This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me, what? (long and ranty)

Tonight I had the pleasure of dealing with our neighbor who's been rather questionable in the past - I've called his wife the "clown lady" (though not to her face) because of the make up she wears, and the guy is..well..anyway..

Neighbor comes over to ask around maybe 5:30 or so my time to ask if our kitchen sink is backed up. Now before he'd come over, there was a weird noise that I'd originally attributed to the cats, because they do get into stuff and I figured one of them was using the litter box. It wasn't until he came over that I realized "hey, they don't burble when they use the box". It's been a long week.

I see that there's a back up in the sink. So I run the disposal. No luck, the water comes back up. They say they've got the same problem. Now herein lies the problem. He goes from "hey we've got a problem" to "okay so who's going to pay for it".

You see, a year or so ago, DDD caused a back up that necessitated RotoRooter to come out. They do, fix the problem and we pay for it and are more careful about what we do. A little less than a month ago we got a new disposal because the one we had finally went. It's been working like a charm and probably the most we've put down it has been egg shells. Nothing bad like grease or other stuff. We learned our lesson on that one.

Anyway..I tell neighbor that I'd have to talk to DDD and have him talk to the neighbor about this. He looks a little upset and says "Oh, I see, so he wouldn't pay for it?" No, I didn't say that. I said he'd have to talk to DDD. Meanwhile, I've called DDD, and I've been blowing up his cell phone with texts.

About 7pm or so, RotoRooter comes by and the guy wants to look at our sink. I say, like I said to the neighbor earlier, the last time we used the sink was Monday when I drained some ramen, and the tech does not see me pointing to the colander. He turns around and says "Well, that's the problem. It's your fault."

That had me seeing red and I kicked not only the neighbor who had come in but the tech out of our house. I was not about to have someone who was so unprofessional as to listen to me and even really think it through to say that it was our fault. Water is burbling into OUR sink, not the other way around. We didn't do anything wrong.

I was so mad and seeing red that I had to call my sister to rant. DDD gets home a little bit later and he goes to talk to the neighbor who tells him that the guy left because his ladder wasn't tall enough to get him onto the roof as we apparently have stacks vents. Someone is supposed to return tomorrow to drop a snake and I think then that'll determine who is at fault.
    We managed to get the name of the tech and I called and put in a complaint. I was livid and probably an SC, but dammit, I'm being attacked blindly and being blamed for something I know we didn't do, not to mention that they tech was very unprofessional in making the assumptions without getting all the facts. Our neighbor also told him that he didn't believe that just water would cause this. The water coming up is icky, smelly and has crud in it, as well as what looks like dirt.

I am more than ready to admit that if we'd done something, we would foot the bill for it, but since I am more than 99% certain it's not us, I'm not about to pay for something that I didn't break to begin with. I am certain that we may end up having to pay half just to keep the peace. Honestly, and maybe I'm wrong, but if someone comes to me with a problem that they've discovered, how is it that suddenly my fault?

If you've made it through this whole diatribe then you're braver than I thought.
    Last edited by fma_fanatic; 11-25-2010, 05:04 AM.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

It would be less confusing if I know who or what DDD meant?
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Is this an apartment complex or a duplex or something like that?

Once last spring and once last summer (about three months apart) my kitchen sink backed up with some ungodly whitish brownish curdled liquid that smelled like rotten milk.

I don't know if it happened to any of my neighbors or what caused it. I just bought some Drano and that took care of the clog, but then I had to find something to get rid of the smell, because both times it had been there for several hours, once while I was asleep and the other while I was at the gym and running errands.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
        I suspect DaDairyDruid. That cat is at the top of every Wanted! poster.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That's horrible. I see your neighbor is a putz who deserved to have his ass kicked out of your house.

We had years ago just moved into a very nice apt. and I had picked out furniture that matched the carpet. Well after the furniture is delivered and set up, during the night when everyone was sleeping every single sink, toilet and bathtub had a huge amount of back up and it soaked every inch of the carpet in the apt. I WAS PISSED! since we just moved in and hadn't used any of the water at all.

Management comes in tears out the carpet, cleans up the mess, dries the floor and puts in some god forsaken ugly colored carpet that clashed with my furniture and they couldn't for the life of them fathom why I was so mad.
          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            Quoth dalesys View Post
            I suspect DaDairyDruid. That cat is at the top of every Wanted! poster.
            Exactly. He visits a lot, but doesn't post as much as I do.
            Random conversation:

Comment

sounds like it might be a ruptured pipe in the ground. Depending on where the break is, it could be either your responsibility, your neighbour's, or even the city/town

Comment

You're right about our neighbor being a piece of work. I pretty much just told him to stuff it when he came by asking if we were going to foot our half of the the bill, just as I suspected. Never mind that I managed to get him an extra discount because of the tech last night.

I never asked him to call RotoRooter, I never even said we'd pay for half of it. We've pretty much decided that if he wants the damn money he can see us in small claims court. And I doubt he's going to go to the other neighbors and look for money. After all, it's our fault. He's pretty much said that, even if he doesn't say it to us. His actions say it all.

As for the problem, the new tech said that all garbage disposals are junk, not worth the money paid for, that all it does is grind up the stuff, swirl it around and coat it on the walls of the disposal. I'm not sure how much of that I believe, seeing as all the crud coming up wasn't ours.

Quoth blas View Post
                Is this an apartment complex or a duplex or something like that?

Once last spring and once last summer (about three months apart) my kitchen sink backed up with some ungodly whitish brownish curdled liquid that smelled like rotten milk.

I don't know if it happened to any of my neighbors or what caused it. I just bought some Drano and that took care of the clog, but then I had to find something to get rid of the smell, because both times it had been there for several hours, once while I was asleep and the other while I was at the gym and running errands.
                It's a townhouse complex. There's I think 4-5 homes per building.
                Last edited by fma_fanatic; 11-25-2010, 03:11 PM.
                Random conversation:

Comment

As the backup is going into multiple units, the plug is going to be in the common pipes some place. Those pipes belong to the complex owners, just like the exterior walls and roof. What is coming up the drain is not yours. It is what is back flushing from the other units or any sink, tub or toilet that is higher than yours. I hope you have warned all your neighbors or you could have a real mess.

As soon as I found out that it affected multiple units, I would have called the complex management to have them take care of it.

The plug could be caused by a crushed pipe, roots growing into the pipes or any number of things are are not the fault of any of the tenants.

If, after fixing the problem, it can be shown that the clog was "caused" by one of the tenants, then the complex management can collect from the tenant.

As is, RotoRooter can not bill you for the services. You did not authorize them. Your neighbor did. He is responsible for the bill. Whether you volunteer to assist is another story.

As for the tech, apparently stupid runs deep in him. He doesn't know anything about garbage disposals or diplomacy. That is not how you get repeat business.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

it depends on the model, the cheaper the model, the less it can handle; it sound like they're cheap ones. with some foods, especially stringy stuff, the waste can clog up the pipes just like hair does, causing a backflow.
                    '
                    it sounds like your unit shares the plumbing system? if so, the clog could be anywhere...
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                    X