alcohol vendors for alcohol purchases.

Personally, I think any combination of B, C, and D would be a good bet. A is pointless.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Option D (which you didn't mention) is just get a normal driver's license, keeping your EDL for whatever purposes you have it for, but using the regular DL for drinking purposes. Also, I don't know about in Canada, but in the U.S., you can get a state-issued ID card that is not a driver's license, but is acceptable by alcohol vendors for alcohol purchases.
                  The problem with that one is that you're not allowed to have more than one license at a time.

Option A was for the "I'm old enough to drink" ID. I know that they're considered government-issued ID (which the health card, for some reason, is not), but I'm not sure if everyone is going to recognise them. I'd personally go with option c. While having a passport is useful (they don't actually take the full 2 weeks if you pick your time correctly), I wouldn't want to have to carry it everywhere.

Do you actually need to go to a centre which issues the EDL to get it replaced since it's effectively damaged? I know they won't let you do it by mail, unless you're out-of-province, but you don't actually need a new one... (Service Ontario is being confusing).

Comment

I don't know much about canada land, but in the US a passport is good for 10 years. If it's the same in Canada, the cost is negligable in the long run. How long does your EDL last?
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                      Option A was for the "I'm old enough to drink" ID. I know that they're considered government-issued ID (which the health card, for some reason, is not), but I'm not sure if everyone is going to recognise them. I'd personally go with option c. While having a passport is useful (they don't actually take the full 2 weeks if you pick your time correctly), I wouldn't want to have to carry it everywhere.
                      Yup, and I asked about the ID thing at the pub today, the manager started pouring my pitcher when I walked up ^_^ he knows me now, and the cashier accepted my health card for that very reason, but explained that while legally they can take it, the agreement with the university is that they will not.
                      Do you actually need to go to a centre which issues the EDL to get it replaced since it's effectively damaged? I know they won't let you do it by mail, unless you're out-of-province, but you don't actually need a new one... (Service Ontario is being confusing).
                      Yes, I went to the normal Issuing Office by my house and they called to check, their computer wouldn't let them do a replacement, and I need to pay $10 at an EDL office, with an appointment scheduled in advance and need to take my birth certificate, EDL and another piece of ID all over again.
                      Otaku

Comment

Well at this point I think that the easiest option is to start writing your MPP to get health cards recognised as government-issued photo ID.

I think that talking to the manager was a good idea, he'll know what would work there. If he says that the staff all recognise the BYID card I think you should get it for the novelty value of it.
                        Last edited by Magpie; 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM. Reason: was more fratching than funny

Comment

Just occurred to me: if the pub won't take your licence, are you sure that the authorities will? You might need to get it re-done/get a passport, because you'd hate to be stuck at the border (or worse, the other side of the border) due to a printing mistake. Or do they just go by what the RFID chip says?

Comment

Working...
                          X