This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On being a good neighbor

<background>We have a car mechanic on staff, he's doing maintenance and smaller repairs on our delivery fleet and forklifts. Saves us a lot of money, because we can catch any problems very early.</background>

On Monday the owner of a catering company next door called, one of their lorries broke down and they we unable to find a big enough rental. "Could our mechanic have a look, perhaps it could be repaired quickly..." Well, of course he could have a look, after all those are the guys who deliver delicious foods to our office parties and functions. The food for our January after holiday party was already ordered.

So the mechanic went over and I tagged along. The face of the catering boss fell as the mechanic pronouced the lorry dead, something about the transmission or something. (I have no clue about cars at all.) So I quickly phoned our fleet manager, yep, we had a big enough lorry which we didn't need for at least a week. The catering boss really did the happy dance as I offered it to him. They had many many contracts for the week and without a big enough lorry, it would have been next to impossible to deliver the food on time.

Fast forward to today (Thursday). The lorry drove back on our yard, the catering owner came up to my office to express his gratitude again, grinning he handed me an envelope: "Oh, about the order you placed for January, the confirmation we sent you... it needed some modification."
    Me: Huh? *reading letter* He had given us a 75% discount! His reason? We had saved his butt big time, so we deserved it.

So sometimes being a good neighbor gets you a really good deal. YUM!
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

We've had a good relationship with neighbouring companies before. We had to borrow a pallet of pallet wrap from someone once when we'd otherwise have been stuffed. In turn, they've borrowed a counterbalance fork truck at one point.

It's those little things that really make it.

Rapscallion

Comment

now that is what small business is all about! i wish more companies had a philosophy like that. when i was at the bent paper clip we referred people to one p repair place and he would in turn refer people to us

Comment

Yeah, helping out like that costs you next to nothing, but it can bring good things in return. I've always found that a good philosophy, and I've been rarely disappointed.

The companies in our business park are all on friendly terms with each other; one of them has a cafeteria we all share, when they needed to bring it up to some new standards we all pitched in. Keeping the cafeteria would have been too much for one smaller company, so now we are all sorta owners.
        No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Us Realtors are in competiton but we have to cooperate.One time I referred a client to another Realtor & not only did she give me a 30% referral fee (usual is 20-25%) but called our office manager to find out what I drank (OM was a good drinkin' buddy) & sent me a bottle of Glenlivet.
          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X