This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hiding it from you! Mwahaha!

This one really irks me. Sometimes people will ask if we have a book, and when I show them the section where it would be and start to help them look for it, they say "Oh I checked here already." Then I guess we don't have it? Were you hoping it would magically appear if I looked for it instead? Mostly it's fine because a lot of books could feasibly be in a few different sections. It's just annoying when they follow me across the store like a sheep, and only after do I start looking for them do they decide to pipe up.

My very favorite, though, is: "Could it be mis-shelved somewhere?" Sure, why not? 99% of SC's pull books off the shelves and leave them any old place. We do a pretty good job of fixing that, but it's not 100% at any time. But if a book is mis-shelved in our store of 50,000+ books, I'm sorry but I'm not going to be helping you look for it anymore
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

They're probably hoping that they just didn't see it and you can find it for them. I only ask someone to find it for me I've already asked, been told where it should be, and still can't find it...although usually I just feel too stupid to go back and ask for more help!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      They're probably hoping that they just didn't see it and you can find it for them. I only ask someone to find it for me I've already asked, been told where it should be, and still can't find it...although usually I just feel too stupid to go back and ask for more help!
      Well, two pairs of eyes are better than one! Usually I don't mind at all to look for somebody because it's a nice break from the monotony of shelving books. I just get the impression like some people expect me to pull the book they want out of my a** ...
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Usually, if I'm asking "do you have x" after having looked, it's because I wonder if they can check their system and see if it's in inventory, or if it could be hiding in another part of the store that I didn't think to check.

This came in handy the other day when I was looking for hair dye. They didn't have the specific colour in the specific line I was looking for, but they offered to call around and see if any other stores had it in stock. Called the local stores, none of them had it, so I saved time and didn't have to go to other locations for nothing.

Comment

Well, I sure wouldn't want to read a book pulled out from someone's ass, it would just be unhygienic!
          I do the same thing about asking though, I look first, then ask. If I still cannot find it, I try to get the same person, and ask again. I also ask if they can look in inventory, but I'm normally so embarrassed at this point I thank them even if they say "No."
          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Working...
          X