Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook Leech part II: The New Challenger.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Leech part II: The New Challenger.

There really needs to be a icon available. This thread deserves one because I was so evil. And cunning. In fact, I'm quite proud of myself here.

I haven't seen the original Facebook Leech since I posted that last topic. That topic did inspire me to devise a plan in case I saw her again. No, it had nothing to do with redirecting them to websites. I'm not that tech savy, but I had a more direct solution that I wanted to try. Tonight I got to try such a plan with a new contender.

Since before I got here, there was a lady just chilling on one of the lobby computers. I figured she was a guest, but since she started spending at least 4 hours straight, I'd need to test my plan.

In our server room, we have 3 seperate routers. One that controls both the workstations. We need this up and running to process CC's and to be able to post my stories from work. We have one router for the manager's computer. We also have a third for all guest internet.

I unplugged the third router. Cue Facebook Leech in 3...2...1...

FBL: Is there a problem with the internet.
    Me: I wasn't aware of a problem. What's it doing?
    FBL: It's not letting me connect to the internet.
    Me: I'm sorry to hear that's happening. Let me see if I can investigate the problem. What room are you in so I can get back to you?
    FBL: Actually I'm not in a room. I just need to use the computer for a little bit.

4 hours is not a "little bit!"

Me: I'm sorry, but to use these computers you need to be a registerred guest. I still have rooms available if you'd like.
    FBL: No, that's ok. I wouldn't be able to stay for very long if I got a room at this time.

I leave the router unplugged. I wait for her to leave before I plug it back in.
    Last edited by Mr Hero; 10-24-2010, 08:52 AM.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Beautiful. Just absoutely beautiful *golf clap*
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

It might not have been as much fun as re-routing her to some websites, but it sure was effective. Well done.

Comment

This is better than rerouting to websites, because it completely solves the problem. Now when you see known computer abusers, you can automatically ask if they'd be checking into a room for the privilege of internet.

For that matter, it'd be nice if the hotel would let you post a sign saying that users will be asked for a valid room number/name for identification and that computer use was for guests only. But hey, that's just me.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

but bainsidhe. that would make sense.

and we all know the rule about making sense...

Mr. Hero, that was beautifully done!

Comment

Wonderfully done!

My suggestion that might help permanently, since there are time that you won't be able to unplug the router... such as during the day when more people would notice... is to put a password on that computer. If someone needs to use the computer, they can come up to the desk, show ID and let you know what room they're in. Or get the password when they check in.
            "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

that was spectacularly awesome; not only caught in the act of leeching but forced to admit to her bottomfeedery. well done, master hero!
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Wenchie View Post
                Wonderfully done!

My suggestion that might help permanently, since there are time that you won't be able to unplug the router... such as during the day when more people would notice... is to put a password on that computer. If someone needs to use the computer, they can come up to the desk, show ID and let you know what room they're in. Or get the password when they check in.
                I suggested this idea at our last staff meeting. You know how XP has that welcome screen where you can change between Admin and Guest? My suggestion was to lock the Guest account with a password, and then provide it for guests included with info about breakfast times and whatnot.

What we currently have is the browser automatically routes you to a login page where you type in the info. Problem is, that login status lasts 24 hours. On a guest's personal laptop that's no problem, but on the lobby computers, that's open to a lot of abuse.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  I suggested this idea at our last staff meeting. You know how XP has that welcome screen where you can change between Admin and Guest? My suggestion was to lock the Guest account with a password, and then provide it for guests included with info about breakfast times and whatnot.

What we currently have is the browser automatically routes you to a login page where you type in the info. Problem is, that login status lasts 24 hours. On a guest's personal laptop that's no problem, but on the lobby computers, that's open to a lot of abuse.
                  Exactly. And you'll just have to make sure that it's set to automatically log them out after they're idle. Or else put a password on the screensaver.
                  "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth Wenchie View Post
                    Exactly. And you'll just have to make sure that it's set to automatically log them out after they're idle. Or else put a password on the screensaver.
                    Manually logging out would be the best option. I wouldn't want to get in trouble with my supervisors if I set a password on the screensaver.

Don't get me wrong. They totally support getting rid of the moochers. They just feel putting passwords on the computer isn't the proper way.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      Manually logging out would be the best option. I wouldn't want to get in trouble with my supervisors if I set a password on the screensaver.

Don't get me wrong. They totally support getting rid of the moochers. They just feel putting passwords on the computer isn't the proper way.
                      Manually logging them out means that every time someone stops using the computer, you have to get up and manually log that computer out. You should be able to set it where if they are inactive for a certain amt of time they have to log back in.... automatic log outs are better than manually if XP allows that.

Comment

Bra-vo!
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I went to a hotel in Florida where without a room key, you couldn't get IN the business center to use the computer. I'm beginning to see why.
                          Nicely done

Comment

Working...
                          X