This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer advice...

I'm not a beer drinker, my dad is. He didn't give me much as far as gift ideas, so I was thinking maybe some seasonal beers or something like that. In the past he's requested a case of Bass and Guinness; there's Blue Moon in the fridge right now, apparently (my brother has one in the living room right now). Recent years I've given him Black Sambuca (he and I are the only ones who drink that), but that's pretty much a staple in his liquor cabinet; I want to do something different.

Any ideas for gifty kinda beers?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Since you live in NJ you should be able to get Yuengling. It is an amazing beer, and I can't wait till summer (when I go to Myrtle Beach on vacation)to have some again.

Saporro from Japan is a delicious beer.

Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale. I remember it was awesome. I don't have any idea if you can find it, though.

Kalnapilis Dortmunder - I've only had it once, but it is very good. I described it as "better then sex".
    Last edited by Victory Sabre; 12-05-2010, 10:10 PM.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

You can get nice gift boxes of 10-12 beers from Earth Fare, Fresh Market, and World Market. I don't know if you have those stores where you are, but they are collections of different beers, so you can sample a whole bunch of different beers you might not otherwise know about. My dad, my BILs, and the beer drinkers in my life always seem to enjoy them.

Comment

You might want to try a Beer of the Month Club. I have never tried any of them, so I can't make a recommendation.

We have a restaurant chain down here that has 350 beers to chose from. No need to join a club.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          I'm not a beer drinker, my dad is.<snip>
          Any ideas for gifty kinda beers?
          I'm not much of one either* but the ones I'm fond of are(in order)

Köstritzer Schwarzbier-which is a dark Lager, oddly enough it's not bitter like most dark bier-we have a German bar/restaurant three blocks away that has it on tap. My friends are aware that I am a bit fond of stouts, and darker beers(like Guinness), and are quite shocked when I get them to try this one.

anything from Unibroue-partial to "La Fin Du Monde"

and the old standby-Monty Python's Holy Grail-I originally bought it for the "amusement factor" but it is actually a pretty decent beverage.

*what I normally drink is Guinness, Blue Moon, and Strongbow cider(strongbow and Guinness together is known as a "snakebite"-quite tasty)
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Thanks guys. RK, I don't think we have any of those stores around here (if we do I've never seen them). Wegman's has a pretty decent liquor store (as far as I can tell in my limited experience); maybe I'll start there and see what they have.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Consider a kit to make his own. He'll easily enjoy that new hobby.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Paging Jester. Paging Jester...

Rapscallion

Comment

Maybe offer to buy him dinner (and beers) at a favorite brew pub?
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Perhaps some kind of gift pack? Something like this. I looked at this one myself as a gift for my brother. Many breweries make them.

Comment

Working...
                    X