This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff To Do In Chicago

Fiance and I are going to Chicago on our honeymoon at the end of August. Anyone have any suggestions about fun stuff to do?

We're already looking at the zoo, the Art Institute, Second City, Ginos Pizza, the Navy Pier, Millennium Park, the Sears Tower and a boat tour that shows architecture. Are these fun or overrated? Where would you send tourists to have fun?

I was going to post "my exboyfriend" but you're engaged. >:[ way to ruin a good joke, TPM.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Heh, I just watched the No Reservations episode about Chicago. I think the Travel Channel lists all the places their people go to...might wanna check that out.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Not actually having been anyplace right in Chicago (just around it), I might add the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, the Museum of Science and Industry and either the Lincoln Park Zoo or the Brookfield Zoo.

Just because these are places I'd like to see if I ever make my way down there. Maybe if the high-speed train line they want to build gets built.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The Field Museum
          Adler Planitarium
          Lincoln Park Zoo
          Go see the Tribune Building, and look at all the rocks on the outside
          Garrett's Popcorn-the mini-mix is a must for sightseeing
          Petersen's Ice Cream in Oak Park

Comment

Oooooh, if you're into the paranormal, there are a couple of haunted cemeteries there, Bachelor's Grove and Resurrection! I so want to go to Chicago someday and see those!
            Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

The nice thing about Field/Shedd/Addler is that they are all right next to each other. The Museum of Science & Industry is a few miles further south. The problem... The last time I was there I spent the entire day at the Field Museum. So much to see.

Check out City Pass: http://www.citypass.com/chicago

Ride the L. Pink, Brown or Orange will give you a tour of the Loop.

The "Friendly Confines" Whether you are a Cubs fan or not, Wrigley is the best.

Rush Street - It has been some time for me. Is it still the party place?

The boats are nice, but if you really want to see the architecture, you should look into a land based tour.

Everyone wants to go to the Sears tower (As far as I am concerned, it is STILL the Sears tower ). Think about going to the Hancock. Have a cup of coffee in the observatory, then catch a horse drawn carriage.
              http://www.hancockobservatory.com/en...day_of_it.html

If you are in the Lincoln Park area, stop in at the Elks Veterans Memorial.
              http://www.elks.org/memorial

Take the Chicago eating tour:
              After trying Gino's East, you will need to try Lou Malnatie's and Pizzeria Uno. That way you know that you have had authentic Chicago Style pizza. They are still arguing over who created it.

Someone needs to recommend a good Greek and good Polish restaurants. One of those ones that have been around for 40 years.

You also need to hit a dog place. Chicago dog, drag it though the garden and an Italian Beef, Giardiniera (jar-din-air), dipped.

And you can't leave out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNSmAl7hF0
              I would suggest a late night drive. You have to start "up north from Hollywood, water on the driving side." I don't recommend a sunrise drive. You should stop and watch it from one of the parks.

Darn! I am missing home again. Enjoy your trip!
              Last edited by csquared; 07-31-2010, 01:25 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Rantsylvania 6-5000 View Post
                Oooooh, if you're into the paranormal, there are a couple of haunted cemeteries there, Bachelor's Grove and Resurrection! I so want to go to Chicago someday and see those!
                Bachelor's Grove Cemetery is nowhere near downtown and Resurrection Cemetery is out by Willowbrook, not in the city proper.

I would recommend checking out the Jazz Mart, Lou Malnati's, The State Street Macy's (old Marshall Fields), Goose Island brewpubs, the real Billy Goat Tavern over by the Tribune Tower and the shops in the Lakeview neighborhood cater to some interesting tastes. If you're especially daring, you should check out the Wiener's Circle on Clark Street (bring a thick skin and a coarse sense of humor).

Oh, and go hit up the Andersonville neighborhood for lots of Swedish goodness.
                "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  You also need to hit a dog place. Chicago dog, drag it though the garden and an Italian Beef, Giardiniera (jar-din-air), dipped.
                  Superdawg!!!!!!

Comment

What about watching a live production of "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" that is done by NPR is Chase Bank Auditorium? Might get to meet one of their famous people like Paula Poundstone.

Comment

If you're into theatre, Chicago has some of the best. I especially recommend the Steppenwolf Theatre. Don't see anything shipped in from Broadway - the local stuff is much much better.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                        I especially recommend the Steppenwolf Theatre.
                        Yes! Yes! I forgot about that one (make note for my next trip up).

TPM mentioned Second City. If you can't get ticket for the Main Stage, check out e.t.c. It is their "training stage." They do improv skits. Kind of like "Whose line is it anyway."
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                          Kind of like "Whose line is it anyway."
                          Never mention Whose Line to an actual improv artist. They get pissy about that kind of thing. But yes, Second City is also good...it tends to be a training ground for SNL.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                            check out e.t.c. It is their "training stage." They do improv skits. Kind of like "Whose line is it anyway."
                            I might go see that instead--Fiance and I got into live comedy by watching some of our friends do improv skits.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I just need to find time to fit them all in.

Comment

Consider a dim sum in Chinatown or a pig out session in Greek town, Albany Park or Lincoln Square.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X