This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roommate Dilemma

As y'all know, I have been looking to fill a room in my apartment, as one of my two roommates is leaving.

After getting very little response to my ad, I showed the apartment over the last few days to four prospectives.

The first guy was pretty much a tool. I don't need to elaborate, but suffice it to say that of the four, he is my fourth choice.

Second guy was pretty cool, but seemed a bit intense, was not sure how long he is going to be living in KW, but thinks it will be a while, and has yet to get me the three personal references I asked him for....twice. Not a good sign in my book.

Number three was a pretty laidback, cool dude, and his references were glowing. Yeah, I know, you'd be an idiot to provide references that weren't great, but everything seemed pretty on point about this guy.

Number four was a very stable, really cool chick, and her references were equally glowing. One was actually the ex-boyfriend whose place she is moving out of....if you get a glowing reference from your EX, how cool must you be?

So I am trying to decide between Number Three and Number Four, and basically they are tied. Each has one completely irrelevant factor in their favor. My friend Little Red wants me to choose Three, because I told her he would be a great guy for her to meet, and is her type. I found Four to be rather attractive myself.

But of course neither of those factors has any bearing on this decision, which is in essence a business decision, and must be treated as such. Mr. Anti-Social could give two shits, as long as they are stable, have steady jobs, and pay their shit on time. Both Three and Four give off that very vibe.

I called them both tonight, both times getting their voice mail, and basically told them that, if they were interested, it was down to the two of them. Obviously if one has procured another residence, it would make things easier.

Barring that, though, I still have to make a decision. If anyone has any suggestions on how I go about doing this, feel free to throw it my way.

Knowing my luck, though, both of them have found other places, leaving me with a guy who still has not provided me the requested references, and a tool.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Do they both have the money to pay rent?

If one doesn't, choose the other.

If they both do, then...

Quoth Jester View Post
    I found Four to be rather attractive myself.
    You have your answer.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Knowing my luck, though, both of them have found other places, leaving me with a guy who still has not provided me the requested references, and a tool.

All I can think right now is in this case... Use the tool to work the information out of the guy who hasn't provided any. If its not the right tool your not using it right

Hmmm... I'd say the good looking one too. /
      "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
      Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

The chick might have gotten a glowing ref from her ex because he wants her out of there, stat! Just playing devil's advocate
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
          Do they both have the money to pay rent?

If one doesn't, choose the other.

If they both do, then...

You have your answer.
          If they didn't have the money to pay rent, they would not even be considered, period.

As for Four being attractive, that is not a viable factor, period, nor will I allow it to be. My goal is and has to be the best possible situation for Mr. Anti-Social and myself, period. Having a good-looking roommate does not factor into that. And frankly, if she lived her, trying to get involved with her would be rather stupid. As they say, you don't shit where you eat.

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
          All I can think right now is in this case... Use the tool to work the information out of the guy who hasn't provided any. If its not the right tool your not using it right.
          Um, no, since the tool is the first candidate. He was a bit of a tool. An ass. A jerk. You know....tool.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            As they say, you don't shit where you eat.
            Or... Don't screw the crew
            Began work Aug as casual '08
            Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
            Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
            Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Flip a coin.

If you find yourself disappointed by the result, choose the other one. If you find yourself pleased by the result, choose that one.

You have a subconscious gut preference. Using a random selector can help you identify that preference.

If you don't have a subconscious preference, using a random selector gives you a result. You win either way.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Let them both know that you've shown the place to another good prospect. At that point it's a race. I know it's a little unfair, (and I'm still bitter about losing an apartment that goes below 20 in the WINTER and has a balcony because of that), but it's actually the best for you.

Let's say person 3 responds first. You want to give a good chance, so you give person 4 a week to reply. In this week, person 3 has been looking at other places (which is wise, just in case). By the time person 4 replies with "sorry about the delay, found another place, offer it to person 3", person 3 has already jumped on an opportunity which was only available right then. Result: you have no roommate.

Comment

Pick #3. Just because....

Plus, I think you'll have less drama with him than with the female.
                  Make a list of important things to do today.
                  At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                  Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                    Pick #3. Just because....

Plus, I think you'll have less drama with him than with the female.
                    Why do you think that?

The worst drama I've had has been with MALE roommates. Hetero ones, at that. Maybe because I'm pickier about my female roommates, or because the female ones have been in committed relationships and haven't given me shit over my wiling ways (in some ways, they contributed to said ways...), nor have I had to ask them to clean their crap up from the kitchen/bathroom/ceiling/corner of the TV.

I'm personally a very low-drama female. I tend to give people crap only when they really deserve it, or when I'm joking around (and everyone KNOWS I'm joking). I don't overreact to situations, preferring to get all the information before reacting. There's been some drama in my life, mostly centering around a drama-filled friend of mine and his bitch of an ex, but that's mostly because of THEM, not me. And I don't drag it home to my fiance, or my family.

Gender is not an indication of whether there will be drama. Whether or not the person is laid back, comfortable, and generally drama-free is the only indicator.

Jester, you've let them know that there's competition. Has there been any response? Are either of them upping the ante?

Comment

You are right, Kia. There are alot of drama-free females and men can be the worst drama creators ever. But this is just an opinion... of which I have millions and all are worth about as much as spit.

But the drama I was referring to, wasn't about her being female or not. It was the "coming out of a relationship, moving from the ex's place drama". I work with a bunch of people that just can't seem to survive without creating some havoc in their lives. I'm now leaning toward those people that seem to be very 'laid-back'.

Anyway... Jester met these people.. it's gonna have to be his choice. Mine's just an opinion... of which I have a million.
                      Last edited by r2cagle; 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM.
                      Make a list of important things to do today.
                      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Umm.... Red is currently Princess's roommate right? And Princess is (unwisely) moving in with the 42 yr old boyfriend right? then solution:
                        Have cute chik #3 move in w/ Red, and have guy #4 (whom you think would be great for Red) move in with you - then you don't risk dating your roommate AND you save Red this same problem in a few weeks when Princess moves out!

With Guy # 4 as a roommie, you have a easy excuse to introduce him and Red (she's your friend, and hangs out)

Oh look - simple and actually diffuses any possibility of future drama

You are welcome.
                        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Better yet, why not have Red move in with Jester.

Ding Ding Ding I think we have a winner.
                          I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                            Better yet, why not have Red move in with Jester.

Ding Ding Ding I think we have a winner.
                            I'm thinkin' Red knows better

Seriously, I like the coin flip idea.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I like the coin-flip idea as a way of dealing with life in general.
                              I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Working...
                              X