Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reinforcements really weren't needed here.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinforcements really weren't needed here.

Sometimes, when a customer is not getting things to go their way against a cashier or manager, they will leave and then return with a handful of family members or friends to then surround their victim. Intimidation, maybe? I'm guessing so. If you do this, be aware that we are NOT intimidated and you only piss us off.

Background (I haven't been here in awhile, it's a refresher): Photo lab, nights.

A middle-aged lady finishes putting in her order at one of our self-serve kiosks. I'm running a little behind because somebody had just dropped off an order of ten rolls of film before her and wanted them in an hour.

One big problem with our kiosks is that it does not work with my work queue. Basically, the kiosks don't know how busy I am or how many orders are stacked up and will still offer the pending order to be done right away. It's around 7pm, these cameras (which I'm just starting to process) will take up to about when I promised, 8pm.

The lady is done placing her kiosk order and walks up to the counter to ask if I'll be able to actually have them SOONER than what she selected. I walk over to the work queue and see that my trustworthy kiosk told her I would be able to have this order of 147 prints done in twenty five minutes. Well, I'm in the middle of running film and I wasn't going to stop now.

I explain nicely that the promise time she chose was unfortunately tentative and I would need a little more time than that.

She did a half ass frown and said that it was ok. She leaves and I think that's the last of it. So, I go back and continue to run film.

A few minutes later, she comes back and behind her are five male family members, I'm guessing three sons, the husband, and her father given the age and appearance of them. The husband walks up to my counter and speaks in that 'between the regular voice and a yell' tone.

"Hey!"

Me: "Hey. What's up?"
    Him: "She (pointing to wife) told me that this is gonna take longer than the time on here." (he was holding the claim slip the kiosk printed)
    Me: "Oh, yeah, I just took in a bunch of cameras and they are due right away, but her order will be started after this and it won't take much longer."

The woman sighs.

Him: "Well, exactly how long IS it going to take."

At this point, all of them are in the pose that I absolutely hate. Their arms are crossed and they're staring me down. Such the tough guy, he needs 5 other people to back him when talking to a guy who's half his age. The old guy (her father) is shaking his head after everything I say and the rat little bastard kids are staring at me as if I had a huge zit on my nose.

Me: "Since I only have two more cameras to go, it'll be able another twenty minutes.
    Him: "Are you sure? You already weren't sure once."
    Me: "The kiosk wasn't sure, sir. I am sure that it will take about twenty minutes."

So, I walk back to finish the rolls and process the kiosk order. The entire time, the family stared at me with their arms crossed. I wasn't intimidated, I went to the restroom once and went into the office to grab my Gatorade that I was drinking throughout the day. No matter where I went, their eyes followed and their heads turned. I thought about running circles to see if they would perform an Exorcist kind of thing.

Now, the order is done, and I'm thinking that I'll ring them up and they'll be out of here.

Woman: "Do we get a discount?"
    Me: "For what?"
    Woman: "Well, you made us wait a bit longer."

If I AM late on an order that I had ample time to finish, I almost always call a manager and talk about giving them a cut. However, times like these, where the kiosk screws me? No dice. Management told me specifically as well, yet they can't call our techs to give us the almighty password to change the promise time setting.

After I say no and explain why, the husband scoffs and shakes his head at me. The other four are heading towards the door.

Something about how the woman grabbed the receipt, said nothing to me afterward and stomped out the front door told me that they weren't coming back.

Good.
    In the slot machine of life, I am the WILD symbol.

Yes, good riddance! Bleh. I hate people like that! Stupid EWs.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Oooh, you should've tried to upsell them something.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Reinforcements? Oh gosh, please don't tell me this is a common occurance.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          Reinforcements? Oh gosh, please don't tell me this is a common occurance.
          Hell yes. I have seen it several times when doing the film kiosk thing, or the prescription pick up thing.

I personally wish the kiosks wouldnt pick a time the same day. I swear, the kiosks should be a 24 hour thing.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

You know what they say-patience is a virtue.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
              You know what they say-patience is a vulture.
              Fixed that for ya

Seriously, they were having a fit over that? An extra 20 minutes?? I would've wondered off for a cup of joe and a cookie and enjoyed the time to relax!
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                You know what they say-patience is a virtue.
                Not right now it isn't!
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  Hell yes. I have seen it several times when doing the film kiosk thing, or the prescription pick up thing.
                  Or the returns thing, or the computer repair thing, or any kind of major purchase that some talking head on TV said should be haggle-able when the item is already priced below company cost, or when something is out-of-stock... The list goes on and on.
                  I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                  - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                  - IPF

Comment

Quoth TonyF View Post

Something about how the woman grabbed the receipt, said nothing to me afterward and stomped out the front door told me that they weren't coming back.
                    Would you like some confetti and streamers to celebrate this wondrous occasion?
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----
                    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth TonyF View Post
                      Sometimes, when a customer is not getting things to go their way against a cashier or manager, they will leave and then return with a handful of family members or friends to then surround their victim. Intimidation, maybe? I'm guessing so. If you do this, be aware that we are NOT intimidated and you only piss us off.
                      Those folks are just incredible. Did they honestly think you'd be frightened by them? Like you'd be scared that they're going to start trashing the place, or you, when there's a sizeable counter between you and them, and probably a quick way to contact the police as well.

Though the kiosk should be programmed to show a bit more time.
                      Quoth TonyF View Post
                      At this point, all of them are in the pose that I absolutely hate. Their arms are crossed and they're staring me down.
                      "Hey, didn't I see that pose on a BeeGees album cover?"
                      Quoth TonyF View Post
                      The entire time, the family stared at me with their arms crossed. I wasn't intimidated, I went to the restroom once and went into the office to grab my Gatorade that I was drinking throughout the day. No matter where I went, their eyes followed and their heads turned. I thought about running circles to see if they would perform an Exorcist kind of thing.
                      That would've been funny!
                      Quoth TonyF View Post
                      Woman: "Do we get a discount?"
                      Me: "For what?"
                      Woman: "Well, you made us wait a bit longer."
                      "Nope, I'm charging you extra for bringing spectators."
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This makes my blood boil!!!

I'm far from a feminist, but it always pisses me off to no end to read these kinds of stories in which a woman goes and 'tattles' to her husband when she doesnt get the answer she wants to hear.

WTF? Seriously lady, are you five???

I'm a big girl, if I'm upset about a 20 minute wait, I will handle it myself. No need to run to a male and have him fight my battle for me.

I'm trying to picture my ex-husband's reaction if I had come out to the car and whined for him to come in and confront the photo lab person, simply because the film wasn't ready.

He'd have laughed at me. Hard.

Ugh.

Women like this are an insult and an affront to our entire gender.

Good on you for standing up to the assholes and sorry for the rant. Sore subject for me. HATE women like that!
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                          Would you like some confetti and streamers to celebrate this wondrous occasion?
                          ...by this, I just meant the occasion of them leaving, never to return. (don't we all hope!)
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Those folks are just incredible. Did they honestly think you'd be frightened by them? Like you'd be scared that they're going to start trashing the place, or you, when there's a sizeable counter between you and them, and probably a quick way to contact the police as well.
                            Actually there is a bit of logic to this (I think). As I explain to my husband (195cm/92 kg) he doesn't get as many people being jerks to him (smirking when on the left of the road, etc) because people who are immature look at his size, and go "hey, if I was that size I'd hit anyone who annoyed me". They expect you to think along those lines because they do to. If you were as immature as they were you probably would be scared. The size thing doesn't work as well on reasonable people though

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                            I'm far from a feminist, but it always pisses me off to no end to read these kinds of stories in which a woman goes and 'tattles' to her husband when she doesnt get the answer she wants to hear.
                            I do it too. More because he's the person who's there than anything else. And I have had almost no conflict resolution training. (And no, I don't intend to get it anytime soon, PM me if you need details/to call me on it). I have only once or twice picked a helper based on gender. And that was only in cases were the store had a bit of a reputation for women getting bad service.
                            Last edited by Magpie; 06-03-2010, 03:20 PM. Reason: I believed spellcheck the first time.

Comment

I seriously hate people sometimes. I would have made them wait even longer.

I, however, tend to get intimidated when people are staring at me. I should just learn not to give a shit I guess.
                              Confessions of a Cashier

Comment

Working...
                              X