X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So just...blurgh. Iz it can be hugs tiem nao? ;-;

Holycraaaaaaaaap the drama.

My grandfather is, hopefully, leaving the hospital tonight after having been there the whole week. That is, so far, the only *good* thing about this situation.

It all started about a month ago, when my grandfather was experiencing pain in his face. It reached the point of that he couldn't eat and wasn't eating because the pain was so intense. Thus, he went in to see his primary care physician, who I now officially have decided needs to have his license revoked.

Now, my grandfather had done some research about his symptoms, and did attempt to tell the doctor what he thought it was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia Did the doctor listen? No. He wrote it off as a sinus infection and sent him on his way. Well, the meds weren't helping and the pain was only getting worse.

My grandfather went to see a neurologist next. The process of getting an appointment, though, was a mess in itself. At first, they said 'Oh, we're going to see you in 2 weeks'. Meanwhile, my grandfather still can't eat, is losing dangerous amounts of weight, and is generally just getting closer and closer to death. My dad ended up having to call the neurologist and talk to the receptionist, give her the list of every symptom, and what all was wrong. The appointment was bumped up to the next day. My dad can be scary when he wants to be, without even raising his voice.

So my grandfather goes into the neurologist and guess what? Wouldja believe that his PCP was wrong and it wasn't a sinus infection? Shocking, I know. It really *was* trigeminal neuralgia. So words are exchanged between the neurologist and PCP (read: worthless piece of crap doctor) and a prescription is written up.

On Monday, my grandfather had to be rushed to the ER because his everything was dropping. Blood pressure, heart rate, he was having problems breathing. On top of that, the medication wasn't doing jack-shit for the TN. So he gets taken to the ER and has 'congestive heart failure due to the medications' added to his list of shit he has to deal with.

Right now, my dad is on the phone with one of his brothers. The whole family is pissed off about this, and there's talk of lawsuits and my dad is considering flying down to St. Pete next weekend. My sister and future brother-in-law (both physician assistants) are there right now, taking care of things and have been relaying messages back and forth.

It's just...messy. Very messy. *hides under the couch with ice cream and a small army of plushies*
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Oh firecat that is horrible! *gives so many hugs you are not sure where they are all coming from* Sometimes doctor's can be real idiots. Plus there are also those who dislike people who self diagnos so much that they will always say the patient is incorrect. Long before I was born, my dad had to have his appendix removed. He went to the doctor and told him what he thought it was. Doctor shook his head and told Dad to take something that would, if Dad had appendicitis, make Dad's appendix rupture. Dad ignored the doctor's orders. The next day his side was purple and pulsating, he goes into the doctor. Doctor takes one look at Dad and says, "Wow that looks to be one nasty case of appendicitis." Then he gave Dad the surgery.

I really hope your grandfather will be okay. He will be in my prayers.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Update- Grandfa is out of the hospital, is back home, and is on meds that *won't* royally frell with his body (hopefully). My sister just called and gave the update. Dad's been on his cellphone, talking to pretty much all of his siblings about the situation. What's pretty much established is that they are in the process of getting-together the stuff they need to sue this guy.

Also, I freaked out/impressed my sister by describing the doctor as a 'lackwit-jackass who needs to have his license revoked'.
      Last edited by firecat88; 10-09-2010, 03:48 AM.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

ok, what makes that last post funny is the Farscape reference FTW (the use of the word "frell")

But good to hear that he's doing better. And good idea on the suing part, that doctor needs to meet the
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

*hugs* I wish some of the health professionals on here were in my area, because I most here don't even bother examining any more. Everything is acid reflux or the flu. Regardless.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

*hugs and more hugs and I'll even throw in a plushie for good measure*
            That must have been scary to have happen.
            Sending lots of good thoughts to your family, and here's to making that doctor pay for doing that.
            Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
            http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

*huge hugs all 'round* Thanks, y'all. There's not much of an update right now, except that my dad was up until 1 AM talking to my sister about Grandfa's progress. Stairs are a big problem for him right now, so they're setting things up for him to be able to sleep comfortably on the first floor of the house. Dad was looking at flights last night, will probably book one within the next day or two.

Have a feeling Dad is going to give this doctor hell and more. Wish I could be there to videotape it.

Comment

This stinks. I'm so sorry your granddaddy had to go through that, and hopefully he can recover fully... or as much as an old man can.
                This is the age group that can randomly (from what I can tell) die from a broken bone. I hate it when people threaten to sue anyone, you know what happens on this forum-- but in this case, I can't see it as anything other than justified-- at least make him go back to medical school! Geezfreakin'Louise...
                HUUUUUUGGGS. (give hugs and kissez to your grandpa too, from a strange, 24-year old girl who can be classified as 'cute, if not hot,' judging from what my friends say. If he's into that sort of thing. )
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

An exboyfriend was a biologist with a masters degree from Oxford University and had studied anatomoy of the human body intensely.

One day he had a terrible pain in his neck and went to the doctor able to describe exactly where the pain was in terms we non-biologists have never heard.

The doctor told him "Quit trying to be clever boy those muscles and nerves you describe are nowhere near that area"

Exboyfriend replied "Oh I had better tell Oxford University they are teaching people wrong"

Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post

This stinks. I'm so sorry your granddaddy had to go through that, and hopefully he can recover fully... or as much as an old man can.
                    This is the age group that can randomly (from what I can tell) die from a broken bone. I hate it when people threaten to sue anyone, you know what happens on this forum-- but in this case, I can't see it as anything other than justified-- at least make him go back to medical school! Geezfreakin'Louise...
                    HUUUUUUGGGS. (give hugs and kissez to your grandpa too, from a strange, 24-year old girl who can be classified as 'cute, if not hot,' judging from what my friends say. If he's into that sort of thing. )
                    A lot of the time it isn't the broken bone that causes the death [though a bone break can throw off blood clots or bits of marrow, which can cause terrible issues if they get lodged in the wrong place] but the pneumonia and edema causing congestive heart failure as a result of being stuck in bed, the human body really does need to be upright and moving part of the day.

Hope they take that doc to the cleaners. Ineptitude in a house painter just means an ugly house, ineptitude in doctor can cripple or kill people.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

*hugs all 'round* Happy Monday, y'all.

Update- Dad's booked a flight out to Florida. His plane leaves on Wednesday. One of my uncles is probably going to be arriving there today. Again, this makes me wish I could be there to videotape what happens. This particular uncle is extremely laid back and is actually really difficult to piss off. If you do manage to piss him off, though, it's best to do it from a safe distance. Like, for example, on Mars.

Comment

Working...
                      X