This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor waxing witlessness

We've had a crew in the store the past couple nights waxing the floors.

Protip for the floor waxers: The swamp opens promptly at 8 am every day. So it really isn't a good idea to be applying coats of wax at 7:45, as it will not dry in time. Next time plan your work so the floors are waxed and dry by opening.

Also, would it kill you guys to move all our fixtures, displays, etc back to where they were when the floors are dry? Oops, forget I asked. I already know the answer is yes.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Are you the only one here with agonizing, foor-waxing shenanigans? Because I knew it was you when I read the title.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Suddenly I have a mental image of Irv slip sliding around on shiny floors.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I tell you what, I just about did today!

I mean, the floor looked dry, but it wasn't quite dry and my foot went right out from under me. Luckily I was able to regain my balance without falling.

I don't even think they stripped off the old wax. That may be a good thing. The stripper reeks to high heaven, and it has been overused before.

One more thing: Because the wax on the floors by the checkouts, HBA and candy was still wet when we came down from break at 8:15 (yup,right before we opened they waxed an area of the floor everybody coming in the store will walk on . ), we had to go out the front doors, around the store to the vendor door, and hit the buzzer to be let in.
        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 04-21-2010, 03:32 AM.

Comment

When we get our floors waxed we are the one that have to move EVERYTHING the night of the wax and move it back the next day.

There have been many times when our dopey assistant failed to tell anybody about the wax. We get the date a month in advance and we have to call the alarm company and LP to let them know the floor wax people will be locked in our store all night. So at 15 minutes the floor wax people are walking in and I had no idea cause like I said, dopey assistant did not tell the proper people and he is the one that set the appointment. So here I am calling LP (woke him up at home) and had to call the alarm company that requires 24 hours notice.

LP had to call alarm company to tell them it was OK and all the associates had to run around moving fixtures in a half hour time. This included putting all our furniture in the stockroom.

They are supposed to be done when we get there at 7am cause we need to have time for the floor to dry and put all of the merchandise and fixtures back. Of course most of the time they are still waxing the floor at 8am

Comment

what do these guys subscribe to the Tim Taylor waxing method ie. 15 coats of wax??
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Nope. Just two. But they try to do half the store at a crack. And I don't think they've been starting on time either.

Comment

We get our store waxed maybe once, maaybe twice per year; likely only once. We're the people who move the furniture to the places we want them to go and back again in the morning. The waxers don't touch anything. It's all us.

The wax never keeps for more than two or so days anyway. Don't even bother waxing the floor directly outside the stock room. Pointless.
                SC: "Are you new or something?"
                Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

A few times we've gone slip-slidey over the overwaxed floor. At that point we stick a mat in that area.

Funnily enough, you can do the same thing with sugar.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

We just recently had our floors stripped and waxed. They do it over several days depending in the crew since they often have to work around the night crew stocking. This last time they told the Night Crew manager what days they would strip and wax what areas. So we plan ahead an move all the displays on those nights, but half the time they dis some random area and got mad stuff was in their way thy had to move.

Comment

We've got a large project coming up in the next couple weeks--an almost complete relay of domestics.

Just about everything in the department will be moving, and two gondolas will be taken down, scavenged for parts, and then stored, because we're getting all new wooden fixtures for bath coordinates.

The floor underneath the two gondolas we take down will need to be cleaned and scrubbed, so that will be another early-morning-get-in-our-way project. Unless we get the okay from corporate to have that done overnight.

(ASIDE--I hope corporate commits to using the new fixtures for a while, not like the couple bookshelf-like thingies they used for some of our towels for about 6 months and then made us store away. Those fixtures would make excellent bookcases, but they're heavy as hell.)

Comment

Working...
                      X