This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave English Alone!

Little slow with the stat holiday. Plus I find myself annoyingly stuck with several calls I cannot describe to you as they would reveal my clients. This saddens me. -.-

Wild

Me: “In what city?”
    SC: “Keremeos”
    Me: “Al-“
    SC: “We’re the fruit stand capital of Canada!”

Really. Fascinating. You must be so proud. Admittedly “fruit stand” wasn’t what came to mind when I heard the name. “Pokemon” on the other hand. Still, fruit stand capital, eh? Must be a wild and crazy place up there. Fruit is synomous with par-tay you know. I'm amazed you dragged yourself away from snorting raisins off a hookers chest long enough to call.

Anonymous Tips

Thank you, I now know everything there is to know about your upstairs neighbours. I know that they “don’t seem to know its 2 in the morning”. I know they talk loudly. I know they like to hang out on their balcony. I know they smoke. I know they are making too much noise. I know they are in suite 204.

What I don’t know, ironically, is absolutely anything about you. As you simply hung up without providing me with a name, number, or perhaps most importantly, an address so that I might know where all of these tragic events are taking place. Even if I was so inclined to intervene, I do not even have a rough location of where these obviously heinous crimes are being committed.

LEAVE ENGLISH ALONE

Ok, that’s it. After years of wanton suffering at your greasy, simian paws it’s time to lay down some ground rules. Some guidelines for the abuse I endure if I am to continue to enable your stunning lack of fashion sense. But let us start with the first and more fundamental rule: If your name contains more than five of the same letter then you are not allowed to order from me ever again. No, I don’t care if it’s really your legal name. Five is the limit. Three if the letter is “Q”. You can shorten it to a nickname, or you can walk away sad and pantless.

Come now GK, you say. Aren’t you being a bit too harsh? No, I say! I had a caller this evening with six O’s in her name. SIX. O’S. If you have six O’s in your name you need to shorten just as a courtesy to friends and customer service representatives. Who should not have to jam a finger down their throat to pronounce it correctly. It didn’t even need six O’s, there were at least three auxiliary O’s. Someone is adding more O’s just for the hell of having more O’s. I do not know who this person is, but I am not a cruel man. I will offer them amnesty. But only if they turn themselves in immediately and provide us with any information they can that may lead us to finding and stopping the guy handing out the extra Q’s.

He’s the real criminal.

Anonymous Tips 2

Oh! Hello again. I was just pondering what I was going to do with the total absence of information you provided me. It is most fortunate that you have once again called to grumpily complain. I shall be sure to send a gift basket to the squirming rodent lodged up your backside later to show my appreciation.

Now, if I can just get some information fr-oh you say they’re in 206? Not 204? Ok, well, can I just get y-annnd you hung up again.

Ominous

Me: “And is there any time you’d like them to call?”
    SC: “Today.”

….I fear I am about to become the bearer of bad news. But the tone in your voice makes me afraid to admit it. I have no wish to die over aluminium siding. I always pictured my death being a tad more glorious or at the very least somewhat more amusing. Really, I’m aiming for a Fark.com headline if at all possible.

How The Internet Works

SC: “Do you have parts fer a Kawasaki 4 wheelers?”
    Me: “I think you have the wrong number.”
    SC: “I have the wrong number?”
    Me: “Yes”
    SC: “What is this?”
    Me: “This is <domain registrant company>”
    SC: “Who?”
    Me: “We buy & sell domain names on the internet.”
    SC: “This isn’t <url that vaguely sounds like bikes are involved>?”
    Me: “We may own that domain, but we don’t have anything to do with bike parts.”
    SC: “……uh, wha?”
    Me: “We may own the name of the website, and we’re selling it. But we don’t have anything to do with bike parts.”
    SC: “But I went to <url> on the computer, n’ it gave me dis number.”

You know, at no point in human history has there ever been anything with such a massive gap between using and understanding as the Internet. The term “user friendly” is a plague upon human evolution and is slowly eroding us as a species. Computers and the Internet do not need to be made easier. It leads to people like this. People who actually think there’s a Nigerian prince somewhere that wants to give them 10 million dollars. If only they would fork over all of their banking information. Which they will happily do. Right after they finish forwarding this amazing email full of adorable animals to every single person they know on Earth that they have an email address for.

The Internet should be hard to access. To ensure only those capable of grasping the wonders and terrors within may reach it.. You should have to solve some sort of riddle or puzzle before it will even connect. Something that involves math or a sundial or something. That will permit you on the Internet for 24 hours before you have to solve another one. If you want permanent access you have to sit down and play all the way through Myst.

Oh, you laugh. But mark my words. Someday the geek shall inherit the Earth. And these laws will be standard.

Me: “We own the domain name itself, and we’re selling it. That’s why our number comes up.”

You know, along with the message "This domain name is for sale by <company>, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx for inquiries". Which you somehow read and interpreted as "We have bike parts". Despite there being absolutely nothing on the webpage that any way indicates we have or can provide anything related to bikes. Not even a picture of a bike. Just that message.

SC: “Ok….but you don’t sell no 4 wheeler parts?”
    Me: “No, we don’t”
    SC: “Do you know any place that does?”

……Perhaps we should devise a similar test before you’re allowed to dial a phone too.

Hot Tips

SC: “Hi, my name is Vick."

Sigh. Really, boy. How are you not committed yet?

SC: “I have information stuck in my head, and I don’t know how to get it out.”

Try a fork. It would solve both of our problems.

Hot Tips

“Yes, hi. It’s Vick again. I got cut off.”

Yes, I seem to have mistakenly mashed F4 ( the disconnect key ) with as much force as I could muster and hung up on you. I’m not sure exactly how it happened. But I assure you it was completely by mistake and I beg your humble forgiveness. It won’t happen again. Please, continue.

SC: “As I was s-“

Dammit! I’m sorry, my finger is just so fat and heavy I can’t seem to keep it over my keyboard without dropping it. And it just seems to land on F4 every time. It’s the damnedest thing.

Amazing!

Me: “Are you calling to place an order?”
    SC: “ya.”
    Me: “A-“
    SC: “It would be a’ cap!”

No, really? A cap you say? Why no one has ever called at this godforsaken hour and ordered a hat before! Next you’ll tell me you want to order pants. Also, congratulations for spending $30 on a hat. But $54.50 on shipping and tax.

Intermediary

Over the course of this excruciatingly long call I have made several observations. Which I would like to share with you, the caller, so that in the future you may make some effort to avoid these pitfalls. Thus making both of our lives easier.

First of all, if you’re going to be the one talking and placing the order please ensure you are also the one actually holding the catalog. Your constant need to consult with someone else in the background regarding the contents of the catalog is magnifying the length of this call in an alarming and completely unnecessary fashion. As is your need to consult with them about every single product number of the order as well as the size and colour of each product.

Really, you have nothing to do with this call whatsoever but for some reason Background Monkey is insisting on communicating through you. Why this is, I do not know. You have the intellect, verbal skills and vocabulary of a wet dish towel. You’re not exactly the first candidate I would choose as my intermediary. This call would go much faster if she spoke to me directly through an actual wet dish towel.

Passtimes

Me: “Are you calling to place an order?”
    SC: “uh, bala da do see TABLE?!”
    Me: “….excuse me?”
    SC: “Huhuhuh, it’s dirty! Hello!”
    Me: “….hi?”
    SC: “Can I like to order place?”

You are way too stoned to be making financial decisions right now. Though I find myself alarmed and confused that “Getting high and ordering pants” is what actually qualifies as entertainment up there these days.

( She ended up ordering $800 worth too.... )

Anonymous Tip 3

SC: “Yeah, I’m calling from 106 again at <building>.”

Oh, hello again! Yes, I believe I spoke with you the other day! About the smokers in unit 206, right? Wow, 106 at <building>. You actually gave me information this time! Some, anyway. Not enough, granted. But it’s a start! We’re making progress! Yay!

SC: “206 has a god damn problem. If you people can’t get them under control I will phone the god damn police!!”

O-kay. Right, not helpful information but ok, you haven’t hung up on me yet. So that’s something at least. I’m not sure I appreciate the yelling. But at least you’re still communicating!

Me: “Alright, I’m afraid there isn’t much I can do about them this early but I can-“
    SC: “WELL YOU CAN DROP DEAD THEN!! <click>”

Alright then. Though I should perhaps point out that while you did not grace me with a name and number this time, you were kind enough to tell me where you live and in what suite before you screamed at me to drop dead. If you really must insist on abusing employees at the afterhours service perhaps you should do so before you give us enough indentifying information to leave a note for the property owner.

Just a thought.

Stop, Stop! It's Already Dead!

SC: “N for Mildred. A for Australia. H for Uncle. A for Australia. N for Mildred. P for Perrin. E for Australia. R for Thailand.”

….wha-what? I don’t even….ok, let’s try this again.

SC: “N for Mildred. A for Australia. H for Hong Kong. A for Australia. N for Mildred. P for Jello. E for Australia. R for Red.”

...I....the...ok, one more time. I'm ready this time. Go ahead. Lay it on me. I can take it.

SC: “N for Mildred. A for Australia. H for Hong Kong. A for Australia. N for Mildred. P for Jello. E for Australia. Way for Kilo.”

....no I can't, I am now even more confused.

Me: “What was that?”
    SC: “Way for Halo.”
    Me: “....Way?”
    SC: “Way. You know, way? For Nicaragua?”
    Me: “…I don’t understand sorry?”
    SC: “Way way, the letter before Zed.”
    Me: “Y?”
    SC: “Yes.”

Ok, enough. I’m leaving. I don’t know what English did to you or your family, but I cannot in good conscience sit here and watch you do this too it. You sir, are a monster.

annnnnd rest.
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 11-15-2010, 02:09 PM.

I was giving a vision test at the DMV last week, and one customer was reading letters we didn't know we had. Finally, we figured out that English was not her first language, and she didn't know the names of the letters. Zed =/= Z, which is what we commonly hear, but Zed = O, as in she thought it was a zero, and Zed is what you call zero.

First vision test I have ever given which lasted 5 minutes, only because I was concerned not about her vision, but about her grasp of reality.
    To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
    To pursue it with forks and hope;
    To threaten its life with a railway share;
    To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
      SC: “Keremeos”
      Me: “Al-“
      SC: “We’re the fruit stand capital of Canada!”
      Wow. Just... wow. Do they have guided tours there (that people can call you to book)?
      I had a caller this evening with six O’s in her name. SIX. O’S.
      Honestly I can't even start figuring how it can... oh, wait.
      No, I can't.
      If you want permanent access you have to sit down and play all the way through Myst.
      DARN! I'm banned!
      Me: “We own the domain name itself, and we’re selling it. That’s why our number comes up.”
      SC: “Ok….but you don’t sell no 4 wheeler parts?”
      Me: “No, we don’t”
      SC: “Do you know any place that does?”
      ...and who doesn't...
      SC: “206 has a god damn problem. If you people can’t get them under control I will phone the god damn police!!”
      Me: “Alright, I’m afraid there isn’t much I can do about them this early but I can-“
      SC: “WELL YOU CAN DROP DEAD THEN!! <click>”
      ...that's interesting. He won your favours in eternal, didn't he? You will PERSONALLY go talk to the people in 206, won't you?
      SC: “N for Mildred. A for Australia. H for Uncle. A for Australia. N for Mildred. P for Perrin. E for Australia. R for Thailand.”
      SC: “N for Mildred. A for Australia. H for Hong Kong. A for Australia. N for Mildred. P for Jello. E for Australia. R for Red.”
      SC: “N for Mildred. A for Australia. H for Hong Kong. A for Australia. N for Mildred. P for Jello. E for Australia. Way for Kilo.”
      And my comment to this is as follows:
      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Not a person's name, but I feel that I should mention that the name of the town I was born in is Oconomowoc.

<snip>
        <snip>

<snip>

That was beyond painful. My brain died.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I've had an idea for a while now for a simple way to remove the, shall we say "technologically disadvantaged", from teh interwebs.

Make it illegal for companies to offer tech support for setting up modems/routers. All a customer gets is the equipment and a disc with a PDF manual. If they can't work it out for themselves, they can't get online.

"Oh silly Bunny!" I hear you cry. "What if they get their tech savvy friend/relation/neighbour to set it up for them?". Simple, in that case the friend/whatever has to submit their personal details and agree to become their 24/7 tech support hotline.

Oh and once we have their address? We unleash the homing bees. Some may think it harsh, but they only have themselves to blame.

Comment

The crazy has landed and it's right up there with you, isn't it, you poor soul? (hands over cookies....cuccidati (Italian fig cookies, if you're not familiar with these)...toooo delicious.

Especially the spelling one. What the hell does Y have to do with Nicaragua, anyway....Never mind. Why is it most of your customers are stoned?? What are they smoking up there?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I.. Wow. Ouch Grave.

Comment

http://www.phespirit.info/cockney/alphabet.htm

I really don't know what else to call it... I think wikipedia list it as the surrealist alphabet, but you have to get his down on paper - that's the best I've seen yet

Comment

sir, you fail at using the phonetic alphabet; review your materials and feel free to call us when you actually understand them.

he was never to plague your phonelines again.

ow. the pain from the stupid/crazy is almost unbearable...almost.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

A as in Fonzie.
                    B as in Arthur.
                    C as in Moses.
                    D as in Just Barely Passing.
                    E as in Whoops!
                    F as in You.
                    G as in Whiz.
                    H as in Lieutenant Caine.
                    I as in Optometrist.
                    J as in Dyn-o-MITE!
                    K as in Jeweler.
                    L as in Eck.
                    M as in Candy.
                    N as in Compass.
                    O as in Yeah.
                    P as in Drug Test.
                    Q as in Line.
                    R as in We is.
                    S as in Windy Road.
                    T as in Crumpets.
                    U as in Miami.
                    V as in Neck.
                    W as in Better Than a Loss.
                    X as in Former.
                    Y as in Not.
                    Z as in Nissan.

Sure, the above is all silly. The scary thing is, they all make far more sense than the ones used by GK's caller.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

LEAVE ENGLISH ALONE

Ok, that’s it. After years of wanton suffering at your greasy, simian paws it’s time to lay down some ground rules. Some guidelines for the abuse I endure if I am to continue to enable your stunning lack of fashion sense. But let us start with the first and more fundamental rule: If your name contains more than five of the same letter then you are not allowed to order from me ever again. No, I don’t care if it’s really your legal name. Five is the limit. Three if the letter is “Q”. You can shorten it to a nickname, or you can walk away sad and pantless.

Come now GK, you say. Aren’t you being a bit too harsh? No, I say! I had a caller this evening with six O’s in her name. SIX. O’S. If you have six O’s in your name you need to shorten just as a courtesy to friends and customer service representatives. Who should not have to jam a finger down their throat to pronounce it correctly. It didn’t even need six O’s, there were at least three auxiliary O’s. Someone is adding more O’s just for the hell of having more O’s. I do not know who this person is, but I am not a cruel man. I will offer them amnesty. But only if they turn themselves in immediately and provide us with any information they can that may lead us to finding and stopping the guy handing out the extra Q’s.

He’s the real criminal.
                      What about the name, Brivolbn7q? And why did I imagine you shouting "Leave English Alone!" in the style of Chris Crocker? Let me also point out that I find it highly ironic that you're the one ranting about adding unnecesary letters.

How The Internet Works

The Internet should be hard to access. To ensure only those capable of grasping the wonders and terrors within may reach it.. You should have to solve some sort of riddle or puzzle before it will even connect. Something that involves math or a sundial or something. That will permit you on the Internet for 24 hours before you have to solve another one. If you want permanent access you have to sit down and play all the way through Myst.
                      Would the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time be an acceptable substitute?
                      Last edited by Mr Hero; 11-15-2010, 09:27 PM.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

...and how fucking dare you mangle the English language, after all it's been through?!

LEAVE ENGLISH ALONE!
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          A as in Fonzie.
                          B as in Arthur.
                          C as in Moses.
                          D as in Just Barely Passing.
                          E as in Whoops!
                          F as in You.
                          G as in Whiz.
                          H as in Lieutenant Caine.
                          I as in Optometrist.
                          J as in Dyn-o-MITE!
                          K as in Jeweler.
                          L as in Eck.
                          M as in Candy.
                          N as in Compass.
                          O as in Yeah.
                          P as in Drug Test.
                          Q as in Line.
                          R as in We is.
                          S as in Windy Road.
                          T as in Crumpets.
                          U as in Miami.
                          V as in Neck.
                          W as in Better Than a Loss.
                          X as in Former.
                          Y as in Not.
                          Z as in Nissan.

Sure, the above is all silly. The scary thing is, they all make far more sense than the ones used by GK's caller.
                          Here's my preferred method. Cookies for reference.
                          I is for Imagine
                          M is for Me
                          A is for the letter A
                          G is for Gee
                          I is for Imagine
                          N is for Nice
                          E is for Egad! I said Imagine twice!
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

LEAVE ENGLISH ALONE

He’s the real criminal.
                            See, now this scares me. I have five E's in my name, and my first and middle name are quite normal. My younger child has five L's in hers, and none of her names would at all make someone scratch his or her head.

Or did you mean six O's in the same name?

I'm just concerned that because my parents were E-heavy with me, and because my daughter's middle name is Lillian that I'm pushing close to the edge of Gravekeeper's Vault of Idiocy.
                            Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Quoth LingualMonkey View Post
                              Or did you mean six O's in the same name?
                              [/I]
                              Six in the same name, yes. Spread out would have been fine. But there were 6 O's in the same name.

Quoth Mr Hero
                              Would the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time be an acceptable substitute?
                              ....I think that would actually get you permanent access and the first 6 months free. ( Fscking water temple. >.> )

I get so many calls like that on that line though. People just can't grasp that the name of a website could possibly have nothing to do with the contents of the website. It happens all the time since we got that client. Bike parts, sex toys, travel insurance, passport renewal.....hell, I had one guy yelling at me because I couldn't help him renew his unemployment insurance.

Apparently he just typed in unemploymentrenewal.com or something and figured it MUST be for HIS insurance because, well, look at the title!

Ugh.

And the damn history of tupperware thing is still haunting me. But if I talked about it any more it would be identified. >.>

Comment

Working...
                              X