This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why in HELL do people DO this????

Recently, I had a meeting on the possibility of doing some freelance work for a business. I won't divulge the nature of the work, or the company, just to make sure.

The meeting went very well. The person in charge agreed that I would do this particular work for them. I was excited! I got started right away, doing this, that, and the other thing.

I emailed the person in charge. This was last month. I sent some of the work (not finished, mind you). I heard nothing.

I sent another email recently. Nothing.

I just got an email from the person in charge.

Seems that Person In Charge was very busy with other things. Okay, this is understandable. Person In Charge then went on to tell me that they didn't think that this project really suited their business, sorry about that.

I spent HOURS working on a rough draft, because Person In Charge HAD TOLD ME TO GO AHEAD WITH THE WORK. I planned to continue with the project just as soon as I got the go-ahead. Not to mention, I NEED THE WORK! I NEED THE MONEY!

No apologies for wasting my fucking time. No "What do we owe you for the great work you've already done for us?" Nothing. Just several weeks during which I thought I was going to do this great project, improve their business (and it WOULD have improved their business, even if Person In Charge doesn't think so), and now? I don't have shit.

Contracts. That's all I can say. I have so many friends who have been bitten in the ass like that becuase they had nothing to go on but a verbal confirmation/agreement. Get it in writing.
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Yeah, true. On the other hand, there's nothing to stop me from offering this work to other companies, since this one turned it down!

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
        Yeah, true. On the other hand, there's nothing to stop me from offering this work to other companies, since this one turned it down!
        Sending the project lead an email to that extent might force them to pay for the material anyways? Or is it not job specific enough?

Comment

I hadn't thought of that. I'm so disgusted with Person In Charge's email and general lack of forethought, that I don't think I owe it to them.

Comment

Sometimes they dont realise what theyve done.

A simple
            "Project Lead:

I am sorry that you do not feel that my work will aide your business. Since you did not pay me for my work, i will be forced to offer it to your competition. Please note that any more work done through my company will be on a strict contract basis, to prevent any more lost time on my part

- You"

Comment

I'm not sure they'd care. Really. They're worried that the work I was doing would cost them business - I don't believe that it would, but they don't see it that way, and they're the ones making the decisions.

I must admit, I'd love to see their faces if the competition DOES buy it, and makes a raging success out of it!

Comment

I finally started doing an accurate quote (with some instructions about "changes" to the original spec and what they might entail) and taking a deposit.

No deposit? No work for you! Works wonders with situations like this.

I was really afraid it would hurt my total income and bottom line, but if anything I'm now spending MUCH less time on useless projects... once I explain the process (you spec job, I quote job, you deposit funds, I begin work...) most of the "Oh, I've changed my mind" folks walk away from the first phone conversation.
                “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Comment

So hold on, did you go to them, or did they come to you?

How do you get the ol' freelance ball rolling anyway?

Comment

I went to them, having had previous contact with the company. I had never met Person In Charge before. Silly me! I thought that "Go ahead with the work" meant "Go ahead with the work", not "Do most of the work, then wait for a month until I pull my head out of my ass and decline your offer."

Comment

Seriously, send the email...then contact their competition. Show them what you have. Hint that the original place is looking at it (their competition)..never know what you might end up with out of it.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I'm not sending any more emails to the first company. Person In Charge wasted my time, didn't answer my emails much earlier (and could have; it only takes a few minutes to do), said yes and then backpedaled, and finally, weeks later, told me "I've changed my mind."

I did think of emailing Person In Charge to ask about doing a modified version of this work, which would still be a great idea, and would make money for the company. Then I thought, forget it. I'd probably end up waiting several more weeks, only to hear, "No, thanks."

I'm concentrating on other companies now.

Comment

I just got an email from Other Person in the company, apologizing for the fact that this job won't be done. The email gave in-depth reasons for this decision, so now, at least, I can see why it was made. None of this excuses the fact that I was allowed to do the work, of course. Other Person was sorry to email me about it, since I was so enthusiastic about the project, and said that if I had other ideas, I could give them.

However, given the reasons stated in the email, I don't know if I can come up with anything that would really work. It's clear that they agreed to have me do the work BEFORE checking to see how feasible it was for their company. I don't like that.

I feel very slightly better than I did. But only very slightly.

Comment

Consider informing Other Person of the work you did (# hours, etc) on the basis of PIC's 'Go ahead'.

Just .. slipping it into conversation. Or perhaps writing it on a 2 by 4.

You never know, you might get some payment.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Since Other Person did encourage me to give ideas, I'll do so, when I'm calmer. I will, however, state that I will have to have a signed contract AND a deposit before I do any work, since I put in so many hours on the previous project, only to get nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X