This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Sightings from My Mom

These are relayed here by my mom. She had to stop over at the deli counter at the store to pick up some cold cuts and she spotted these two gems.

First one was an older gentleman who came up to the counter while the deli was about 5 or 6 people deep. My mom moved her cart out of his way so he could get a number ticket and wait to be called. She already had her ticket, 42 (not a joke, I did laugh a bit at it). This is important.

The worker at the counter calls out for 42, and my mom raises her ticket. So does the older gentleman. My mother couldn't believe this guy. She didn't believe that just because he got there, he was next. This was confusing the deli worker, who ended up having them both bring both tickets to the counter and looking them over, before finally deciding that it was really my mother who was next, not him. I don't know what his number really was.

Then, while she was being served this lady came up to the counter without taking a ticket and demanded to be served, barking what meats she wanted and how thick, cutting off everyone else that was waiting. She knew she didn't have a ticket. The other 6 people she cut off knew she didn't have a ticket. And thankfully the workers behind the deli knew she didn't have a ticket, because they blissfully ignored her demands and continued paying attention to those with those little pink slips of paper instead.

Again, my mother was spellbound at the audacity of this woman. I think she's finally starting to believe that these people exist. She's seen the light.

Isn't it about time for "those of us with tickets" to start being a little louder about this little factoid? Speaking in euphemistic terms, of course.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
      Isn't it about time for "those of us with tickets" to start being a little louder about this little factoid? Speaking in euphemistic terms, of course.
      I always am. It's amazing how much contempt you can infuse into your voice while maintaining a pleasant expression and calm tones. Oh, and refusing to be pushed around by jerks is very good for your self-esteem, too.

I also don't keep quiet in the express lane when someone is not just bending the 10-items-or-less, but intending to take a whole cartload of groceries through. No way am I letting that go without saying something. Besides, it's fun.
      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

I live near a Karns & the deli got rid of that ticket thing a while back. It's now "First Come-First Served".

Comment

Isn't that the whole point of tickets? To prevent arguments of who was first?
          Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X