X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gave in...

I SliceandDice am learning...

HOW TO KNIT!

This may not seem exciting but i learned to sew at age 7 and love sewing alot. In fact my preferred craft is hand sewing and embroidery (my embroidery skills aren't wonderful but i can embroidile (SP?)) i also can crotchet though im limited to hot pads bags and the loom work (i have a freaking awesome pink and brown hat about 3 feet long! and i want to use my small loom to make a beaded belt)

But i saw knitting things
    and they where pretty
    so i borrowed my sisters I tought my self to knit book and i have knitted a 10 stich by 7 stich patch so far. I don't know im going to do... i might make strips and sew them together into a blanket....

Yes! Come to the dark side!! We've got yarn and needles and fun stuff!!

I've found Knitting Help to be wonderfuly, well, helpful. Ravelry is also a great place to find projects.

Comment

yay! knitting is awesome! pretty soon you'll be making blankets and vests and sweaters and socks and everything you'll ever need! woo!
      If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
      ^_^

Comment

trailerpark, I'm tollbaby on Rav as well Look me up!

I highly, HIGHLY recommend Knitting for Dummies (taught me lots of nifty techniques), knittinghelp.com (awesome video demonstrations) and Debbie Bliss (my favorite designer). I also urge you to join ravelry.com.... I've met so many wonderful friends through a local knitting circle Plus, it's fun to knit with other people... the more experienced help out the newbies, etc. and it's always fun to see what everyone else is working on!
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

No, no. It's come to the dark side, we have cookies! And cashmere/silk blends *drools*.

PM me if you ever need suggestions for what to make

Comment

But no cookies near the knitting. Wouldn't want to mess up the silk/cashmere blends.

I would also suggest looking for a local knitting group, whether through Ravelry or a local yarn store. My best friends are in the local knitting group and they made me brave enough to try lace.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions on the yarn in my earlier thread. I can sub yarn in normal weights but lace freaks me out because you knit it and then block it. My favorite person at the yarn store was working and helped me find some awesome purple alpaca that is working well.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
              ... awesome purple alpaca ...
              I'm sure it's nice, but I'm picturing a Barney the dinosaur colour, and my mind boggles.

Comment

LOL and here I was picturing this lovely royal purple laceweight cotton I have at home...

You want a treat to knit with? Seacell. OMG..... It's almost orgasmic!

(milk fiber is to die for too, but hard to get my hands on in Canada)
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

congrats! IT can be very rewarding, that's for sure. ^0^

I'm mostly a hook lady myself but that's because I keep forgetting where I put away my knitted stuff so I got half finished things stored away. ~.~
                  "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

I am ADDICTED to knitting. I've made a few blankets, sweaters, many hats and scarves. My sister introduced me to knitty.com for patterns. and Knittingpatterncentral.com has TONS of free online patterns.
                    "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Here is my first bit of knitting (with a bit of crotcheting to secure it, make te strap and the awesome flower)

I made a bag for Mother my teddy bear.... ive had her since i was 3
                      dont judge me...

Comment

yay! you're first adventure in knitland has gone well!
                        lol for a second, i thought you knit the teddy and i was like "damn! i can't even knit a bear and i've been at it for years!"

and i'm moofairy on ravelry, fyi

bamboo is my fav to knit/crochet with. mmm...so organic...

^_^

Comment

so did my very jealose friend.

the bear by now is 50% sliceys hand work.
                          mother has had surgery a few times, her smile i believe is my handwork at age 14, the ears are age 10 and the sides and legs are kept intact over age 7-23.... i use to make her do the splits and dance alot....

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                            the bear by now is 50% sliceys hand work.
                            mother has had surgery a few times, her smile i believe is my handwork at age 14, the ears are age 10 and the sides and legs are kept intact over age 7-23.... i use to make her do the splits and dance alot....
                            lol! i have a bear like that. my grandmother gave flower to me when i was about...6 or so. over the years i had to stitch up most of the seams, re-stuff a little bit...never had to actually sew on an appendage, tho

^_^

Comment

the legs are all part of her bod ylike a sock monkey the ears are the only thing that ripped off.

Comment

Working...
                              X