This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMV Raves (longish)

I've posted a couple of rants about poor quality DMV service; you know, the kind they are infamous for.

Today may change my perception of the DMV, at least in North Carolina. I got fantastic service today, from two seperate offices on the same day.

It so happens that my license expired yesterday. My tags were also up for renewal. I took off from work early to attend to it, figuring it'd take half the day. It did, but because of my mistakes. But I digress.

North Carolina does something rather stupid: you go to the DMV to get your license, take your drivers test, etc. You go to the Plate Agency to get your title and tags. North Carolina contracts that service to private vendors (2 of whom in my local area were recently shut down for shady dealings. But I digress).

The gal at the DMV was great. I had to wait about 45 minutes in line (it was busy). The gal sat me down at her station, did the eye test and made me sign the form swearing I would notify the DMV if I were ever convicted of a child sexual offense (I'm not kidding btw--they make you sign such a form now). Process took all of about 5 minutes. Time to pay. I brought a check, knowing they don't take debit/credit cards.

Gal looks at it, "Does this bank have a branch in North Carolina?" Oops. " One of my banks is Washington Mutual (now Chase).

Me: I don't think so. They got bought out by Chase. I don't know if they have a branch here.

Gal: Where do you make your deposits

Me: I have an account at the credit union, but I couldn't find my checkbook (true).

Gal: Well, I can't accept this if they don't have a branch here.

Me:

Well, the gal told me where I could find an ATM so I could pay cash.
    Me: will I have to wait in line again?

Gal: No, just come on over to my desk when you get back.

Me:

So I truck on out and get the cash to pay up. Get back, she's just finished with another customer, takes me right away and gets me squared away. Total time, 5 minutes.

So, then I head on down to the plate office to get my plates. Got lucky, no one in line (it's usually pretty busy). Guy is in a joking mood. I tell him why I'm there, and that I've misplaced the renewal notice the DMV sent me.

Guy: can't help you.
    Me: I've got my registration cards, can you use those?
    Guy: I'm just kidding you. We can do it if you just give us the tag number.
    Me: *whew!*
    Guy: Uh, oh, do see a problem. You need an inspection.
    Me: (Oh, crap. Forgot all about the inspection). OK, I'll get it an come back. By the way, I really need to use a restroom. Do you have a public one?
    Guy: Sure *points it out*
    It was locked. When I went back out, he saw me, "Hold on, I'll get the key" and let me in to use it.

So I go on out to get the inspection done. That took the most time since I decided to get an oil change while I was at it. Oops! I look at my watch and realize it is 20 minutes before the plate office closes. I get in the car and head on back, and slip in 5 minutes before closing. Thanks the gods, no line! Same guy takes me back, and 5 minutes later I've got my new registration sticker and card in hand. Yippee!

The whole process would have been a lot easier if I'd had my own act together

Anyway, thanks Ms. Bishop, and plate agency guy whose name I didn't get!
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Awesome!

My license expires in 3 weeks. Not looking forward to taking care of that since they changed things here. We have to have a ton of documents now proving we are who we say we are. I had to order my birth certificate for this. I've heard that people had to wait in line for hours before they opened the DMV on Fridays.

Comment

Can renew online in my state, which is good because the line wraps around the building at the DMVs here. The title office isn't nearly as bad, usually only half an hour wait.

As for the OP...lack of preparation on your part means awesome service on their part?

Comment

DMV = Dept for Motor Vehicles, yeah?

In the UK we have the DVLA, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority. I think they have about 4 offices across the UK. But thankfully, nobody ever needs to go to them. When its drivers license renewal time (10 yearly for photocards), you get a form from the post office and send it to them in Swansea, Wales. They dont require eye tests etc, but you must tell them if you need glasses or contacts, or if a doctor advises you not to drive.

There is a sight test done by the DSA (Driving Standards Agency) before the driving test begins. Basically they ask you to read a numberplate at a set distance away. If you can read it, pass. The DSA is responsible for driving tests, by the way. Both theory and practical.

Again, when its car tax (vehicle license) time (yearly), you either pay at the post office, do it on the DVLA website, or post the form back to them with a cheque.

The DMV sounds like an awful place!!!

Comment

It used to be a symbol of everything that is wrong with bureaucracy. Everything.

However, with the advent of computerized systems, they've done some massive improvement, streamlining the processes they have to work through and it's not the same place it once was. Especially with the things that they've put available to be dealt with over the Internet.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I haven't been to the DMV in years! If you have a good driving record here(knock wood) you can renew online. I did have the same dilemma as you Panacea, regarding registration. Had lost the registration sticker forms and went into the local courthouse/office, head hanging down, ready to take my punishment and the guy said "No problem!" and took care of my bureaucratic stuff.
            Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Working...
            X