This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Trauma and Drama

I don't have a clue how to classify this, or what I should have done differently so it didn't become the soap opera that it did.

I wanted my hair cut. Really simple, just trimming the bottom, bangs, and back. It looked fine when the stylist finished it at Salon 1. We weren't sure if it was as short as I wanted in the back, so she said come back tomorrow if I decided it wasn't. However, when I got home, washed and blow-dryed, I was certain that the right side had somehow been thinned, and it was obvious the left side was longer. So I went back, explained that I'd like it evened-up, and decided to shorten it more in the back. The stylist fixed it for free, and this time I was CERTAIN I liked it, though she'd gone shorter in the back in more layers than I'd expected. Again, when I got home, washed and blow-dried it, it was obvious that she had thinned (for some reason, taking a section out by my ear) the right side even more, and again the left side was almost untouched; this time too my bangs were crooked. I tried convincing myself I was seeing things, but the next day I asked some coworkers their opinions and when I showed them the back got looks and 'Oh my god, it's so crooked!' It took another salon to point-out the 'steps' in the back of my head where the stylist had 'layered' it, but not blended it. I was pretty mortified, because it turned-out the left side really was about 2-inches longer than the right. Everyone assured me you didn't really notice it, but I wanted it fixed. But I was embarrassed to go back to Salon 1 and was afraid I'd anger the Stylist and she might do something to my hair. I kept trying to rationalize that maybe we'd been talking too much and she got distracted, or that the phone call she'd had to take in the middle of it had made her forget where she'd left off, or maybe the style was hard for her, etc.. So I booked an appointment at Salon 2 and was recommended to call the District Manager of Salon 1 to complain. I just told the DM who'd cut my hair, that I'd had it fixed twice, but that I didn't want to go back a third time. I tried NOT to make the Stylist be the Villain, I just emphasized that I was unhappy that my hair was messed-up twice.

Long story short, Salon 2 fixed my hair for free; it's not what I was going for, but at least it's even. Later the next day at work a coworker told my the Stylist wanted to talk to me, because she'd gotten written-up by the DM. I talked to the Stylist who was upset that I hadn't come back to her, and that coworker had approached HER and told her that I 'was mad at her!' It was very awkward; I told her I didn't have anything against her, it was not personal, and that yes my hair had looked fine after she finished (while it was still wet) but that it was pronounced after drying and styling. I told her I hadn't gone off on her to my coworker or the DM, only that I was very upset at the damage to my hair and maybe overreacted, but if it hadn't worked-out a 2nd time I wanted to see if someone else would have better luck with my hair.

It just seemed to get so out of hand, and I don't know for sure if coworker exacerbated things by telling the Stylist I was mad at her, or if she even did so. The Stylist also said that the DM said I complained about 'the way she talked to me' which was not the case at all; I don't know how the DM got that. I did call the DM back and say that I was not mad at the Stylist personally and that I hadn't wanted her to get in trouble, that we all have bad days and maybe I was overreacting. Sigh. Things are very awkward at work now since I have to walk by Salon 1 all the time, and keep getting death glares. Should I have given the Stylist another chance, or waited to show the DM in-person so she could fix it, or what?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I....erm....wow. Maybe the DM was really trying to point out she screwed up and this wasn't a first instance?

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      I....erm....wow. Maybe the DM was really trying to point out she screwed up and this wasn't a first instance?
      The Stylist was adamant that this was the first complaint she'd ever gotten and that even the DM said so. I don't know; they could be at odds with each-other and it's a he-said/she said type deal.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Either way I wouldn't be going back to salon 1.

Comment

Ditto to Akasa.

Comment

I wouldn't go back to Salon 1 ever again, TBH. It's one thing if they flub up once, but to do it TWICE? Where did she learn how to cut hair? Even I know how to blend layers and I am not by any stretch of imagination a hairdresser....
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Somehow, if she messed up twice, it would be...well she should get written up, that's a pretty big mistake.

But to keep giving you death glares?! She's being an immature brat about it. She messed up. Period. You were as nice as you could be, telling everyone that you weren't mad at her, you just weren't happy about the haircut.

You were totally fine in my book. She's being a bitch if all she can do is give you death glares and pout about it.
              "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
              "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
              Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Well, you have Salon 1, the stylist messed up twice and blame you for it. Then you have Salon 2, they fixed the mess of someone else for free.
                I know where I would go. Even if the stylist of Salon 1 doesn't mess things up by mistake this time, she may be immature enough to do it on purpose.
                Ignore her sulking, she will get over it some day.

Comment

i agree.

in my book screwing up my hair even once usually means i won't come back.
                  you gave her two tries.
                  you even explained to her what you really said to the DM.

Now they're glaring at you?
                  yeah forget them. that's immature.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                    Well, you have Salon 1, the stylist messed up twice and blame you for it. Then you have Salon 2, they fixed the mess of someone else for free.
                    I know where I would go. Even if the stylist of Salon 1 doesn't mess things up by mistake this time, she may be immature enough to do it on purpose.
                    I agree with Mikkel. Salon 2 is the place to go. I would however (having a mean streak in me), mention to the manager of Salon 1, that I would have given them another chance if 'Hairdresser' wasn't behaving so unprofessionally that I was worried she would deliberately screw up this time.

Comment

Go to Salon 2.

My guess is that the stylist at Salon 1 got distracted by that phone call and doesn't want to admit it. Nobody's perfect, but she messed up twice. It sounds like she didn't even really understand what was wrong with it when you went back to have it fixed. I definitely wouldn't go back there.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The stylist is being paid for her skills. She does not apparently have the necessary skills, therefore, she should not be paid.

My sister owns a salon. If you are not happy, she is not happy. Give the stylist a chance to fix it. If she doesn't, then you should be refunded your money and given a free fix by the manager or owner.

You should not be afraid of your stylist.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

If it looked fine wet and they looked like crap dry that means the girl doesn't know how to deal with your type of hair. I used to have this issue as my hair foofed up when it dried (thankfully it isn't as foofy now) and some hair cutters just don't know how to work around that, anyone who actually calls themself a stylist shouldn't have any problem.

Comment

Quoth Solumina View Post
                            If it looked fine wet and they looked like crap dry that means the girl doesn't know how to deal with your type of hair. I used to have this issue as my hair foofed up when it dried (thankfully it isn't as foofy now) and some hair cutters just don't know how to work around that, anyone who actually calls themself a stylist shouldn't have any problem.
                            What she said, and also: there's a reason I cut my own hair.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Just to let everyone know, when the DM called me back regarding my feeling bad about the Stylist getting in trouble, the DM was PISSED that the Stylist had even approached me, the customer, about that. According to the DM, she had never said anything of the sort to the Stylist; she said that they would discuss it when she came into the Salon. She was even more mad now about the Stylist's lack of professionalism and her continuing to hound me about why I 'got her in trouble.' And According to my coworker, she never told the Stylist that I was mad at her, she just let her know I wasn't happy with my hair (she still should have stayed out of it though).

The DM did let me know, though, that it's best to let the the Salon blow dry your hair before you leave so you can see how it looks finished; I never knew that, but in any case the DM said that the Stylist still should have noticed the mistake before it was dried.

Ugh, just, ugh. Such a soap opera.

Comment

Working...
                              X