This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pretty sure I know where I live

While looking over my paycheck online I noticed something strange - I was getting taxes taken out for St. Louis City. Strange, seeing as I live in the county.

So Monday, I called Payroll and talked to them about it. They said they'd have to investigate and call me back. I figured okay, went on with my day and didn't think anything about it.

Wednesday I realized that no one had e-mailed or called me back, so I called again. I get told that they're still investigating, they will get in touch with me. Once more I get busy and don't hear anything.

Thursday, I call again, and explain that it really doesn't take all that long to simply look up and see that my zip code is in the county not the city.

Payroll: Well, we need to make sure you don't live in the city.
    Me: I'm fairly certain I don't live in the city. The city is a good 20 minutes or so away from my house.

So I wait. Friday I call again after I e-mailed someone in the corporate office to find out who I can talk to and ask for them. After explaining the situation and even telling her that, hey, I can pull up a PDF of the zipcodes in the city and mine isn't on there, she has me forward it to her while I'm on the phone and checks it. A few minutes later, she tells me that I'll get the taxes I paid back since I shouldn't have had them taken out in the first place and apologizes for this not getting taken care of sooner.

I've heard that this is not the first time this has happened, and that it really is like pulling teeth to get it corrected.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Everyone knows payroll and HR never make mistakes.

Wow, I even typed that with a straight face.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I can believe it. That's just revolting!
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Sounds like something that happened where I work. My dispatch office is in CT, yet I live in MA.

They started taking taxes out for CT, yet there's one small problem... CT and MA don't have reciprocal agreements (basically if they did.. I would only need to tell MA that I had CT taxes taken out.. get the cash from them), so they had to put my location as a sales office.

Comment

Something similar like that happened to some coworkers.

They were told that since they WORK in the city, the city taxes were taken out. IDK if that may have any bearing on your situation, but I hope you get it worked out.

Comment

St. Louis is weird.

You can use St. Louis MO with an address for some of the inner suburbs and sections of the county.

put 63130 into google maps. it's the zip code university city (per the ucity website) but st. louis comes up

st louis also has the 1% tax. if you work inside the city limits you owe it.

Comment

The sarcastic side of me just has to say this. "See, while you were asleep..gnomes .. or some other of the 'wee folk' came and moved everything..including your house exactly the distance needed so you would have been in the old city line. So you live within the 'old' boundaries of where the city used to be, but don't know it."
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
                St. Louis is weird.

You can use St. Louis MO with an address for some of the inner suburbs and sections of the county.

put 63130 into google maps. it's the zip code university city (per the ucity website) but st. louis comes up

st louis also has the 1% tax. if you work inside the city limits you owe it.
                Oh yeah, but I'm the county, unincorporated at that, and I work in the county, so I'm not subject to that.

For whatever reason, the computer suddenly decided after working at my company for six and a half years that I lived in the city and was therefore subject to the tax. I did check my paycheck and I don't see where it's been returned to me, so I guess I'll have to call tomorrow. This should be fun, I'm sure I'll have time between catching up and returning calls after being off all week.

Quoth Mytical View Post
                The sarcastic side of me just has to say this. "See, while you were asleep..gnomes .. or some other of the 'wee folk' came and moved everything..including your house exactly the distance needed so you would have been in the old city line. So you live within the 'old' boundaries of where the city used to be, but don't know it."
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

though... if it took them that long to figure out where you live
                  how long will it take them to refund you the money?

Comment

Working...
                  X