This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read what I type.

I just had this discussion between head office in Japan, and the data center somewhere in China:

DC: Data center.
    HQ: Headquarters
    Me: In need a PFY to my BOFH.

(note: all parties can see all parts of the conversation)
    Me: Datacenter, server 2 is down. Can you power cycle it?
    DC: Do you mean server 82?
    Me: Server 2 is down. Please power cycle.
    DC: K. All better.
    HQ: Did you mean server 82?
    Me: *facepalm* No. Server 2 was down, but is better now.
    HQ: Oh. Ok.

I know there's a language barrier, but numbers don't change really between languages. The way they're spoken, but written they're the same. In addition, all parties speak English rather well.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Maybe there was something wrong with 82 earlier in the day and they thought you were referring to that...? Is there even a server 82?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      Maybe there was something wrong with 82 earlier in the day and they thought you were referring to that...? Is there even a server 82?
      Nope. that server had no reports of outages over the last 3 weeks. the server exists, but apparently everyone thinks I typo a lot or something, even though my emails are grammatically and syntactically correct, and triple check everything before I do it (not doing so results in downed servers, lost job, and probably shortly followed by foreclosure.)

Comment

Chinese datacenter? That's gotta be asking for trouble. Stay in the first world when it comes to hosting folks.

I wonder why they keep blaming server 82... maybe there's a story you don't know about.

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
        Me: In need a PFY to my BOFH.
        Where do I apply?
        Last edited by roothorick; 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Quoth roothorick View Post
          Chinese datacenter? That's gotta be asking for trouble. Stay in the first world when it comes to hosting folks.
          Well, I do work for a Japanese owned company, working in their Managed Services department for a client in Japan, so it's not too bad. Technically, I'm the outsourced one. :-)

Quoth roothorick View Post
          Where do I apply?
          Right here. *hands over a foil coated book with a cord attached*

Nevermind the cord. it's for grounding...so you don't fry anything... >_> <_<

Comment

China is pretty technologically advanced, so Japanese companies tend to do a lot of business with Chinese companies, from what I could tell when I lived there (Japan).

Comment

Working...
            X