X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not paying for your lunch break

Especially not for your whole crew!

Not sure if this should even go on this board, since I'm the customer in this case...

Tree company shows up to grind down some stumps at a condo that I manage. They forget to bring diesel with them for the grinder and have to leave to go get some. They come back two hours later with their diesel (and sodas from the local chinese buffet) and finish the job in about an hour.

Supervisor hands me a bill for three hours of labor for each.

Um, no, you showed up to work without gas and I'm not paying for you to sit at a buffet when you should have gone to the gas station a block away and gotten my job done first. Their boss wasn't happy about it either when I called...

Jeepers, that's a little presumptuous of them...big brass ones right there! Two hours to "get diesel"?
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Yeeeeeeaaaano. They get paid for the time they worked, unless some sort of paid break was agreed upon- they're not getting paid for two hours of not working and ONE hour of getting anything done.

Comment

If they were WORKing for 4 hours or more, I would gladly pay a 15 minute break. But on a 1-hour job to expect a 2-hour paid break? That takes chutzpah!

(def: Chutzpah -- where someone commits murder of both his parents, then asks for mercy from the court because he's an orphan.)
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Wow I can't believe they tried to pull that, I bet their boss has some choice words for them.

Comment

Normally, I'm all for the idea that the worker's rights always trump the manger & customer's rights, but that's just inexcusable! A lunch hour for a 6-8 hour day, sure. But I wouldn't pay them a dime for that!
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

and it may depend on your state but... where i am, the employer does not pay for your lunch break unless it's a weird situation where you have to eat while working etc.

Comment

Raveni, How did this end?

Tell me your boss didnt pay the entire bill.

Comment

Though technically my bosses are the Board of Directors, they can't sign the checks if I don't print them.

The vendor issued a corrected bill.

Comment

Wow, that's ballsy!

Comment

So when did they start selling diesel at the local Chinese buffet, hmmm, guys?
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        So when did they start selling gas at the local Chinese buffet, hmmm, guys?
                        Corrected...now do you REALLY want the answer to that question?
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                        X